Continuously-variable output lights vs fixed several mode output lights

opus360

Newly Enlightened
I am intrigued by the Nitecore SRT5 and SRT7 for its ability to adjust output light from about 1 lumen all the way to about 750 lumens. I now have a Fenix E12, which has 8 lumens, 50 lumens and 130 lumens output. I used the E12 mainly at around 8 lumens, but sometimes I find 8 lumens too bright. In that case, I wrapped my hand round the flashlight to lower the output level. Right now, I am looking at the Nitecore P12, SRT5 and SRT7. How often do you find a need to use the continuous variable output as opposed to the fixed steps ones?

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been 'mostly' carrying a Sunwayman V11R variable output light, or an EagleTac D25C clicky 'fixed output' light for the past year.

Ideally IMO, every light would be variable, but they're not. As long as you can get a moonlight/firefly mode on your light, or something <5LM, variability really won't matter too much.

I have a dated ShiningBeam I-Mini, which does 7-260 on a li-ion and that low seems fine for most close up duties, although it doesn't qualify as a firefly mode.

Chris

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have EDC a V11R for quite a while now & I love the variable output.
However, i do feel that the control ring segment has the tendency to trap dust due to the excessive turning (maybe just me). And I'm not sure if the control ring portion is rugged enough for abuse.

If im going tracking or camping, i will usually go for my tried and tested P60 format light which are all fixed step outputs.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I have a Nitecore SRT3. Love the infinitely-variable UI. Only downside for me is that the ring adds a bit of weight and length, which makes the SRT3 somewhat big for a pocket. On a larger light like the SRT5 or SRT7, the added size and length should be less of an issue.