Review: Olight S10R (XM-L2, 1x RCR123/CR123, Rechargeable, 400 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review section -

2mfalxg.jpg

Olight has recently given their Baton series flashlights (S10/S15/S20) an update. These now include a rechargeable feature, therefor the "R" in the model name.
The rechargeable versions offer similar looks and specifications as the previous generation, except the included Olight battery and USB-charging dock.

Although they're similar I did three individual reviews for the S10R (1x RCR123/CR123), S15R (1x 14500/AA) and S20R (1x 18650/2x CR123).
Now lets get started :)

The packaging:

hvsztc.jpg
fdviid.jpg
6zwztw.jpg
261gghf.jpg

The S10R comes in a almost 'standard' Olight transparent plastic packaging. On the outside you'll find some features and specifications.
Now lets take a look what's all included.

28s3gpg.jpg

Packaging includes: the S10R, a manual, Olight leaflet, lanyard, spare o-rings and split ring. On the bottom you will see a black cardboard box. This box includes the charging-dock and USB-cable. A manual that shows you
how to attach the sticky-gel pad. The included battery is already inside the light.

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

• NEW Low-profile side switch featuring a battery power indicator, which glows red when battery runs low
  • NEW Includes patent-pending Micro-USB charging dock and a 650mAh RCR123A rechargeable battery
  • NEW Thermal management safety program provides overheating protection by dropping high output by 50% after 4.5 minutes of constant on.
  • NEW Glow-in-the-dark o-ring in bezel to help locate flashlight from accidentally dropping it
  • 99% light transmittance rate through tempered glass, with two-sided anti-reflective coating
  • Multi-function side switch with four brightness levels, plus a strobe mode
  • Automatically return to your last brightness level with the built in memory function
  • Removable two-position pocket clip
  • Flat tailcap with strong magnet, giving you the ability to use the light as a hands-free worklight
  • Highly reliable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy structure with ant-scratch, Type-III hard anodizing with a stainless steel bezel to protect against drops
  • Reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation
  • Can be powered by one non-rechargeable CR123A lithium battery as a last resort in an emergency.
  • Low standby current below 8uA
mvp0mq.png

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

291nv35.jpg
5pfx4h.jpg

2n88m7d.jpg
24fmkg8.jpg

1zf0tht.jpg

15xqoad.jpg
1zei843.jpg

2882ofs.jpg
23rttmd.jpg

The S10R has similar dimensions as the older S10-L2. It's slightly longer and heavier because of the charging feature it now has. The led is well centered. The smooth reflector gives the S10R
some throw although his small size. The looks are kept quite the same compared with the older Baton series lights. The clip holds the light firmly and won't come off easily. It also clips good onto your belt or pants.
The clip still can be used in two ways, head up or head down.

Looking inside the light, there hasn't changed anything. The S10R, just like the S10-L2, uses a spring at the head for contact with the battery. Next to the spring you see the reverse-polarity protection.

2u4u4uc.jpg
jrsj87.jpg

New on the S10R is the recessed switch-button. This prevents the light accidental turning-on. In the middle of the button you see a clear spot. Underneath is a battery-indicator which let you know when, you have to change or charge your battery. The manual tells when you're using a CR123, this red-colored indicator will be constant on. I've tested this battery-indicator and it behaved differently than I thought. After a minute or 10 the indicator turned-on but the light was still going strong. I expected the indicator to start blinking when the battery was near empty. This didn't happen and the light turned-off when the battery hit 3.15V.

The "R" series has a new tailcap for the charging feature, but you can still twisted the tailcap for lockout. There are two contact points, an outer ring and a inner contact-point that magnetically connects with the charging dock.
Because one contact point is recessed, a short-circuit won't happen :)

The head on the S10R hasn't changed much, compared with the S10-L2. It still has the stainless steel ring and a GITD o-ring. My S10-L2 does have a OP reflector and a red o-ring, where the S10R have a smooth reflector and a blue o-ring.

The S10R has square-cut and anodized thread. The threads came well lubed out of the box.

