Cree TW, 95CRI?

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm wondering what's going on here. Misprint? Specs changed at some point in time?

cree_95cri.jpg

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I just bought several of the 60w & 40w equivalents today. Mine are new and listed as 93CRI. They don't have a sticker on them, the original package shows 93CRI. I would venture to guess that they changed the specs or the bulbs didn't meet 95CRI and they had to add the stickers to change the label.

I picked them up at Home Depot in the clearance section. Cost for each was $7.50 (60w equiv) and $6.50 (40w equiv). I spoke to a manager there and got him to agree to give me an additional 50% off if I took all of them. He agreed....(Yippee!!), so I got the 60w equal for $3.75 each and the 40w equal for $3.25 each. I'm pretty stoked about the deal. I also picked up a few more items they had on clearance since I was getting an additional 50% off the clearance price (my wife is probably going to strike me with a skillet when she sees all the junk I picked up).

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
That's a crazy deal!! Man, I wonder if I overlooked these at my HD store last week. I noticed all the TW bulbs were gone!

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
The specs for the Cree TW are 93 CRI, from every source I have seen.

Normal white LEDs have an emission hump mostly centered on the greenish-yellow part of the spectrum. By using neodymium glass to filter some of the yellow wavelengths out of the spectrum, it helps the color contrast between red and green, raising the color rendering index in this case.

It is difficult to find an LED retrofit bulb with 95 CRI, but there are a few.

Actually I think I may have an explanation. The newer version of the Cree TW does not have purplish neodymium glass, so is probably just using a higher CRI emitter. 90 and 95CRI emitters are fairly common, but I do not think I have ever come across a 93CRI emitter. So it may well be possible that the new Cree TW could be 95 CRI.

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I just bought several of the 60w & 40w equivalents today. Mine are new and listed as 93CRI. They don't have a sticker on them, the original package shows 93CRI. I would venture to guess that they changed the specs or the bulbs didn't meet 95CRI and they had to add the stickers to change the label.

I picked them up at Home Depot in the clearance section. Cost for each was $7.50 (60w equiv) and $6.50 (40w equiv). I spoke to a manager there and got him to agree to give me an additional 50% off if I took all of them. He agreed....(Yippee!!), so I got the 60w equal for $3.75 each and the 40w equal for $3.25 each. I'm pretty stoked about the deal. I also picked up a few more items they had on clearance since I was getting an additional 50% off the clearance price (my wife is probably going to strike me with a skillet when she sees all the junk I picked up).

Wow, I need to make it a point to get to Home Depot ASAP.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Unfortunately they did not have these at my local Home Depot. My understanding is that only some stores have them, but they are available through the website.

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow, I need to make it a point to get to Home Depot ASAP.

Darn I missed them!! They had about six of the 40W TWs. I picked up 2, since I really only need 60W. Strange thing is, these didn't have the blue coating, but they are TW. Very strange. The only way to tell is they use more power (small font on top of bulb). I marked them with a sharpie so I wouldn't mix them up.

They will no longer be at Home Depot. So, what's Cree coming out with to replace them? Only 80CRI junk from now on?

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Darn I missed them!! They had about six of the 40W TWs. I picked up 2, since I really only need 60W. Strange thing is, these didn't have the blue coating, but they are TW. Very strange. The only way to tell is they use more power (small font on top of bulb). I marked them with a sharpie so I wouldn't mix them up.

They will no longer be at Home Depot. So, what's Cree coming out with to replace them? Only 80CRI junk from now on?

I just checked the Home Depot website, and they are selling them online only, in packages of six. Given the rate at which LED technology is advancing, I hate to buy more bulbs than I actually need right now to replace dead bulbs, but this particular bulb appears to be worth doing so.

The price $89.82 for a pack of 6, or about $15/bulb. Shipping to your home or the nearest store is free. The Cree 60W equivalent bulbs in the store are a little less than $10/bulb, so I suspect they were not selling many of the TW series in the store. At that price, I doubt they'd sell many to anyone who doesn't really understand what they are buying and why.

The TW Series is also still listed on Cree's website.

On another note, I could not find color rendering index anywhere on any of the packages I saw (Cree or other). I really wish this would be included.

Last edited:

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
If you really want these bulbs, get the SKU number from the single package and call around to your local stores to check inventory. Be sure to ask if they are on clearance if you find them. That will save you some driving. I just got lucky.