r U a HaX0R?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif i love hacking but i dont hack people i hack stuff my dvd burner i hacked from a dvd +r to a dvd +r-r and soon i hope to hack it from a 4x burner to 8X burner my mp3 player is hacked i love doing this stuff

Tomas

Banned
Re: are u a hacker?

I've done minor hacks since late '82 and have enjoyed the challenge and the results. Some of the hacks have been just purely for fun, others have been to accomplish a specific end not otherwise attainable, and some have been to make my computer use easier/better.

I haven't done many myself recently, but I've made use of a fair number of odd little hacks by others. In fact I popped a minor hack on my machine's startup activity today that greatly reduced startup times by linking two files to reduce wait times. Startup time is now about 20% what it used to be.

I've considered a hack to add functionality to my DVD writing, but so far haven't really had a need for the features. I'm happy with 'factory stock' right now. (I'm also a very cautious hacker.)

T_sig6.gif
fan.gif

P.S. Considering that my OS is based on an OS that started as nothing more than an unauthorized hack to allow game playing on a business computer, hacks are expected and quite normal ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i don't hack much of my machine personally, but i do use utilities such as "tweakui" and at one time i had "freshui" but somehow lost it and can't find a place to download it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

i've done some registry editing to do things like rename the top of the ie windows and change the name of the recycle bin, but nothing of any value /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

I've hacked... for both good and evil. But I'm happy to report that my evil days are in the past and now I only hack for the good... CPF is evidence of some very good hacking... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The last time I hacked anything I was still using a Commodore 128 in Commodore 64 mode. I hacked what other hackers had already hacked, mainly to add my name into the hacked portions of the game code. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Tomas

Banned
I just realized the subject line should be: r U a HaX0R? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On second thought, that's just $CRiP+ KidDiE l33t sp34k, eh?

T_sig6.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Rothrandir, you can download "Fresh UI" at www.freshdevices.com

I hack by downloading and running system utilities programs to see if I can improve my PC's performance. Sadly, my PC ends up more "whacked" than hacked sometimes ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey, thanks sfr.

i was there a whiel ago, and tried to download it but it wouldn't work!
very strange... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
working now though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
OK how about a help question here?
I want to dedicate part of 30-35 Kbps to my "radio" is there an easy (ie "For Dummies") way? Using IE and XP :duck: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I listen to streaming audio, on my laptop, when at work, like now. Since I am on-line I also spend some time here and other places. But quite frequently my 'radio' drops out. I assume this is due to pages 'stealing' my band'width'? Please no cable/DSL/broadband suggestions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
Raggie33: Is your dvd by any chance a NEC1100A (or something based on NEC1100) ?

Wits' End: There's no simple _and_ free way to do traffic shaping on windoze (except for installing linux/*bsd/etc.). But for radio a simple fix is to increase the buffer in your player.
If you are on dial-up and browse a lot you should also consider using Mozilla; just right click on banners you don't like, click on "block images from this servers" and speed up your browsing by 200-1000% !

jtice

Flashaholic
Wits End,

I do the exact same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
We have a very fast connection here, and theres NO WAY a few simple webpages can take enough bandwidth away to drop the streaming radio. BUT, it drops out alot anyway, I beleave its the actualy radio streaming server. I have had times where it just refuses to play more than 15 seconds of music before going crazy.

If there is a way to fix this, I woulod sure like to know also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hacker... hmm...

I could consider myself a very very unexperienced hacker - or just a guy that works with computers a lot.

I use Linux at school - does that count? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

//Dan

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nah i only b uy lite on optical drives they are good at recording stuff they dopnt want ya to back up lol like stuff that has copy protection plus it was less then 100 bucks

Blikbok

Enlightened
I think Thomas will understand when I will admit to being an MIT-style "Hacker". My job is to make all sorts of things play nice in neat ways which are ugly behind the walls and under the floor, yet look nice on the surface.

Tomas

Banned
I understand, Blikbok. It's really nice to come up with a fantasticly 'elegant' solution to a need, but often times what you end up with instead is something with really gnarly guts instead. Even when that happens, a nice interface for the users is essential.

(In the simple stuff I used to write probably two thirds of the code was error handling so no matter what the user did to my stuff it would handle it gracefully. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

BTW: I was a BTL hacker rather than an MIT type ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

Mutie

Enlightened
I guess I would be considered a hacker. Especially since I'm self taught on programming from modifying others code until I could write my own. Then proceeding to write my own system level utilitys. I always strive to create a clean, simple, and uncomplicated user interface. (Text based of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Mutech