run times for new (14) Black Diamond Ion?

mtwarden

Newly Enlightened
their site lists 200 hours max, I'm pretty sure this is at the very dimmest setting- any info on run times other than full dim?

the new Ion (14) was boosted from 12 lumens to 80 lumens and now uses 2 AAA lithium batteries (vs a 6 volt in the old Ion), also boosted IPX rating from 4 to 8

thanks in advance

jinya1004

Newly Enlightened
200 hours til you get 1lux. I'm willing to bet that it's only 1 or two hours at full lumens.

mtwarden

Newly Enlightened
did a little more digging :) 200 hours @ 4 lumens, 8 hour @ 80-not bad for a sub 2 oz lamp

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ that's the Icon, was looking for info on the Ion- they did a test of the old Ion and weren't impressed- this is entirely new lamp, not much similar except the name

OK, my mistake.

Charles L.

Enlightened
Sorry -- was about to discuss the wrong headlamp. The Ion is also mentioned in outdoorgearlab's test, but it appears that was the previous model.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually contacted BD in regards to this lamp as it really caught my attention. I enquired how long the lamp could sit unused in the off position before depleting the batteries.

I was more or less told that is proprietary info and could not be disclosed.

110% Deal breaker. Im not going to keep a backup lamp that I have no idea what kind of drain on the batteries its had while off.

I don't believe in the whole, "If you don't use xxx light, its recommended to store the batteries separately." Thats just bad design plain and simple.

Yeah.... when I really need a light the first thing I like to do is fumble around in the dark to find the batteries and hope I install them properly....

mtwarden

Newly Enlightened
^ interesting, I would have assumed it would no take any juice in the off position- good to know-thanks

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, The Tikka is a click switch. I believe most Petzls are as well. It seems as all the other major brands use electronic. Some obviously draining a lot faster than others I'd presume.

Latest posts