HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

Default Re: Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    I guess I am a neutral extremist. :P
    I know 4500K is still neutral for many but for me it starts getting to cool for me.
    while getting off topic, I guess one man's neutral is another man's cool. Although I'm not sure if I have much if anything below 4500. 4500 is pretty good for me, 5000 in a MTG2. I once had a very bad experience with a 6500k light (no depth perception in a facility with absolutely no other light source - made me swear off cool).

I guess this is why on another thread a manufacturer had a bad experience with a run of neutral & hi cri LEDs in their lights. Took too long to sell and too many complaints. Oveready though is aiming at a higher level of users (says a huge Oveready fan). No complaints from me and only a series of very positive purchases.

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

I don't want to detract from this thread and I don't mean to create any neutral debate. Just my personal preference - but as nfetterly points out other vendors have had a hard time moving there special runs of more neutral and HiCRI tints.

No worries - Dan and the team make amazing products and I am sure these will be very popular.

I hear you Sean. I wasn't offering a personal an opinion there, just passing on the data from the website. 4500K looks neutral to me but there are that feel differently. I've always wondered if there's an empirical standard to base the term "neutral" on? Kind of like CRI. I feel like the terms "white", "cool", "neutral", and "warm" get bandied about quite loosely without any scientific criteria.

To stay on topic, Oveready has always been spot on with their descriptions in my own experience. (PM inbound on the what temperature 219B's you used in the Tri-EDC engines.)

Anything above 4000K is not neutral. Just sayin'...... That's were I hope this XPL is.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Flashaholic* ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond's Avatar

No worries - everyone has their own idea of warm, neutral, cool, etc. We're all just having fun here.

Freakin awesome!!! Can't wait for the mailman!!!

I took care of the easy part tonight......ordered a Triad and 65 and 100mm Moddoolar bodies.

The hard part will be deciding on which head. I've got a neutral (4000K XP-G2) L-M-H, so will probably go with a H-M-L this time.

I don't have a Nichia Triple yet, but will likely go with the neutral XP-L to get the awesome output.

It would be pretty cool to be able to change the output level by means other than the tail cap switch. This isn't very feasible with standard P60 engines, but dedicated heads are a different animal.
    Last edited by Grizzman; 12-30-2014 at 11:30 PM.

The Oveready 219 neutral triples are awesome, and like most the Nichia is my favourite LED for tint and CRI.
    I recently got the 4000K XPG2 triple and I like this one possibly even more than my 219 for it's blend of higher output, decent CRI and nice gentle warm tint.
    They both look pretty neutral until side by side then the 4000K looks slightly warm and the Nichia slightly cool (but closer to neutral).
    Having tried the Malkoff drop in with 4000K XPG2 and not being overly happy with it for various reasons, although it is a good drop in, I was very pleasantly surprised by the Oveready triples tint.
    Maybe it has something to do with the output difference or something but the 4000K of the Oveready is much nicer to my eyes than the Malkoff.
    Looking forward to reports from those who get the XPL in either cool or neutral.
    Last edited by F89; 12-26-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Flashaholic*

Will the bezels and lenses from the previous regular Moddoolar heads interchange with the new Wasp heads?
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    Will the bezels and lenses from the previous regular Moddoolar heads interchange with the new Wasp heads?
    From Insider 55 "And if it looks familiar, that's because our head is the newest member of the Moddoolar flashlight system. So it works with every Moddoolar bezel and body and tailcap you already have.".

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    From Insider 55 "And if it looks familiar, that's because our head is the newest member of the Moddoolar flashlight system. So it works with every Moddoolar bezel and body and tailcap you already have.".
    Awesome!
    Thanks!
    Brawndo. It's got what plants crave!

Omg omg omg! I was crushed when I saw the XPL version was sold out... It was first thing in the morning when I read the email. It wasn't sold out it hasent gotten here yet!!! I haven't been excited like this in a while.

So I think I figured out all the options for the lite.

This might be a dumb question but after you buy the trite how do you install them? Are they just pressed in or do you have to glue them in somehow?

Im posting here so I can keep track of when the eagle lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerealand View Post
    What is the temperature on the Neutral XP-L? 4000k?
    I don't have a number yet but will be watching it closely and working to provide a number before release.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesantor View Post
    This part right here is clutch. Im really contemplating switching ALL my weapons mounted lights to this system if they are going to release boards. I have all P60 on my weapons now due to the fact that the drop ins can be upgraded. The Modoolar system defiantly has better heat sinking capabilities.

Looks like it is time to start building all new tourchlabs lights for the Arsenal...
    It should be possible to build a board store, making it easy to choose from different versions

Quote Originally Posted by KeeblerElf View Post
    Dumb question: do the trit options simply have a trit slot, or is installation available as well?

Very excited about these new offerings!
    Sorry for the confusion. Stocking/selling tritium in the US requires expensive licensing from the DOE. In practice, companies make lights 'trit ready', then customers import them from Europe and install them themselves. I've added size information as well as a link to the main CPFM thread.

I guess I am a neutral extremist. :P
    I know 4500K is still neutral for many but for me it starts getting to cool for me.
    In my testing, true neutral is about 4300-4400. So someone sensitive to blue would still see it from a 4500k source. But there are complications:

• Kelvin was derived from incan technology, which has very regular, 2 dimensional (linear) color variations
    • LEDs have colors with variations in 3 dimensions, so you could have 10 LEDs with the same K, and different colors for each
    • My personal rule is not to call anything neutral that is not 4000-5000k. But each shop has their own rules
    • Undedriven LEDs have exaggerated color, overdriven LEDs look 'more white'
    • Eyes adjust to color, so cool will look more cool if you've been sitting in front of a fire

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    The bezels we are shipping today are the very same bezels we were shipping last year. But there is one important note:

We've changed the bezel's rear Oring (accessible without removing the lens) for better alignment with the new job of holding the optic in place. Complete heads have them already installed. Heads purchased without bezels will ship with a new seperate set of bezel o rings. Swap out your old orings and your old bezel ring is ready for use with your new head.

