L11C

MightyP

Newly Enlightened
I very recently heard a rumor L3 Illumination will be coming out with an L11C. I've searched on here and with general web searches and can't find any info.

Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

MightyP

Newly Enlightened
L3 Illumination makes flashlights. Specifically, the L10C, a light I love but apparently isn't so reliable. I heard a rumor the L11C (an upgraded version of the L10C?) is coming out soon. Just wondering if anyone knows any info.

Here's a link to the L10C.

Amelia

Enlightened
I got an email today from a friend who is in contact with L3 Illumination. The email says that the L11C should "go live" and be available for sale at the beginning of this week.
I'm excited - I have a L10C (Nichia 219, 4-mode), it's one of my favorite lights in terms of beam quality - I just don't trust it much because of various reports of unreliability. Hopefully the L11C will solve all that, and maybe be a bit shorter too... we'll see! :)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm excited to see what happens here. I had an L10C but as much as I liked it, I hated the UI. Constantly cycling thru modes drove me nuts. Like the L10 twisty, the reset time seemed like an eternity (about 6 seconds).

Amelia

Enlightened
I just checked the SBFlashlights website. The L11C in both Cree and Nichia emitter versions is now orderable.
However, it looks like they just copied all the L10C information on the description. Still says 219A on emitter type, even though they switched to 219b on all their lights months ago.
I think I'll order a natural colored Nichia 219 version with 4-modes tomorrow! :)

markr6

Flashaholic
I just checked the SBFlashlights website. The L11C in both Cree and Nichia emitter versions is now orderable.
However, it looks like they just copied all the L10C information on the description. Still says 219A on emitter type, even though they switched to 219b on all their lights months ago.
I think I'll order a natural colored Nichia 219 version with 4-modes tomorrow! :)

Yeah looks like a copy-and-paste. I would actually like the 219A though!

So, what's different on this model vs. the L10C?

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Yeah looks like a copy-and-paste. I would actually like the 219A though!

So, what's different on this model vs. the L10C?

LOL, was very excited to see the new light when I saw this post, but when I went to the website even the picture is recycled from the L10C =\ I guess it's what you'd call an incremental upgrade ;)

I had corresponded with SBflashlights a few weeks back about this release, and they said the differences are "Minor improvements to the clip, internals etc. New packaging as well." So hopefully that means they strengthened the wiring/soldering to make it more drop resistant, and took a millimeter off of the top of the clip so it will tail-stand better. I don't really care about the packaging, but I actually liked the plastic case they used to come in since it could be reused to store and transport the light... hopefully they stayed with that concept rather than switching to throw-away retail packaging.

When someone gets one of these, I'd love to see a pic and hear first impressions... I really like my L10C, and will likely buy the upgrade if they've done a good job with the improvements.

markr6

Flashaholic
OK. I liked the simple plastic case too. I took a Dremel to my L10C clip to make it tailstand; didn't take much at all. Not the most robust clip, but it was OK by me.

I think I'll pass since I hated the UI on my L10C...cycling thry low and medium all the time. Plus I found the switch to feel/sound cheap (loud).

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I took a Dremel to my L10C clip to make it tailstand; didn't take much at all. Not the most robust clip, but it was OK by me.

Tailstanding isn't really an important use-case for me, so I didn't mind the fact that the clip protruded a bit beyond the base of the light enough to do something about it. As you say, it's easily fixed, -- but still it's an implementation fail that i hope they resolve in this new version. Where I think they got it right is the tension of the clip... a good amount of grippiness without being a pocket-shredder, and easy to clip on or off the pocket with one hand. Not as good as Quark clips (which are the best IMHO), but I think better than Eagletac D25 or Zebralight clips.

I think I'll pass since I hated the UI on my L10C...cycling thry low and medium all the time.

Different strokes... I prefer starting in low if I have to choose one or the other. However, I'm still a big fan of the old-school UI found on (for example) Fenix LD10/20, Quark Pro series, and EagleTac D25 series -- where you can choose high or low output with a head twist before even turning the light on. I understand why L3 Illumination doesn't use that sort of UI with this series, but I think it would make more people happy if they did.

Plus I found the switch to feel/sound cheap (loud).

It is indeed a loud clicky switch, probably the loudest in my collection.... but I don't mind the feel of it per se. Re: durability, the switch has held up so far.

markr6

Flashaholic
Different strokes... I prefer starting in low if I have to choose one or the other. However, I'm still a big fan of the old-school UI found on (for example) Fenix LD10/20, Quark Pro series, and EagleTac D25 series -- where you can choose high or low output with a head twist before even turning the light on. I understand why L3 Illumination doesn't use that sort of UI with this series, but I think it would make more people happy if they did.

Yeah it's hard to choose one or the other; really depends on how you use it. Too bad there isn't a simple program for two modes:

1. L>M>H
2. H>M>L

That way lumen lovers have little issue using mode 2 all the time. Nighttime sleepwalkers will like mode 1. Done.

Amelia

Enlightened
Wow!
I guess I'm one of the few who find the UI on the L10C to be perfect! I really like the mode spacing too... and the beam is nearly flawless.
I'm just afraid to use the thing much because of all the failure reports.

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow!
I guess I'm one of the few who find the UI on the L10C to be perfect! I really like the mode spacing too... and the beam is nearly flawless.

Everything about it was pretty much perfect IMO, but I just can't get used to always cycling to get to high. That's what keeps me from loving most EagleTac lights, and then those flashy modes...pure torture!

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Wow! I guess I'm one of the few who find the UI on the L10C to be perfect! I really like the mode spacing too...

I think UI on L10C is very good, and didn't mean to imply otherwise above... the lack of blinky modes is for my purposes a big plus, and more than makes up for the fact that it cannot be programmed or otherwise set to start on high. Simplicity is a good thing, especially when you factor in the price.

This will (hopefully) be the main "feature" of the L11C... improved durability. I haven't had any problems with my L10C, but then again I haven't dropped it (yet).

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
I received mine - in Nichia 219B - today.

Some initial thoughts -

Nice anodising, though a bit slippery in the hand. The clip's a bit thin, but it's deep and grippy enough to work with my belt and pockets. There's noticeable battery rattle.

fswuZ20.jpg

UUMqDAA.jpg

XE0MQ2w.jpg

urCz8p7.jpg

94p2D8e.jpg

D41511I.jpg

7ZDUNAh.jpg

W73Mrxc.jpg

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
herbicide,
Thanks for the mini-review! Mine (I decided on Orange 4-Mode) is arriving tomorrow.
So far, based on your photos, it looks EXACTLY the same as the L10C. This is disappointing in a way - I was hoping they might shorten the light a bit. However, it's ALL good if they fixed the reliability issue - it's the main thing that keeps me from loving my L10C and using it more. Better 14500 support would be nice too...

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
No problem. This is my first from L3, so I'm currently thinking 'reliability issue'? What reliability issue!? :s

I'll keep my fingers crossed. ...as for 14500s; they still disrecommend them due to heat. The head's based around a brass pill, but it doesn't scream huge heatsink to me.

tmKKDiy.jpg

DJg32RI.jpg

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I'll keep my fingers crossed. ...as for 14500s; they still disrecommend them due to heat. The head's based around a brass pill, but it doesn't scream huge heatsink to me.

May not be a huge loss anyway. When I put 14500s in my L10, I basically had high, slightly higher, and HIGH modes.