Luxeon-Where to start???

clicker

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty, I've gotten to the point in my flashaholism, that white LED's are no longer bright enough for me.

I'm hoping that experimenting with the Luxeon will give me a good fix. Anyway other than being really really bright I don't know where to get started with a luxeon.

Wondering if you guys could help direct me. Where should I go to get the low down on luxeons??
I've got questions about optics, powering the beast(direct cell output or step up circuit)
Anyway any help would be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the best thing i can suggest is just to go reading through the homemade and modded forum.

go back several months and see what people have done and how they've done it. once you get your first mod done you can start to get the ideas on creating your own.

the modified flashlights reference database is filled with links on mods people have made.
being a machinist yourself, you should take special care at looking at mcgizmo, dspeck, and my mods. there are several other excellent machinists on this forum, but they didn't put their links on that thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

clicker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the help, I looked at the luxeon site and am finally starting to get the hang of it.

I'm still totally lost as far as the optics go I'm looking for a long throw, so most likely a narrow beam collimator, But I keep seeing people mentioning High dome, low dome......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Somebody help !!!!!!

Zigzago

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
clicker said:
I keep seeing people mentioning High dome, low dome......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Somebody help !!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean lambertian and batwing? What's there to be confused about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

clicker

Newly Enlightened
Yeah.......THAT....

So what's the major difference between the two...my guess is the batwing is more spread then throw. Vice versa for the lambertian. But does that effect which optic to use??

illumiGeek

Enlightened
If you are looking for a tight, long throwing beam, then you want a high-dome (Lambertian) and either a Fraen Low Profile Optic (narrow beam), or just put it in a big Mag (C/D) reflector.

Probably one of the simpler mods would be a 3 cell C or D Mag with a Hotlips heatsink. You can DD it off of NiCad or NiMh rechargables and be pretty close to spec.

Wayne @ Elektrolumens has some very nice bin Lux III emitters on sale now. I ordered a few of those, and some others from the other Wayne @ the Sandwich Shop. I've got several mods I'm working on now - some older 1W I'm updating with 3W, and some new stuff. Now if I could just find some nicely binned 5W...

Anyway, good luck.

Aloha, iG

clicker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, that pretty much set me on the right path....I'll keep ya posted on the project.