Twin cell battery case and QR handle bar light mount UK mini reviews

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
C&B Seen CABS-BATTCASE Helmet battery case mini review
&
CABS-FXDMT Quick Release Handle Bar Mount Mini Review

With the two lights sent for reviewing, C&B Seen also included a few accessories relevant to their light.
The first item on this review is their helmet battery case designed to work with their helmet light CABS-1200/1000
CBSEEN%20%2873%29.jpg

This twin battery case will holds two of your favourite high power 18650 batteries.
I personally have been waiting for such an item to arrive on the market for a very long time!
CBSEEN%20%2872%29.jpg
The case is made of ABS with an external rubberized feel. An external label indicates which way the batteries are inserted and also which way the end cap needs to be positioned.
Opening requires the two small catches to be squeezed in and the end cap to be pulled out.
There are no seals or gaskets, but I understand from C&B Seen that their box is waterproof to IPX 5 (•IPX-5 – Protected against low pressure water stream from any angle).
I would think that the water tightness is achieved by simple friction of the cap and body.
The lead has the standard socket to receive "o" ring type plugs used on their range of lights which are also used by other manufacturers.
This looks pretty universal to me and worked fine with other lights I have.
The unit weight is 57 grams without batteries and the dimensions are 89mm x 23mm x 52mm. A 25mm x 250mm Velcro strap assures the retention to your helmet.
A small Velcro retaining strap is also attached to the lead to secure it to one of your helmet vents.
The batteries are running in series giving 7.4v to 8.4v.
CBSEEN%20%2877%29.jpg
The battery box has no built in PCB so relies on the battery's own protection circuit to prevent over discharge.
The only thing worth mentioning is a buzzing coming from the box itself when the light was on low or medium level, (probably an induction hum).
The CABS-BATTCASE will make a good alternative battery pack to the one supplied with their helmet kit or to other manufacturers' battery pack using the same standard connector.
It should be very popular with anyone wanting to have a battery pack fitted to their helmet or only wanting a twin battery set up for a short ride.
With this item you will be able to make full use of the latest battery technology.
By using a couple of Powerpluz 3400mAp batteries in their battery helmet case, I was able to get 1h 30mn not far from the run time provided by their standard 4400 mAh battery pack
and I was also able to shave 79gr off the original combined weight of the helmet light kit.
helmetbox.jpg
CBSEEN%20%289%29.jpg
CBSEEN%20%2810%29.jpg
RRP £18.13 including UK postage (as at 30/11/14)
The second item is their quick release handle bar mount.
Like all C&B Seen products, this looks high quality.
The mount is made from ABS and is secured to the underneath of their lights via the screw, which is backed up by a sticky pad.
They also supply you with three spare 3M sticky pads.
Two sets of different sized rubber inserts are included to allow for the different handle bar sizes making the mount very secured once adjusted.
CBSEEN%20%2848%29.jpg
CBSEEN%20%2832%29.jpg
The top section has a cut out for the light lead and is adjustable on a horizontal 360 degree rotation,
which means that the cut out for the lead can be positioned front or rear according to the exit route on your current light.
CBSEEN%20%2829%29.jpg
CBSEEN%20%2836%29.JPG
I have used it with the CABS-1200 bar light and this makes the light rock solid with no movement once secured.
The only thing I regret is that this was not made with a detachable head bracket.
The QR stays attached to the light, so both are removed and refitted together necessitating the readjustment of the light angle every time this is put back on.
Good and easy to use mount, which can be used on most modern high capacity lights using a M4 mounting bolt hole.
RRP £9.99 (inc UK freepost)
Accessories sent to me for review by C&B Seen
Skyraider 59 UK

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skyraider59, thanks for another good set of reviews. Hopefully C&B will upgrade the handlebar mount to allow for a detachable head bracket. That would certainly make it more attractive, but it still looks like a good solid mount.

By the way, I was wondering if there are also springs located inside at the bottom of the CABS-BATTCASE?

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
By the way, I was wondering if there are also springs located inside at the bottom of the CABS-BATTCASE?
Yes, so the battery are well under tension, no rattle at all, also the battery compartment OD is very slightly bigger than required and my "big" OD Pluzpower 3400mAh fit loose, so there is a little room for bigger batteries when ever they come!
I know you should not get exited about a battery case, but I really like it, what has really impressed me is the kind of soft feel from the ABS plastic, type of same sensation you have when you run your fingers on a "peach", kind of hard to explain! This obviously has no connection with the good working of the light and will be irrelevant to a lot of people, but for me , despite the fact that the case is basic and made of plastic, it feels like quality made!
No in built PCB, but this does not bother me at all as I always used protected cells and I rather charge mine with my Xtar VP1, that way I can keep an eye on the cells!
CBSEEN%20%2875%29.JPG

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, I'm also one of those folks who appreciate the "feel" of a product, and I know exactly the kind of plastic you're talking about, which is SO MUCH nicer than the typcial hard, cold, and almost brittle feeling plastic found in many items. It may seem like a small thing, but it can add immeasurably to the enjoyment of using a product.

By the way, thanks for the photo of the inside of the case. Seems to be a nicely made and useful accessory.