Looking For A 20mm 1-Mode Driver For XML-T6 One 18650 Battery Powered Flashlight

ledpower14

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to this website. Not sure if I'm posting in the right section, but I've skimmed a lot of posts before deciding to sign up after seeing I'm not alone in my obsession with flashlights. I've searched everywhere, but keep running into 17mm boards. Another problem I have is that I don't have nor know how to use a volt meter so I can't tell how many mA a 18650 XML-T6 board should be.

What's the typical mA of a typical Ebay XML-T6 zoomable flashlight? And does anyone know of any places that sell 20mm 1-mode driver boards to replace the 5-mode ones in my flashlight?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
HKJ's guide to using a DMM is a good start.

3A drive current might get you in the region of 800ish out the front lumen.

Not sure about the 20mm boards as all my modded lights use 17mm. You can get blank circuit board dividers which might enable you to use 17mm sized drivers in your light.

Google: "20mm Partition Boards for AMC7135 LED Flashlight Drivers (5-Pack)"

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no such thing as a typical anything light. There are literally 100's or 1000's of brands, makers, models and variants.

Using a DMM (digital multi meter) is easy for checking battery volts and tail cap amp draws. DMM's can be had really cheap too, which are sufficient for starting out.

Question?

Why do you want a one mode driver and what do you want to achieve?

The easiest one mode is simply direct drive the led. Or there may be better ways of modding it.

ledpower14

Newly Enlightened
This is the light I'm talking about. Basically, by default it comes with a 5 mode, high, medium, low, strobe, and sos.. I would like to make both of them one mode. One uses one 18650 and the other uses two 18650. Does anyone know how many amps and mA a typical two battery xml-t6 flashlight would normally use?

1.) http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjgyWDEwMjQ=/z/oEgAAOSw1XdUWQ6r/$_57.JPG 20mm board

2.) http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/umQAAOxykMpTIxoW/$_57.JPG 22mm board

Epsilon

Enlightened
Output will be around 2800mA to the LED. With 1 18650 lights, this will almost certainly be a linear driver which means the same mA as the input.

With the 2*18650 light, it will likely be a buck driver and therefor the current IN will be around half that (1500mA), because the voltage is around double. The total power IN will be the same as the total power OUT (+ driver losses).

ledpower14

Newly Enlightened
I remember a while back seeing a post about a guy who makes these different mode drivers. He had a website set up with a bunch of different drivers for XML-T6 led flashlights. Does anyone know the guy's website or any similar websites with prefabricated drivers?

Hoop

Enlightened
I'd get a NANJG driver and simply edit the modes. A store that will do this for you is mountain electronics. Look at the Qlite driver with 8x 7135's for 3A output. The output can be increased by adding 7135 voltage regulators or decreased by removing them. Each chip added or removed will change the output by 380mA. That store will also do this for you. I've also written a guide on another forum about how to flash NANJG drivers yourself without much fuss.

You can feed some decent current to an XM-L even in a small light, but the led needs to have good thermal transfer to the light body. The components of the light need to be in good contact with each other; this may require some modding effort. These days us modders like to use LED's mounted on copper boards with a direct thermal path from the led to the copper as well.

As for the 20mm requirement, it's easy enough to solder in a contact plate. There are pre-fabbed contact boards, or if you have space constraints, brass shim stock cut to size and then soldered to the ground of the driver should work.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are 20mm boards with AMC7135 bhips.

Maybe intl-outdoor?

Then dissablign the modes is easy, there is already much info in the forum

ledpower14

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Hoop. Very informative reply. You gave me a great place to start to look at all my options before deciding which route I want to go.

@kosPap, can you link me to some forum search terms or some informative threads showing how to disable the modes easily?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast