rycen

Enlightened
Larry,
what are the lights in the far right corner on the bottom?nice pics BTW

Larry1582

Enlightened
Rycen,

If you are looking at the survival lights,
Older Eveready Strobe Light, SDU-5/E with two CR123 batteries installed with adapter, ACR Firefly Plus Strobe/Flashlight, D Cell Emergency Strobe, Military DLA-400-81-F-3116 Light, Navy D cell light.

If you are talking about a different picture, I will try again.

Thanks

Larry1582

Enlightened
Rycen,

If you were looking at the police style flashlights, from left to right there is

Streamlight SL-15, Pro-Lite PL-15, Streamlight SL-15x (My First Duty Light), Streamlight 3D, Refurbished CHP SL-20X from John Weibler, 2-5 cell heavy aluminum built like a Kel-lite but no name, 5D Kel-lite, Streamlight SL-35, 5D Mag-lite, 5D Streamlight. There is a 2 C Streamlight and a 2 C Bianchi standing up between the 2-5 cell and the Kel-lite.

The super long police light across the bottom of the case holds 12 D batteries. The tube comes apart in four sections. It has L.A. Screw Products Inc stamped on the tail cap along with police use only stamped on the body.

Thanks

DonL

Enlightened
Larry, congrats on an outstanding display of your collection!
smile.gif

Ratso

Enlightened
WHOA!!! You could open a museum or something!
smile.gif

Edit: I just noticed that 4 foot long light at the bottom. I wonder who would use it?

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
Larry 1582;

I believe the 12-D cell light you have is a "Code-4" light, that was made by L.A. Screw Products in Pico Rivera California. The switches were stamped "Police Equipment - For Police Use Only." They were a blue color (advertisements said the blue matched the finish of most firearms - I never saw a gun that color!) and D-cell only (2 to 7 cells). They were designed so that if the switch failed (which happened alot), it could be removed and the light could still be used by rotating the head to turn it off or on. You could also (with the proper assemblies) change the number of batteries used. I have a 4-cell version; I can change it into a 3-cell or into a 1-cell light. Different size battery lengths could be bought separately, to make larger lights (hence the 12-cell). You could change the type of light beam you had (spot or flood) by changing the reflector (on the very common Kel-Lite, if you wanted to change the beam, you had to change the entire head assembly).

The Code-4 light was very popular with Los Angeles County Agencies in the late 1970's, as the 3 and 4 cell versions were lighter than the Kel-Lite (which meant they better met department weight requirements). The two major problems with this light were: 1) the switches kept breaking (later redesigned) and 2) the deep knurl on the tubes kept shredding the "sap" pockets most Officers carried their flashlights in (later smoothed). By the time these changes were made, the Mag-lite was introduced which "killed" this light.

L.A. Screw Products also made a similar light for firefighters. I forgot what it was called (not many were made), but it was red in color, had a special "smoke cutter" bulb and was stamped, "Fire Equipment - For Fire Department Use Only." I also heard they made a light for paramedics/ambulance personnel that was silver, but I never saw one.

Hope this was interesting.

Mike

Larry1582

Enlightened
Thanks for the information. It is a L.A. Screw light. It has four tube sections on it to get the 12 D batteries in. It is a heavy light. This light still works just fine.

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
Larry1582;

You mentioned in your post that one of your lights is a Bianchi light (AKA "B-Lite"). Would you (or anybody reading this) know where I could find a replacement switch for this light? I have the 4-D cell version, that my father bought for me in 1974 (my first "police type" flashlight). I broke the switch many years ago, and I would like to get it running again.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Mike

Larry1582

Enlightened
Sorry,
The one I have was in working order when I found it. I don't know where you might find the part.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry...all I can say is "WOW"
grin.gif

How long have you been collecting? Do you live on eBay and at flea markets?
smile.gif

What does the wife think of your collection? Mine would croak, I think, if she came in and saw all my lights like that one day.

Larry1582

Enlightened
Well, my wife got mad and decided she was going to start collecting Furbie's to get back at me. Each one of those critters use 4 AA batteries. She has been using up all my flashlight batteries.

Was hooked on EBAY for a couple of years. Once the flashlight case started filling up, got away from EBAY. Just go to local second hand stores and flea markets now.

Thanks

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
Rycen;

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the switch (and if I did, I have no way of posting it). I can try to describe it: it is a plastic two-piece unit (one piece is the housing that screws into the tubing; the other piece is "T" shape that slides back-and-forth under the housing, to turn the light on and off. It is a three-position switch (off, flash and on). The switch is similar to those found on the old Pro-Lights.

I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. I appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

Mike

Larry1582

Enlightened
I am at work right now. The best I remember it is an Eveready from the late 20's. When I get home tonight I will tell you exactly and how many batteries it holds.