SufeFire M6 D/C Adapter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
With all the skillful folks we have on CPF, I was wondering if anyone was up to building a D/C adapter for the SureFire M6. Having an M6 running on an auto D/C adapter would make for a great combination to keep in the vehicle. I know the M6 is a 9-volts light and most autos are 12-volt, but there has to be some type of registor or something that could be added.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray,

I lately bought a cheap 12 to 6V DC DC adapter which even was inside the cigarette lighter connector - so this would be almost perfect as the M6 voltage using the MN21 is dropping to 6V anyway - but the poor little thing can only supply too less current - you´ll need around 5A for the HOLA and that makes it a little more tricky.

You might just use some 1:2 voltage divider (12 to 6) in case of the HOLA - easy enough - you also will need to come up with some good connector though. But why not just use one of the readily avaiable 12V Halogen Car spot lights then anyway ?

I think pretty much all readily available cigarette plug DC DC adapters will fall short of the 5A requirement of the HOLA - even the 2,5A is more than most can supply.

This is what I would do if you really want to use the M6 - go and check for a cigarette plug DC DC converter specified for 7.5V and 2.5A for the LOLA or 6V and 5A for the HOLA and have someone put some appropiate connector into the M6 battery holder - so you only ned to remove the endcap and plus in the connector from the DC-DC converter.

Klaus

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ray,

I am not offering to try this here but I think your best solution is to get a hold of a spare M6 tail cap. Your battery eliminator could then be built using the tailcap as the base. I think you need to determine the voltage the M6 HOLA or LOLA was dessigned at. I am assuming that the LOLA was designed to work at possibly a higher voltage than the HOLA as I assume that there is a greater voltage drop on the batteries when the HOLA is being used. Once you know the target voltage, I am sure that someone here could design you a good DC-DC converter that will accept a range of Vin and provide you the output and current you need for the bulb. Radio Shack has some inexpensive voltage regulators that could be used in multiples in parallel until you have the current capacity you need I think??!??!?

I made a battery eliminator that replaces the tail cap on the PM6 or a SF classic 2x123 tail cap and it is a great accessory for any light that is kept in the car. I think you have a good idea there! Running a M6 on SLA when possible certainly would go easier on the pocket book!! I have the KenRad PSL35 HID with a automotive battery eliminator and it certainly is preferable than loading the 15x123 battery cassette!