Review: Olight S20R (XM-L2, 1x 18650/2x CR123, Rechargeable, 550 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
9la8ew.jpg
9bf4ih.jpg

Olight has recently given their Baton series flashlights (S10/S15/S20) an update. These now include a rechargeable feature, therefor the "R" in the model name.
The rechargeable versions offer similar looks and specifications as the previous generation, except the included Olight battery and USB-charging dock.

Although they're similar I did three individual reviews for the S10R (1xRCR123/CR123), S15R (1x 14500/AA) and the S20R (1x 18650/2x CR123).
Now lets get started :)

The packaging:

1z6ann.jpg
rblawx.jpg

j5lgsm.jpg
108bukl.jpg

The S20R comes in a almost 'standard' Olight transparent plastic packaging. On the outside you'll find some features and specifications.
Now lets take a look what's all included.

do6m8h.jpg

Packaging includes: the S20R, a manual, Olight leaflet, lanyard, spare o-rings and split ring. On the bottom you will see a black cardboard box. This box includes the charging-dock and USB-cable. A manual that shows you
how to attach the sticky-gel pad. The included battery is already inside the light.

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

• NEW Low-profile side switch featuring a battery power indicator, which glows red when battery runs low
  • NEW Includes patent-pending Micro-USB charging dock and an18650 2600 mAh rechargeable battery
  • NEW Thermal management safety program provides overheating protection by dropping high output by 50% after 4.5 minutes of constant on.
  • NEW Glow-in-the-dark o-ring in bezel to help locate flashlight from accidentally dropping it
  • 99% light transmittance rate through tempered glass, with two-sided anti-reflective coating
  • Multi-function side switch with four brightness levels, plus a strobe mode
  • Automatically return to your last brightness level with the built in memory function
  • Removable two-position pocket clip
  • Flat tailcap with strong magnet, giving you the ability to use the light as a hands-free worklight
  • Highly reliable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy structure with ant-scratch, Type-III hard anodizing with a stainless steel bezel to protect against drops
  • Enhanced shock-proofing in battery contact springs to support both flat and tabular 18650 batteries
  • Reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation
  • Can be powered by two non-rechargeable CR123A lithium batteries as a last resort in an emergency.
  • Low standby current below 15uA
rkvwqw.png

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

e9ho2q.jpg
zv8lw.jpg

16i60w3.jpg
j0b394.jpg

33pdjkg.jpg

fyjrr8.jpg
2d95idf.jpg

s3o876.jpg
10r4vo1.jpg

The S20R has similar dimensions as the older S20-L2. It's slightly longer and heavier because of the charging feature it now has. The led is well centered. The smooth reflector gives the S20R
some throw for his size. The looks are kept quite the same compared with the older Baton series lights. The clip holds the light firmly and won't come off easily. It also clips good onto your belt or pants.
The clip still can be used in two ways, head up or head down. Letters are white and nicely lasered. Knurling on the body is enough for a good grip on the light, but with gloves it can be a bit slippery.

The S20R uses a spring at the head, so using a flat-top cell shouldn't give any problem. On the outside of the tailcap, you see the metal contact points to charge the light.

8x0wsi.jpg
29yo846.jpg

New on the S20R is the recessed switch-button. This prevents the light accidental turning-on. In the middle of the button you see a clear spot. Underneath is a battery-indicator which let you know when, you have to change or charge your battery. I've tested this battery-indicator and it behaved differently than I expected. After a 90-100 minutes the indicator turned-on but the light was still going strong. I expected the indicator to start blinking when the battery was near empty. This didn't happen and the light turned-off when the battery hit 2.89V.

The "R" series has a new tailcap for the charging feature, but you can still twisted the tailcap for lockout. There are two contact points, an outer ring and a inner contact-point that magnetically connects with the charging dock.
Because one contact point is recessed, a short-circuit won't happen :)

The head on the S20R hasn't changed much, compared with the S20-L2. It still has the stainless steel ring and a GITD o-ring.

