T5 Flourescent Fixture Replacements....? Need some help...

TRSmith99

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

I am looking for your expertise and guidance. Our mid-century home has ~18 Light fixtures that "uplight" the ceiling - each one has a single 21" T5 flourscent bulb. These 18 fixtures are operated on 2 walls by 2 separate light switches.

I have 2 problems...
1. Light Replacements
The lights/fixtures - and associated buibs - are power hogs. I'd like to find a suitable 21" T5 replacement build (LED preferred). I have not had any success finding this length/size/base. If replacement bulbs are available, then this may be a great solution.

2. Fixture Replacement
Some of the fixtures are.... well.... not the most reliable. Given their age, I'm tempted to replace all 18 units with a more "energy efficient" unit and light. Ideally, this would probably be "longer/larger" fixtures and bulbs (rather than 18, I might get to 8-10 units).

The current units are all facing up (flush mounted on the top of an internal eve) and the lights project upward against a white ceiling to provide light in the Kitchen and living room area. Each fixture is ~24in in length and they are mounted end-to-end and wired in parallel running on 120VAC.

Any suggested 21" T5 LED bulb replacements (and providers) would be great!

Suggested "strip fixtures" would be a reasonable alternative.

Thanks for your help!

TR-

brickbat

Enlightened
I think one of your premises is flawed. T5 lamps (and just to be clear, with a 21" lamp we're talking about old-school 13W T5 lamps) are not exactly 'power hogs'. At least in comparison to, say incandescent. Your lamps are rated at 13W and probably around 700 lumens. So - somewhere around 50 lumesn/Watt. Not stellar, but not that bad.

The newer (European standarr) T5 lamps will deliver about twice the efficacy - But, the closest one is 22" long, so you'd need new fixtures.

If you can tolerate longer lamps, the sweet spot is usually your run-of-the mill T8 32W 48" lamp on an electronic ballast. Strip light fixtures are common. Why not use that?

LED replacements? meh. Today, their cost is barely justifiable in most installations.

SemiMan

Banned
Issue with LEDs could be good color mixing along the length. Buy Philips strips from Mouser and you are fine but they are not China eBay cheap.

Posted by really crappy Tapatalk app that is questionable wrt respect of personal data.