Anybody Mod a Jetbeam TC-R2?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was thinking of having my TC-R2 modded with a Nichia 219. I wonder if anybody else has and if it is possible without marring the finish? Thanks.

gunga

Flashaholic
I did an rrt-0. Same thing. Not too bad. Just take the bezel off and you can access the LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

gunga

Flashaholic
I don't remember too clearly. I don't remember any rings. I did it for a fellow cpfer. I'll have to look him up. Note, you can also replace the tail switch with a McClicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago I modded my Jetbeam TCR-01. I replaced the stock emitter and reflector with a triple Nichia 219B on filed down Noctigon with a Carclo triple-TIR optic.

In order to remove the bezel without marring the finish and without rubber jawed pliers I did the following:

1. I took grey indoor stairway grip tape from Office Depot and wrapped a strip on the head above the magnetic ring. This strip was cut to the right diameter and wrapped all the way around.
2. I then wrapped a second piece of the same grip tape around the bezel.
3. I then gripped each of the pieces of grip tape with a standard metal jawed pliers and turned.

It is important to use INDOOR stairway grip tape, which is made of rubber. Outdoor stairway grip tape is made with bits of crushed glass and is like sandpaper. It's not as thick or as protective.

Once it was unscrewed I then did the mod, before reversing the process. The rubber stairway grip tape grips VERY well, but at the same time removes easily without damaging the finish.

NOTE: I don't have a TC-R2 so can't say if it's the same internal design as the TC-R1. However, just in case, when removing the bezel, only turn the portion of the head ABOVE the grip ring. Do NOT NOT NOT grip below the grip ring. Gripping below the grip ring can result in the 2 halves of the head unscrewing instead of the bezel. If this happens before you remove the driver you WILL destroy the driver wires. And on the TCR-01, the driver wires are not replaceable.... so broken driver wires means a dead driver.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks for the detailed description. I can easily remove the bezel ring with my fingers but I cannot tell if or where the head itself comes apart on the TC-R2. Your mod sounds spectacular. You must be able to flood an entire room with high CRI light. IMR only?