Review: Olight S15R (XM-L2, 1x 14500/AA, Rechargeable, 280 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review section -

sq2v6t.jpg

Olight has recently given their Baton series flashlights (S10/S15/S20) an update. These now include a rechargeable feature, therefor the "R" in the model name.
The rechargeable versions offer similar looks and specifications as the previous generation, except the included Olight battery and USB-charging dock.

Although they're similar I did three individual reviews for the S10R (1x RCR123/CR123), S15R (1x 14500/AA) and S20R (1x 18650/2x CR123).
Now lets get started :)

The packaging:

34xpagk.jpg
2m6wggy.jpg

skujnq.jpg
2lb01lh.jpg

The S15R comes in a almost 'standard' Olight transparent plastic packaging. On the outside you'll find some features and specifications.
Now lets take a look what's all included.

krq4m.jpg

Packaging includes: the S15R, a manual, Olight leaflet, lanyard, spare o-rings and split ring. On the bottom you will see a black cardboard box. This box includes the charging-dock and USB-cable. A manual that shows you
how to attach the sticky-gel pad. The included battery is already inside the light.

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

• NEW Low-profile side switch featuring a battery power indicator, which glows red when battery runs low
  • NEW Includes patent-pending Micro-USB charging dock and a 14500 750mAh rechargeable battery
  • NEW Thermal management safety program provides overheating protection by dropping high output to medium output after 15 minutes of constant on.
  • NEW Glow-in-the-dark o-ring in bezel to help locate flashlight from accidentally dropping it
  • 99% light transmittance rate through tempered glass, with two-sided anti-reflective coating
  • Multi-function side switch with four brightness levels, plus a strobe mode
  • Automatically return to your last brightness level with the built in memory function
  • Removable two-position pocket clip
  • Flat tailcap with strong magnet, giving you the ability to use the light as a hands-free worklight
  • Highly reliable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy structure with ant-scratch, Type-III hard anodizing with a stainless steel bezel to protect against drops
  • Reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation
  • Low standby current below 1.5uA
dy15bp.png

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

2vs4710.jpg
3005eo9.jpg

15zm4xj.jpg
20r3gxd.jpg

1z69obd.jpg
2lxjl6q.jpg

nqegk7.jpg
2vj1l5z.jpg

34e3q08.jpg
2iqc1u.jpg

The S15R has similar dimensions as the older S15-L2. It's slightly longer and heavier because of the charging feature it now has. The led is well centered. The smooth reflector gives the S15R
some throw although his small size. The looks are kept quite the same compared with the older Baton series lights. The clip holds the light firmly and won't come off easily. It also clips good onto your belt or pants.
The clip still can be used in two ways, head up or head down.

Looking inside the light, there hasn't changed anything. The S15R, just like the S15-L2, uses a flat contact point for the battery. The S15R doesn't feature a physical reverse-polarity protection.

14c3zw6.jpg
jrsj87.jpg

New on the S15R is the recessed switch-button. This prevents the light accidental turning-on. In the middle of the button you see a clear spot. Underneath is a battery-indicator which let you know when, you have to change or charge your battery. After 15 minutes the light stepped-down to medium. It was possible to turn it back into High. The light did cut-off, without letting the battery-indicator blink. Battery was at that time around 3.35V.
Although it took quite some time before it turned-off, the light wasn't hot or anything.

