Can a 6D Maglite hold 7D cells with short recessed tailcap?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,
I was at my local hardware store and saw the 6D Maglites. I thought wow, an MTG2 direct drive off 7D cell would give about 8.4V input which is where the MTG2 works great. I know off the charger the NiMH Tenergy are 1.4A though and 6 of those give 8.4V too.

I know there are extensions for these D Maglites and might go that route.

Thank you,
bigC

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

no. there is not enough mettal in D tailcup to bore out for extra cell, the o ring channel has a thin wall as it is, you'll lose the threaded part if you bore it out.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

no. there is not enough mettal in D tailcup to bore out for extra cell, the o ring channel has a thin wall as it is, you'll lose the threaded part if you bore it out.

Oh....well that pretty much explains it very well. Thank you.

For some reason I thought the 6D/7D Maglite would have ubber long tailcap springs to account for the extra weight of the 6D/7D cells.

bigC

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh....well that pretty much explains it very well. Thank you.

For some reason I thought the 6D/7D Maglite would have ubber long tailcap springs to account for the extra weight of the 6D/7D cells.

bigC
space between last cell and edge of the battery tube seem to be same for 2d and 6d, at least equal enough not to notice any difference with a naked eye. i did notice few diferent designs of springs in d mags, but i think it has more to do with different time of manufacturing than amount of cells, if you go to buy parts for mag from z battery, for example, all sizes of D mags have same spring (same part number). i think they designed spring that will have enough force for 6 cells and use them everywhere, this is a lot chaper that way than have special springs for every model.