Angryfox        
Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst 12345678910111454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Zebralight Thread .

Enlightened

Default Re: The Official Zebralight Thread .

I did recieve my 52w and 62w two weeks ago. Zebralight delivered two units with beautiful tints (or am I a lucky man?). My hunt is over. Zebralight is da shit! I am a real bitch when it comes to tint and the only complain is the purple spill, but otherwise pure perfection. My L10 219b tint is more even from spill to hot spot, but my new Zebra's has a little bit more warmth in their tints due to the extra gold and rosy touch, still very neutral IMO and all the colors really comes to life. This was exactly what I wanted - I couldn´t be happier! .

By the way. The reflectors are not the same! The 52 has a more textured reflector making the hot spot and corona blends better. The 62 is more light textured, the reflector is more bling bling, which defines the hot spot more and make it throw a little bit better I guess. I can´t find my self reading about this discovery earlier... It is not easy to see on my picture though, but something else in real life.

Last edited by Martin L; 02-17-2015 at 04:50 AM.

Enlightened

I received an H600w MKII recently to replace my old one, also an H600w MKII, that I preordered and got right when it came out and there was a significant difference in tint. One was slightly yellow and the new one is perfect creamy white! I mean perfect! For me anyway. I was blown away! I also noticed that the rubber is a little bit softer than the old one and the anodizing is lighter. My old one had a slight bug in the UI where it would just stop functioning until I waited a second and so far after repeatedly trying to replicate the issue I am unable to with the new Zebralight! I think Zebralight is really stepping up there QC game!

Zebralight: I've never RMA'ed one.

I think Zebralight changed the tints on their neutrals a year or two ago. My SC52w (early model) looks like it has 4C tint, but my newer SC62w looks like it has the much better 4D tint.

I don't own one, but pictures of the SC52w L2 also looks like it has the 4D tint.

The 4C tint is very yellow. The 4D tint is slightly rosy, much more like a Nichia 219A. Colors tend to look much better with 4D tint even though both are around the same color temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    I think Zebralight changed the tints on their neutrals a year or two ago. My SC52w (early model) looks like it has 4C tint, but my newer SC62w looks like it has the much better 4D tint.

I don't own one, but pictures of the SC52w L2 also looks like it has the 4D tint.

The 4C tint is very yellow. The 4D tint is slightly rosy, much more like a Nichia 219A. Colors tend to look much better with 4D tint even though both are around the same color temperature.
    Personally I think they're getting random grab bags. Kind of like the plain brown bag at the grocery store for $5 filled with surprises. Mysterious and exciting until you open it
    GOOD TINT!

Unenlightened

Almost decided...but not quite
    I was originally thinking about a Thrunite TN12 but I was never "excited" aout it for some reason, then I found ZL
    I have large hands so I can see a benefit to the SC600W MkII L2, but I can also see an advantage to having a smaller light that pretty much does the same thing...the SC62W.
    Any last minute advice for me before I just toss a coin?
    Last edited by davehutch; 02-18-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davehutch View Post
    Any last minute advice for me before I just toss a coin?
    I would take the pocket clip into consideration. On the SC62 it is securely attached to the light with two screws. The clip-on style clip on the SC600 on the other hand, while not flimsy or of poor quality, could come off so if a dependable clip is important to you, the SC62 seems like the logical choice.

If you plan to use the light on the high output modes for extended periods of times, I would suggest the SC600 which with its larger mass should have better heat dissipation properties.

I guess I'm not making things easier for you
    Last edited by Swede74; 02-18-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Check out a few post up^^^^ I added a Prometheus Ti clip to my SC600. That was the only complaint I had with the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

I think my next ZL is going to be the new SC32w , was going to get the Olight S-10 L2 , but for basically 20 bucks more the ZL is a no brainer to me . Love ZL's UI & build quality / anodizing .
    Zebralight SC600 mkII L2 , Streamlight ProTac HL , ET D25AAA Nichia.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Swede74 View Post
    I would take the pocket clip into consideration. On the SC62 it is securely attached to the light with two screws. The clip-on style clip on the SC600 on the other hand, while not flimsy or of poor quality, could come off so if a dependable clip is important to you, the SC62 seems like the logical choice.

If you plan to use the light on the high output modes for extended periods of times, I would suggest the SC600 which with its larger mass should have better heat dissipation properties.

I guess I'm not making things easier for you
    Both good points actually and I had thought about that. I'd probably pocket carry (jacket) and note that you can attach a lanyard to the 600, but not to the 62, so swings and roundabouts really.
    Am I reading it right, or did the SC62 perform at max output for longer than the SC600 in selfbuilt's review? Is it simply because max is slightly lower on the 62?

Both good points actually and I had thought about that. I'd probably pocket carry (jacket) and note that you can attach a lanyard to the 600, but not to the 62, so swings and roundabouts really.
    Am I reading it right, or did the SC62 perform at max output for longer than the SC600 in selfbuilt's review? Is it simply because max is slightly lower on the 62?
    I'm sure runtime is minimal between the two , I have the SC600 and feels great in my large hands btw .
    is throw important to you ? If so go with the 600 , the throw is really good IMO .
    Zebralight SC600 mkII L2 , Streamlight ProTac HL , ET D25AAA Nichia.

From Selfbuit's review:
    Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post

My non-cooled SC600-II showed a less dramatic (and rapid) reduction in output, compare to the non-cooled SC62 runtime above. Again, I suspect this is due to the lower thermal mass for heatsinking available on the SC62.
    I think it has to do with both the slightly lower output, and the SC600's ability to sustain max output longer.
    To clarify what I meant: If they had started at the exact same output level, say 1000 lm, the SC62 would have stayed in H1 longer, but the SC600 would have been brighter.
    Last edited by Swede74; 02-18-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by oneinthaair View Post
    Check out a few post up^^^^ I added a Prometheus Ti clip to my SC600. That was the only complaint I had with the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums
    Nice! And you can still have a lanyard if necessary ��

OK, just ordered the SC600W MKII L2.
    Now for a charger and a pair of batteries...

Have gone for a pair of Xtar 3400mAh (panasonic protected) and a Nitecore UM10 for flexibility
    Last edited by davehutch; 02-19-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Flashaholic*

Time to wake up this thread after more than a years sleep!

Since several years I have two Zebralight headlamps: H501w and H501r. During a few years I have considered to get an SC52w as well. At the beginning of this year I decided to pull the trigger. But then I saw that a new SC5 had been released. So I ordered an SC5w(the same order included an Eagletac MX25L3C Nichia 219). The satisfaction of the SC5w resulted in another order next month of an H52w and SC52w.
    Then I saw that Zebralight also released newer mule version after my H501w: H502w. With much more modes and much brighter. I recall that while I really like H501w I have often find it a bit under powered, except from the high mode. 15lm mid mode is often a bit dim, while 85lm is fully adequate but means too short runtime. The new H502w has among other levels 25 and 50lm and much better runtime at 100lm than H501w at 85lm.
    I placed an order again, the third within three months: this time not only of an H502w but also an SC52d(it was at sale).

At this moment I consequently own seven Zebralight AA lights. And I LOVE them! Zebralight probably offers the finest 1AA lights and headlamps at the market! If it's of interest I can tell that H502w definitely is an improvement compared to H501w: the beam is as well wider and brighter(and yes; much lower too). The tint of my H502w is cooler than H501w. And while I often found the 15lm level of H501w too dim, the 50lm level of H502w is adequate.
    While SC52 and SC5 have similar beams the LUXEON T emitter of SC52d is smaller and provides a smaller hotspot with better throw than the other. The tint is cooler but still neutral.

Here is a picture of my current Zebralight collection(apologize for the bad image quality, don't know why it's so bad. The original is much better):

Last edited by Swedpat; 04-06-2016 at 11:17 AM.

You could start a ZebraLight showroom. I love it!
    Prince plays George Harrison's masterpiece While My Guitar Gently Weeps. R.I.P.
    Great vocals & guitar by LeAnn Rimes & Joss Stone as they cover Gershwin's Summertime.

I love Zebralights and over the years have owned a bunch. I have had some QA problems with my Zebralights, but perhaps this isn't surprising as I tend to get first-run preorders. Over the years I have had the following:
    Light What I liked What I didn't
    SC51 my first Zebralight. Great size and nice UI. My first quality e-switch light. Super slippery body, easy to accidentally turn-on button, and greenish tint. Clip mount gets in the way after "clipectomy" performed.
    SC52 even smaller than SC51. Much better button with much less chance of accidental activation. Greenish tint. Slippery body. Clip mount gets in the way after "clipectomy" performed.
    SC80 Finally a small Zebralight with grip! Seemed a bit bigger and heavier than needed for the size battery used though. Also my light had a QA issue where H2 didn't work. All other modes worked fine except H2 (light would blink and then turn off if cycled to H2).
    SC52w Just like the SC52, but with neutral yellowish tint. QA issue: Mine tended not to stay in 500 lumen turbo more than 30 seconds though even on a fresh 14500.
    SC600 Great light. Nice grip in hand Too large for pocket EDC. Greenish tint. My early preorder had a QA issue with a defective switch. Was fixed via warranty repair.
    SC62w nice output and perfect tint with no hint of green. Nice size. Slippery body. QA issue in that wouldn't stay in turbo for more than 5 seconds. Returned for replacement which mostly fixed the problem, but still doesn't stay in turbo as long as it is supposed to.
    SC32w Perfect tint. Much better tint than my SC52w. Light is almost too small. QA issue: Same problem as my SC62w... won't stay in turbo more than 15 seconds even on a fresh quality 16340. As a result, I consider this light too unreliable to EDC.
    SC5w Great grip. Great tint. Heavy with a thicker than needed battery tube. No 14500 support. Serious QA issue: After 1 month of use, max output declined from 500 lumens to approximately 25 lumens. All modes continue to work, just turbo is now around 25 lumens making this light useless for EDC until repaired.
    SC63w nice size, perfect tint, no QA issues. Super-slippery body in need of knurling. Ramps down relatively fast due to heat. Clip mount gets in the way when clip is removed (problem common to all Zebras with the screw-in clip)
    SC600w III HI Perfect in every way and my favorite Zebralight. Feels like a million bucks in the hand, small enough to EDC, great throw, perfect tint, zero QA issues, can run in turbo mode indefinitely. Very little ramp-down due to heat even when left tailstanding on turbo. Lanyard ring digs into the bottom of the hand. However, this is forgivable as the ring also serves as an antri-roll device.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 04-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.