The "R" series has a new tailcap for the charging feature, but you can still twisted the tailcap for lockout. There are two contact points, an outer ring and a inner contact-point that magnetically connects with the charging dock.
Because one contact point is recessed, a short-circuit won't happen :)

The head on the S15R hasn't changed much, compared with the S15-L2. It still has the stainless steel ring and a GITD o-ring. The S15R, just like the S15-L2, has a smooth reflector.
The S15R supports up to 4.2V, so you could run 2x AA in this light, with a extra extender. Use only one 14500 though ;)

The S15R has square-cut and anodized thread. The threads came well lubed out of the box.
(S10R photo used to show red battery indicator)
1057kfd.jpg
2qmes5f.jpg

2ytvckl.jpg
2cyp748.jpg

Charging dock:

The included charging dock makes charging the S15R (as well the S10R and S20R) a piece of cake. No need to remove the battery and put it in a separate charger.
The S15R uses the same charger as provided with the S10R and S20R. It charges the light with 4.55V / 0.5A. The dock also has a extended USB-port for charging other electronic products. The output of the extended port
is 5V / 2A.
On the charging dock there is a led indicator which lets you know if charging is done. When connected but not charging, the led blinks red. When charging it's solid red and when charging is completed it's green.
The dock charged my sample till 4.14V.

2e37ptk.jpg
ehalxs.jpg

3508lso.jpg
106g2yr.jpg

Olight battery:

nwkbxl.jpg
2utnq0w.jpg

User Interface:

The user interface hasn't changed.
From Off: click to turn On in last used output mode. Click again to turn Off. When On press and hold to cycle between Low > Med > High.
To enter Moonlight, press and hold from Off. Double click from Off to enter High. Double click while On gives you a Strobe.

Lockout is also still possible (besides twisting the tailcap). From Off, press and hold for two seconds. To unlock, press and hold for one second. The light will automatically enter Moonlight mode.

Size comparison:

14ms7l.jpg

(From L to R: Olight 14500 battery, Olight S10-L2, S15R, Sunwayman R10A)

mv44km.jpg
1hrw5l.jpg

The S15R next to the S15-L2.

And the rechargeable Baton family :)

24brjba.jpg
1qhhtv.jpg

Indoor Beamshots:

ISO400, 1/125 sec, F5.0 - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.5m away from wall. Olight 14500 battery.

Moonlight - Low

kceds2.jpg
xbi6ft.jpg

Medium - High

8zn3up.jpg
nwezo1.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots:

ISO1600, 3.2 sec, F11 - High mode

Pole about 20 meters in front.

2j2dtnt.jpg

Conclusion:

Olight has updated an already great light, and put it on a even higher level. The easiness of charging the light, makes the S15R a superb light IMO.
While keeping the same looks and UI, it still feels like a totally new light. Because of the complete package, you could even consider it a present for a non-flashaholic. Besides the complete package, it
also runs on a alkaline AA battery.
The light is small enough to EDC and with the new recessed with you won't have to worry about accidental activation.

S15R was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

Perfect Concept

Newly Enlightened
Nice review! This was my first light. I was very surprised at not only how small it was, but also how much light it was able to put out! I was a little worried that I would get one of the defective chargers that might be still out there, but my charger has been working well for the past few weeks. The simple charging feature definitely drew me in and I love this little light! :laughing:

teotwawki

Newly Enlightened
Great review! Being that it will support 4.2v, could it be used with 2 extension tubes and 3 AA's as the s15 could?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

kj2

Flashaholic
Great review! Being that it will support 4.2v, could it be used with 2 extension tubes and 3 AA's as the s15 could?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Three alkaline batteries (3x 1.5V) will exceed the 4.2V limit. But with rechargeable batteries (3x 1.2V) it should work.

ooFlea

Newly Enlightened
Is it ok to use 2x 14500 batteries with the extender tube?

FlashlightMonkey

Newly Enlightened
Anyone using this light with 1xNIMH Eneloop battery? Is the output and runtime equal to when using the bundled Olight 14500 battery?

I will probably get an extender so I can run with 2xNIMH Eneloop batteries in the future, but until then I wonder about your experiences.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2 cents: just received S15R. First impression was very good, but... in several minutes it became "blinky" and collapsed. The battery is OK -- checked. Tried another battery -- no response. Now starting the return procedure. Sad as hell...

P.S.: For a second the emitting diode turned on, but immediately went off again on its own. So this is definitely a circuitry failure.

Last edited: