Pocket Flashlight - for work!!!

rivermobster

Newly Enlightened
Hey all.

So I bought a Preon unit from FourSevens awhile back and have had nothing but problems with it. It could very well be the fact that I actually use the thing all day!!! I probably turn it on and off ten to twenty times a day, and at this point, I feel like it was not designed for this type of actual use.

Problem is I love the thing. The size is good, the output is good and it comes in colors that wont disappear (like black) when I set the thing down.

Is there a similar product out there that will withstand this type of use?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Joe

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

Pocket

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions

Open Shop. Not climate controlled

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Pocket/belt clip
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

Southernlight

Enlightened
Can you help forum members out by describing the problem a bit more?
Is it failing to come on with the twist action or what?

The basic Preon comes as a AAA twisty. There is a clicky tail cap as an accessory.
Could this option help?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC is the Fenix LD09 clipped inside of my front-right pocket. It gets used quite a bit and I have carried it every single day since I got it in November 2014; it still looks and works like brand new.

It might be worth a look for you!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your list of wants seems a little at odds to me in places and we really need more info to make some decent suggestions.

You say you want to be able to light an area outside at 150 yards but then say you need close reading only? Those do not go together at all.
No Preon that I have will perform at that distance on any day so I have to think you didn't mean what was typed maybe?

I know of no AAA light that will light n open field anywhere.

I think you need to move to an AA light and get something proven in tough environments like a Streamlight.
The AA models have some options through programming for your output choices yet they are simple in use ad have a good forward clicking tail switch.
The Streamlight are rugged and used by emergency workers everywhere and are decent solid lights for the money.

The Microstream AAA is a great light too in a great size but offers just one mode but does it well. There are good reasons it is such a popular light too.

rivermobster

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is the Fenix LD09 clipped inside of my front-right pocket. It gets used quite a bit and I have carried it every single day since I got it in November 2014; it still looks and works like brand new.

It might be worth a look for you!

Thank you. I will check that one out! :thumbsup:

Your list of wants seems a little at odds to me in places and we really need more info to make some decent suggestions.

You say you want to be able to light an area outside at 150 yards but then say you need close reading only? Those do not go together at all.
No Preon that I have will perform at that distance on any day so I have to think you didn't mean what was typed maybe?

I know of no AAA light that will light n open field anywhere.

I think you need to move to an AA light and get something proven in tough environments like a Streamlight.
The AA models have some options through programming for your output choices yet they are simple in use ad have a good forward clicking tail switch.
The Streamlight are rugged and used by emergency workers everywhere and are decent solid lights for the money.

The Microstream AAA is a great light too in a great size but offers just one mode but does it well. There are good reasons it is such a popular light too.

Looks like I forgot to remove that distance option. This light will be used for close up work only.

I have a full size Streamlight right now, it has served me well for YEARS, but I need something that will fit in my pocket! I'll look into what Streamlight offers. Thanks. :)

Any other options out there???

Salim

Newly Enlightened
thanks , your post is helpful for me to choose right product.

rivermobster

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any experience with the Nitecore MT06?

It looks like what I need IF the durability is there.

I'd post a link, but I dont wanna get ***** slapped again! :faint:

Last edited:

rivermobster

Newly Enlightened
These are flashlight forums right? Or am I in the wrong place??

:scratchinghead:

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Hey Rivermobster,

I think you will be oke with most AA lights from good manufacturers for what you are using it for. The Nitecore MT06 does look very good, maybe a bit long but that depends on how you carry it and what you consider long yourself!
The only AA light I have is a Fenix E12. 3 Modes 130 lumens max, cheap, 1 AA. So that's my recommendation but I think alot of lights will suffice! The mentioned Fenix LD09 is also good and easier to carry because it has a pocket clip.

Good luck in your search.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E12, too, and really like it, but it doesn't quite fit the originally posted needs of
narrow throw, or
having a pocket clip.

That being said, the LD09 covers both.

I'll also mention that if the requirements of "narrow throw" and "for range of less than one yard" don't quite make sense to me; why use a thrower for close range work? I have no doubt that there are situations that need both, but I wonder if there wasn't an editing mistake.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll add that the E12 is a stellar lighting tool that I think would benefit any person that doesn't collect flashlights - it just doesn't fit the stated mission here as well as the LD09.

I think that the E12 is going to be the light I give out as gifts to friends and family that I think are showing signs of budding flashaholism, ha ha ha! It was my first Fenix, and really lit my fire!

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Yea I have the e12 and it is almost perfect, except for no pocket clip. But i made a paracord fob for it.

AB8XL

Enlightened
Check out the EagleTac D25A Clicky it's a nice solid durable light and perfect for the pocket. I've been carrying one for years now after trying a dozen others. You also have a choice of LEDs, cool white or neutral white.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E12, too, and really like it, but it doesn't quite fit the originally posted needs of
narrow throw, or
having a pocket clip.

That being said, the LD09 covers both.

I'll also mention that if the requirements of "narrow throw" and "for range of less than one yard" don't quite make sense to me; why use a thrower for close range work? I have no doubt that there are situations that need both, but I wonder if there wasn't an editing mistake.

I agree with this too mostly,but the biggest difference for me is the forward click switch of the 09 vs the reverse of the 12.
I have determined pretty much for myself that I far prefer a forward clicky for most things that I need light for and so for me it is often a deal breaker if a light has a reverse switch.

So of course I carry both all the time!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with this too mostly,but the biggest difference for me is the forward click switch of the 09 vs the reverse of the 12.
I have determined pretty much for myself that I far prefer a forward clicky for most things that I need light for and so for me it is often a deal breaker if a light has a reverse switch.

I have found that the forward clicky is much better for me at work because I generally only use the light for short bursts = win.
At home where I usually turn a flashlight on to run for long periods of time, I prefer the reverse clicky so that I can change modes with a mere half-click; it may be silly, but I feel like it puts less wear on the mechanicals, haha.
My E12 and LD09 are my only single-tailswitched lights, so it really works out for me to EDC the LD09 for work and then use the E12 when I get home. The fact that the LD09 has an excellent pocket clip, tighter focus and always starts on medium really makes it a stellar work light for me!

So of course I carry both all the time!

Right on!!

rivermobster

Newly Enlightened
So it's been a year...

I bought the Nitecore...

It is still working Perfectly for me! I've had it fall in a drain pan full of coolant a couple of times as well. It wore out my Goal Zero batteries, so I just bought a new Nitecore smart charger and some Eneloop batteries from Amazon.

If you are looking for a pocket flashlight that actually works, I highly recommend the Nitecore. :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Check out the EagleTac D25A Clicky it's a nice solid durable light and perfect for the pocket. I've been carrying one for years now after trying a dozen others. You also have a choice of LEDs, cool white or neutral white.

+1

Also on AA size,check the thrunite T10S or T10T out,AAA size the TiS being stainless(like the T10S) stands out from the black and takes beatings work edc well.

Brett H

Newly Enlightened
Once you put a 14500 in a D25A, you will never go back to a single AA.

If you don't mind me asking, which D25A would you recommend? I have seen various emitters including an XP-L HI from Illumination Gear. I currently have the 2014 D25C Titanium version.