HELP: Surefire E2DL detoothing.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, need some help..
I have been carrying my E2DL (not the ultra) for more than a year now and I'm tired of the strike bazel it comes with.. i mean it's fine because you can see if you left the light on and so on... BUT my pockets are pretty badly messed up now and considering that i dropped the light few times some of the teeth are already scrached up..
So I was thinking that i could lay a piece of sandpaper on a very smooth and flat surface like a glass table or similar and rub the light on it untill i remove part of the serrations maybe also protecting the TIR lens...

What you think guys? Is that too crazy of an idea? Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks in advice.. any comment will be apreciated!

Ps: hope this is the right section .. if not fell free to move the 3d

Last edited by a moderator:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the sandpaper solution is a crazy idea. :D You need a lathe to do this properly. :)
Some time ago someone offered this service in the B/S/T subforum.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search for MIK. He offers a de-toothing service for like $15.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Got access to a belt sander? You can get the job done in less than 5 minutes. Just put some tape over the glass. Take your time and roll it evenly as it's making contact with the belt. If nothing else you can put a wide file in a vice and do the job as well. Takes longer but the teeth get cut down.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, the reason they are saying it's crazy it is would take a VERY long time to do by hand, not that it wouldn't work.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the usefull tips guys..
I knew MIK was offering this service.. But I'm in EU ad i guess it would take a lot of time to get my light back..

I have acces to a grinder ad other power tools but not a lathe unfortunatley.. I was thinking of using sandpaper and do it manually to avoid any destructive mistake... Of course it would take longer..

I don't know if i'll be brave enough to try but doesn't seem too difficult... Now..

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just wrap the bezel in leather, hold it firmly in a vise and use a nice medium-coarse file. Finish up with a fine-tooth file for smoothness and you're done. Maybe a bit of black sharpie if you care about the looks