The S20R has square-cut and anodized thread. The threads came well lubed out of the box.

oqdl61.jpg
2lxy1bm.jpg

28743f8.jpg
2jcudl2.jpg

(S10R photo used to show red battery indicator)

Olight has added some extra ridges on the side-switch, to provide extra grip :)

Charging dock:

The included charging dock makes charging the S20R (as well the S10R and S15R) a piece of cake. No need to remove the battery and put it in a separate charger.
The S20R uses the same charger as provided with the S10R and S15R. It charges the light with 4.55V / 0.5A. The dock also has a extended USB-port for charging other electronic products. The output of the extended port
is 5V / 2A.
On the charging dock there is a led indicator which lets you know if charging is done. When the dock is connected but not charging, the led blinks red. When charging it's solid red and when charging is completed it's green.
The dock charged my sample till 4.13V.

k1xh0k.jpg
2ztm35w.jpg

2it08p5.jpg
27yd45l.jpg

Three rubber feet underneath the dock prevents it, from sliding all over your desk.

Olight battery:

With the S20R comes a Olight 18650 battery with 2600mAh. This is a decent battery but a upgrade to 3100mAh or 3400mAh, is recommend for longer runtime.

30iyskm.jpg
2rr9j50.jpg

24wt5rl.jpg
fynxwp.jpg

User Interface:

The user interface hasn't changed.
From Off: click to turn On in last used output mode. Click again to turn Off. When On press and hold to cycle between Low > Med > High.
To enter Moonlight, press and hold from Off. Double click from Off to enter High. Double click while On gives you a Strobe.

Lockout is also still possible (besides twisting the tailcap). From Off, press and hold for two seconds. To unlock, press and hold for one second. The light will automatically enter Moonlight mode.

Size comparison:

iyewkp.jpg

(From L to R: Olight 18650 battery, Olight S20-L2, Olight S20R, Fenix PD35)

2wcmulc.jpg
28mfm1x.jpg

The S20R next to the S20-L2.

Rechargeable-Baton family together :)

24brjba.jpg
1qhhtv.jpg

Indoor Beamshots:

ISO400, 1/125 sec, F5.0 - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.5m away from wall. Olight 18650 battery.

Moonlight - Low

14llus6.jpg
30tt187.jpg

Medium - High

x2unio.jpg
2igytj8.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots:

ISO1600, 3.2 sec, F11 - High mode

Pole about 20 meters in front.

rlhl52.jpg

Conclusion:

The Olight S20 already was one of my favorite lights, but now that the rechargeable feature has been added, the S20R has a spot in my EDC-rotation.
The easiness of use and charging makes this light a superb flashlight. Although it's on the heavier-side for a EDC light, it lies good in my hand and has the power I need.
With the moonlight I can navigate through the house at night, without waking anybody. Olight did a great job on the S20R! :thumbsup:

S20R was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Nice review and thank you.

1. Does the switch on this torch have a lock out feature as the previous Olight S20 did, I do noticed that this switch is a bit more flat and recessed where the previous S20 was slightly raised.

2. How long did it take to charge the 18650 battery, thing is inductive charging can be quite slow.

On my S20 when I turn in ON the switch has a red glow on it until I press it again to turn it OFF, does this do the same.

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice review and thank you.

1. Does the switch on this torch have a lock out feature as the previous Olight S20 did, I do noticed that this switch is a bit more flat and recessed where the previous S20 was slightly raised.

2. How long did it take to charge the 18650 battery, thing is inductive charging can be quite slow.

On my S20 when I turn in ON the switch has a red glow on it until I press it again to turn it OFF, does this do the same.

A 'soft lock-out' is possible yes. Press and hold the switch for two seconds. Led will blink to indicate it's in lockout. Press and hold for one second to exit lockout.

Charging time depends on the battery used. The S20R comes with a 2600mAh battery and the cradle charges with 500mAh. To charging would maximal take around 5 hours. But the battery is protected against over-discharging it. So I guess typically charging takes around 2.5/3 hours.

The red led doesn't turn on, when you turn on the S20R. The red indicator only turns on when battery-power is low, to indicated you should charge the battery.