^ I agree about the SC600w III HI...my favorite! Some anodizing issues on mine, but not a big deal.
    GOOD TINT!

I'm late to the party but I just got my first Zebralight, an SC52W L2. I love it so far!

One question. When you double click to go straight to medium mode, is it supposed to flash on high for a split second before going to medium? It's not a big deal but having High set to 280 and medium set to 25 it's a noticeable bright flash.

Yup it does

Quote Originally Posted by Flint Hills View Post
    I'm late to the party but I just got my first Zebralight, an SC52W L2. I love it so far!

One question. When you double click to go straight to medium mode, is it supposed to flash on high for a split second before going to medium? It's not a big deal but having High set to 280 and medium set to 25 it's a noticeable bright flash.
    The way I get around the pre flash is press and hold from off to cycle to medium..

I have the SC52w (none L2), does it have a strobe mode?

Banned

Lost my zl sc600mk 3 - naturally i ordered another one in cw again.

I noticed this one was slightly down on output and has a much more aggressive pid stepdown, with the output dropping a lot quicker on h1.

So i had a crack at changing the pid setting to the highest +5 degrees c setting. It worked and now its holds its lux on h1 much longer getting a little hotter of course but is also a little brighter than before and matchs my first one. I never adjusted the pid on the first one so it makes me wonder why this one was set on low.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jondextan View Post
    I have the SC52w (none L2), does it have a strobe mode?
    You can program H2 to strobe.
    Then you access the strobe with a doubleclick from H1.

Appreciate it!

Zebralight is by far my favorite flashlight manufacturer. I have 10 now I believe. I need to get them all together for a family picture. I Had all the newest versions and just today sold the SC600w MKIII as I still have the HI version. I wish they would release the HI version in CW. Can't recommend them enough.

Has anyone ever placed an order on the Zebralight website while the item in question was backordered? I'm just curious how they process that order - will they wait until the item comes back into stock and then only charge you once it ships? I want to order an SC5w (back ordered) and a spare pocket clip (in stock)...

Thanks...
    Maratac AAA Rev 5, AAA Cu Rev 4 ][ Lumintop Tool Cu, Tool Ti, Worm SS ][ Fenix E05, LD12 ][ Olight S2, i3E EOS

That's pretty much how they do it.

I'm contemplating ordering the SC5w also. I'm not sure why they call it a Warm tint though. 4400k is clearly in the neutral camp, bordering on cool.

I find it odd that they offer an SC5fc, but not an SC5c. The only difference being the lens. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope they release an SC5c for just a bit before I order.
    Last edited by Brasso; 04-27-2016 at 04:08 PM.
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    I find it odd that they offer an SC5fc, but not an SC5c.
    The ZebraLight SC5Fc uses a Cree XM-L2 EasyWhite emitter that is rated by ZebraLight for "Typical CRI: 83-85, Nominal CCT 4000K."

If you check the Cree datasheet for this emitter, you will see that it uses four LEDs mounted side-by-side. The four LEDs have small gaps that run between them. Without a frosted lens to blur the beam, you would probably see a dark doughnut hole or dark cross in the hot spot when using the beam at short distances.
    Last edited by KeepingItLight; 04-27-2016 at 06:57 PM.
    Great vocals & guitar by LeAnn Rimes & Joss Stone as they cover Gershwin's Summertime.

So it's basically an updated MCE.

I guess I won't wait.
    Ecc 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Yeah. I don't have the ZebraLight SC5Fc, but on paper it looks to have decent output and a nice floody beam. The one I am waiting for is the ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus. It is slated to offer the high output of a Cree XHP50 emitter, together with a CCT of 5000K and a CRI of 93-95 Ra.

Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst 12345678910111454 ... LastLast