16k54c1.jpg
2ev3kp5.jpg

4r2rma.jpg
2cyp748.jpg

Charging dock:

The included charging dock makes charging the S10R (as well the S15R and S20R) a piece of cake. No need to remove the battery and put it in a separate charger.
The S10R uses the same charger as provided with the S15R and S20R. It charges the light with 4.55V / 0.5A. The dock also has a extended USB-port for charging other electronic products. The output of the extended port
is 5V / 2A.
On the charging dock there is a led indicator which lets you know if charging is done. When connected but not charging, the led blinks red. When charging it's solid red and when charging is completed it's green.
The dock charged my sample till 3.92V.

2e37ptk.jpg
ehalxs.jpg

2ebc26p.jpg
mmue79.jpg

Olight battery:

2h82r9g.jpg
16j4ztt.jpg

2ntk021.jpg

User Interface:

The user interface hasn't changed.
From Off: click to turn On in last used output mode. Click again to turn Off. When On press and hold to cycle between Low > Med > High.
To enter Moonlight, press and hold from Off. Double click from Off to enter High. Double click while On gives you a Strobe.

Lockout is also still possible (besides twisting the tailcap). From Off, press and hold for two seconds. To unlock, press and hold for one second. The light will automatically enter Moonlight mode.

Size comparison:

546ptl.jpg

(From L to R: Olight RCR123, Lumintop ED10, Olight S10-L2, Olight S10R)

mlmbvb.jpg
2crmz47.jpg

S10-L2 next to the S10R :)

And the rechargeable Baton family.

24brjba.jpg
1qhhtv.jpg

Indoor Beamshots:

ISO400, 1/125 sec, F5.0 - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.5m away from wall. Olight RCR123 battery.

Moonlight - Low

21358j.jpg
2rzbf5k.jpg

Medium - High

16llnjd.jpg
20rs61g.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots:

ISO1600, 3.2 sec, F11 - High mode

Pole about 20 meters in front.

98dk3q.jpg

Conclusion:

Olight has updated an already great light, and put it on a even higher level. The easiness of charging the light, makes the S10R a superb light IMO.
While keeping the same looks and UI, it still feels like a totally new light. Because of the complete package, you could even consider it a present for a non-flashaholic.
The light is still small enough to EDC and with the new recessed with you won't have to worry about accidental activation.

S10R was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good read, thank you KJ2.

Did you ever get your charging base replaced?
Stopping charge at 3.92 is being robbed of reserves I'd think.

kj2

Flashaholic
For the glory of the review, the product should be yours in the end.
Reviewed the S10R, S15R and S20R at the same time. Could keep one, and chose for the S20R.
Wish I could keep all of my review samples, for later comparison, but that isn't always possible.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've received the two S10Rs I ordered.
I can't say much yet, been in my hands less then 60 minutes.
Well packaged, look great, feel great, clip is not denim friendly.
Both lights had dry threads and felt a little rough, though i lubed them up and all good, no issue.

Grabbed DMM, one cell from first light checked at 3.7v, perfect I thought, assembled light and put it on base charger.

Cell from second light, checked 0v, grabbed another DMM, same. Bah.
Wondered if charger is smart and can resurrect, nope, bah.

So i grabbed old charger that can, and is right now as I type.
One cell is charging in light, and the other cell is charging in another RCR charger I have.

Looking forward to resting charge voltage of cell being done in light, and curious how well second cell recovers. 👍👎

Sorry, edited worst typos .👅

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've removed battery that was dead, from my external charger and placed it back into light after verifying high enough voltage to charge on dummy charger.

Both lights have completed charging, both charge to 4.14v tops.
Obviously not acceptable so I've emailed OEM asking what can be done.
I know I read that Selfbuilt found the battery ceiling was 4.14 and not the light limiting a full charge, idk.
I'm hoping Olight can fix me up by sending me updated fix whether charger, tail cap, battery or all three.

I don't think that's too much to ask and I have nicely.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a reply after I sent another email, just confirmed my address and said they were sending a cap(s) I've two lights.

I asked if this fixed light sometimes not working because center pin is dislodged, was not answered.
Nor about why my batteries only charge to 4.14.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about this.

beaconterraone

Newly Enlightened
Olight sent me the S10 to replace a broken i1. I love the S10, and am considering getting the S10R for the rechargeable factor. Thanks for the great review!