Have any of you had cataract surgery recently?

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes a month ago.I'm a little nervous about the coming surgery's and wonder how painful they are.My vision is currently 20/80 but I can still read and drive.

What can I expect?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had both done 3 years ago (not at the same time). Went from vision similar to yours to 20-20. Don't worry or think twice about doing it. No pain at all, just a few days of acclimating to the lens and a lot of eye drops. Fantastic improvement has changed my life.

DaveG

Enlightened
Had both done 3 years ago (not at the same time). Went from vision similar to yours to 20-20. Don't worry or think twice about doing it. No pain at all, just a few days of acclimating to the lens and a lot of eye drops. Fantastic improvement has changed my life.
Yes sir,could not agree more.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember to take the eyedrops as precribed. Reading glasses are compulsory. Pain is minimal. Now I'm about a quarter off diopter in one eye and a half cylinder in the other eye: essentially 20:20. It is so nice to be able to wear any kind of sunglasses. There are inherent risks to any surgery but this one is possibly the most successful in terms of outcomes. Pay the extra $ to correct significant astigmatism if you have any. It was about $1000 for me.

CandlePowerForums App

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies.I made the mistake of watching the operation on youtube and it freaked me out.I have talked to people on other forums and in real life and everyone talks about how their quality of life improved.My initial consultation with the surgeon is in March.I'm looking forward to having my vision back to normal.

Thanks again.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worth to think about multi focal ReSTOR lens which is more expensive but will solve the presbyopia and you will never need eye glasses for reading.

Sopchoppy

Newly Enlightened
Had both of mine done last June, 2 weeks apart. Medicare won't pay for both to be done at the same time. Go figure as it causes Anesthetist to bill twice and the use of the operating room to bill twice. I had the antibiotic put in the lens at the time of the surgery, eliminated need for me to remember them. Only down side to that is for 2-3 days I had what looked like a spider crawling around in my eye. Absolutely no pain whatsoever. I have to use 2.0 reading glasses but 20-20 at a distance is worth it. I was using contacts before and beyond the cost, I had recurring eye infections. Now, all is good.

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
It depends how long you have had the surgery done. If it is something that has been done quite recently..your eyes may still be recovering.. However, if you have any other diseases that are occuring in the back of your eye, or if there are any opacities that run anywhere along the visual axis, it will still lead to a decreased vision.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worth to think about multi focal ReSTOR lens which is more expensive but will solve the presbyopia and you will never need eye glasses for reading.

I'm still doing research on the multifocal intraocular lenses and whether or not they're worth the cost.I'll talk to the surgeon and decide if I'm going to pay the $2,000+ price tag.The surgery it self is free here in Canada.Millions of people go blind in third world countries because they can't afford the operation.We should be thankful we were born in the first world and have the quality of life we enjoy.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my first surgery today.The Optometrist that diagnosed me told me her Surgeon only had a three month waiting list.Turns out he also has a thriving Plastic Surgery practice as well.

The whole procedure was basically pain free.Tearing off the tape that the anesthesiologist put on my hand was the most painful part of the whole day.Note to self;shave hand before next operation.

I haven't been able to drive on the highway at night since I was diagnosed with cataracts.The first thing I'm going to do after I'm healed is to take my hotwires out into the wilderness and scare the hell out of the wildlife.LOL

LGT

Enlightened
I had my first surgery today.The Optometrist that diagnosed me told me her Surgeon only had a three month waiting list.Turns out he also has a thriving Plastic Surgery practice as well.

The whole procedure was basically pain free.Tearing off the tape that the anesthesiologist put on my hand was the most painful part of the whole day.Note to self;shave hand before next operation.

I haven't been able to drive on the highway at night since I was diagnosed with cataracts.The first thing I'm going to do after I'm healed is to take my hotwires out into the wilderness and scare the hell out of the wildlife.LOL
My Dad just had that surgery. Totally improved his vision. Shocked to see him reading something with no glasses.