Magnum star II 2D lumens

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As Quickbeam's runtime chart of the 3-D cell krypton shows, how bright an incan Mag is depends on when you ask:

yTyhsLt.jpg

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Nice tint though. Too bad these bulbs didn't come out 15 years ago. They focus to a much nicer spot then the old ones.

StarHalo: the PowerStik incandescent regulator makes that plot into a straight line (in addition to fairly aggressive soft-start, meaning more practical overdriving of 2-cell bulbs). I have 3 incands and the regulation makes them much more enjoyable in a nostalgic sense. Like a nice remastering, it makes rose-colored glasses just a bit more pink.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice tint though. Too bad these bulbs didn't come out 15 years ago. They focus to a much nicer spot then the old ones.

I used to use the old magnumstar bulbs back in the day in my maglites. I never liked the focus though, it was always kinda ugly. How much better do you think it is now? I haven't drug any out of storage in years, but I remember the old ones had these weird oblong lense shaped bulbs.

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
I used to use the old magnumstar bulbs back in the day in my maglites. I never liked the focus though, it was always kinda ugly. How much better do you think it is now? I haven't drug any out of storage in years, but I remember the old ones had these weird oblong lense shaped bulbs.
It seems to be the same exact brightness as the stock bulbs! :crackup:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to be the same exact brightness as the stock bulbs! :crackup:

Seems you're trolling. You could definitely tell the difference between the two back when the original Magnumstar came out and I was asking if the new Magnumstar bulbs are brighter than the old ones and had better focus. You just seemed to have communicated the opinion that the new Magnumstars have the same brightness as the stock krypton bulbs regardless of age, which seems mindless. I wasn't trying to crack a joke or make you laugh in hysterics but you did, and you seemed to want to put that emoticon which is really weird. Super weird actually.

Last edited:

StudFreeman

Enlightened
ampdude,

Focus is massively improved over the old xenon bulbs for two reasons. For one, the filaments seem a little tighter. Importantly the fact that they are bi-pin bulbs lets you fine tune their position to perfect focus. I have 3, 4, and 5 cell bulbs and all have perfectly concentric focus with minimal fiddling. At max focus their beams are rounder than the XP-E LED Mags. No weird artifacts, which goes a long way to improving the quality of an incandescent's beam.

Last edited:

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
Seems you're trolling. You could definitely tell the difference between the two back when the original Magnumstar came out and I was asking if the new Magnumstar bulbs are brighter than the old ones and had better focus. You just seemed to have communicated the opinion that the new Magnumstars have the same brightness as the stock krypton bulbs regardless of age, which seems mindless. I wasn't trying to crack a joke or make you laugh in hysterics but you did, and you seemed to want to put that emoticon which is really weird. Super weird actually.
No, it actually looked the same as the stock bulbs! :thumbsdow