Osram H4 bulbs

fastgun

Enlightened
I am using the Osram 70/65 Bilux H4 bulb in Grote lamp holders and Cibie lamps. They provided a nice improvement in my night driving. However, instead of causing me to be content they have caused a desire to explore the next step in better lighting using a halogen bulb.

I am looking at the Osram 80/85. My searching found comments that the lifespan of the bulb is not very good but not much more about this bulb. For the purpose of this thread, let's not consider the cost or the life of the bulb (Tc). Let's consider only performance as a general purpose low and high beam H4 bulb. The flux, beam focus etc, not just the lumens.

Is the Osram 80/85 better than the 70/65 or the X-treme, GE etc bulbs? Is there a Flosser or Narva bulb that will provide better lighting?

Qship1996

Enlightened
Seems we are on similar paths- I had the Osram 70/65 in my Infiniti Q45 headlamps for years,and wanted a little more light- so I installed a heavy duty relay/harness and the Osram 85/80 bulbs almost 4 years ago- I dont do much night driving{maybe 1-2 hours per week} those original installed bulbs are still burning,and I have not had the itch to find any "better" solution-100% satisfied with the 85/80 watt bulbs performance,especially on low beam.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using the Osram 70/65 Bilux H4 bulb in Grote lamp holders and Cibie lamps. They provided a nice improvement in my night driving. However, instead of causing me to be content they have caused a desire to explore the next step in better lighting using a halogen bulb.
When I hear how "X light works better than Y light, but is there a Z light I can get that's even BETTER?", often it comes out that "I just want to drive even FASTER at night!" This is often a recipe for disaster.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Hmmmm.......my last speeding ticket? Oh yeah,that was back in 1991, aprox. 460,000 miles ago.

fastgun

Enlightened
When I hear how "X light works better than Y light, but is there a Z light I can get that's even BETTER?", often it comes out that "I just want to drive even FASTER at night!" This is often a recipe for disaster.

Sir, I know not what websites you may frequent, but this is Candlepower Forums. We are seekers of knowledge and are interested in facts and the science of light. Give me facts, flux and beam focus.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sir, I know not what websites you may frequent, but this is Candlepower Forums.

I frequent this site, and I see threads like this, which will have responses in it like:

But really, the main reason why you are running up against a vague and evasive wall is that the correct answer to your question is slow down. It is flatly not safe to drive on American public roads, especially mountain roads, at speeds that would call for high beams better than you have.

The person he was responding to didn't even yet have auxiliary high beams-- you do.

fastgun

Enlightened
I did post my reply with a small amount of tongue in cheek. I do acknowledge that I may ask silly questions at times. This is usually due to my lack of knowledge, sometimes mere foolishness.

My question is about better and safer lights and what products will contribute toward that end, not about driving unsafely.
Have you found any halogen bulb to perform a better job than the Osram 70/65?

fastgun

Enlightened
Qship1996, thank you for the report.
I will try out the bulb. The actual users of this bulb all seem to be in agreement that it is a great H4.

Thanks.