UPDATE
    Spent the day building flashlights. Here's the bench about half way through, with heads complete and other parts laid out.
    Most orders shipped today. Others will ship tomorrow. Everyone shipped should have tracking by the end of the weekend.

Control the Dark

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

I take a short break from browsing the forums and checking my email and this is released. I will be getting one of these. I am waiting for the HML F3 in natural. These look super cool.

I'm torn on the Nichia vs. XPL version of the Wasp. Practically speaking, how's the throw on the Nichia compared to XPL? I saw in the description that the XPL beam was tighter with presumably better throw but I'm just wondering how significant the difference is. I'm quite attracted to the idea of high CRI for EDC purposes and close range use, but I like a good bit of throw as well for nighttime use (I'd also be using it to check for skunks at night while walking my dog).

I'm pretty new to the custom scene so forgive my ignorance
    Last edited by Appletz; 12-26-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletz View Post
    I'm torn on the Nichia vs. XPL version of the Wasp. Practically speaking, how's the throw on the Nichia compared to XPL? I saw in the description that the XPL beam was tighter with presumably better throw but I'm just wondering how significant the difference is. I'm quite attracted to the idea of high CRI for EDC purposes and close range use, but I like a good bit of throw as well for nighttime use (I'd also be using it to check for skunks at night while walking my dog).

I see that you are new. It is plain to see by someone that isn't new, you need one of each

Welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Appletz View Post

Somewhere back in this thread ElectronGuru compared the throw of the new XPL with the last XPG2 module as similar.
    With that in mind I have both the Nichia 219 and XPG2 4000K P60 modules and in comparison the XPG2 is a bit tighter at close range and definitely brighter with noticeably more throw.
    Keep in mind that these triples are very floody and not particularly throwers but they provide a wall of light out to a reasonable distance.
    The CRI on my XPG2 looks pretty good so hopefully the XPL neutral will also be good. Then there's the Nichia which provides such a nice tint and CRI that it's hard to beat so it basically comes down to what matters most, power or tint and CRI.
    I'm guessing either choice will throw far enough for your uses and you'll probably find the floody nature of these lights more useful for situational awareness etc better than a tighter more intense spot?
    Another couple of points worth mentioning is that the power of the V4 triple Nichia is pretty close to the new wasp (about 200 lumens in favour of the wasp) but the new XPL is about 1000 lumens more than the V4 triple XPG2 so while the throw is said to be comparable these new XPL's should well and truly be a wall of light.
    Making a short story long.... you can't go wrong with an Oveready triple.
    Last edited by F89; 12-26-2014 at 11:43 PM.

From my post dated 1-11-14 on the MBI HF thread:

"I'm still hoping Guy will do some work on the single 18650 form factor. Simple, elegant, lightweight, aluminum(?), innovative heat sinking, with a tint that is only white (no warm cast, yellow, green, blue or magenta) even at low levels."

The Wasp is the kind of innovative heat sinking I was hoping for. It is indeed elegant and lightweight. Congratulations to the Oveready Team. I think this project will keep the Russian team member Extra busy.

If the neutral F3 XPL's are <5000K is a cooler version a possibility?

I understand not wanting to dedicate a head to a relatively unpopular format. When might a separate F1 Neutral XP-L board be available?

Thanks for the update and all the hard work.
    Tracking info received!!!! Cannot wait!!

any word on when the xpl version will be released? I heard this week, but wanted to get more clarification...thanks everyone..
    i welcome the dark

We are very happy to see all of the excitement over the new heads.
    My holidays have been very busy and I will get some more in stock for you guys soon.

I'm hoping to have some more of the Nichia Hi-CRI 219B in stock late this week. The XPL should be in the store next week for you all.

Thanks for your support.
    Have a safe and happy new years celebration!

Here's to a bright 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by Moddoo View Post
    We are very happy to see all of the excitement over the new heads.
    My holidays have been very busy and I will get some more in stock for you guys soon.

I'm hoping to have some more of the Nichia Hi-CRI 219B in stock late this week. The XPL should be in the store next week for you all.

Thanks for your support.
    Have a safe and happy new years celebration!

Here's to a bright 2015!
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the response! Already grabbed the 219b, it should arrive today...but definitely want to get my hands on the xpl as well...keep up the great work...
    i welcome the dark

Flashaholic

Thanks for the update! Now I can stop obsessively checking for updates until next week! Very much looking forward to getting one of these!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1010 View Post
    Tease!!

I am so freakin excited!!! More to come.....AWESOME!!!!!!

Camera not cooperating, (Operator error, LOL) but its still awesome..........

Thank you OVEREADY Crew!!!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by gktii View Post
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the response! Already grabbed the 219b, it should arrive today...but definitely want to get my hands the xpl as well...keep up the great work...
    So gktii, if you 219b wasp did show up today, how about a little YouTube unpacking and so all of us guys can get a little taste. BTW I really do enjoy your YouTube videos. Im actually one of your subscribers. Thanks for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by drillbitz11 View Post
    So gktii, if you 219b wasp did show up today, how about a little YouTube unpacking and so all of us guys can get a little taste. BTW I really do enjoy your YouTube videos. Im actually one of your subscribers. Thanks for taking the time.
    i think i may be able to oblige. (thanks for the support on the channel)
    i welcome the dark

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast