Start date for G2 w/glass lens instead of polycarbonate?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently scored a very nice used Surefire G2 incan on eBay. Love it a lot, dropped in the LF XP-G 90+ triple mode, and just got an EFest 16650. As my dad used to say, "Now I'm cooking with gas!". This one came with the lock-out tail cap, if that helps date it. I can't tell whether the lens is polycarbonate or glass. I'd really rather have a glass lens if I can. Does anyone remember when Surefire switched the G2 from polycarbonate to glass?

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
You may want to look for a aluminum bezel to deal with the extra heat, any from the 6P/9P series will work.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had wanted an aluminum bezel I would have bought one that way. I wanted the old Nitrolon bezel so that I could pick my own drop ins. The reason I asked the question is that I once melted the polycarbonate lens on an original G2 when it got turned on in the holster. I replaced it with a borofloat lens from flashlightlens.com, and was really pleased with the difference. I am thinking about doing it again just to get the better transmission percentage. BTW, my bezel has the little niches in it for a bezel tool, so I am going to assume it is polycarbonate, because I seem to remember Surefire changing the bezel to glued in before they changed the lens to glass.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, heat can be a issue for both lens and light. I suggest you try a Ultra Clear lens from Overready. I too normally only do the Aluminum heads. I melted a led in the Nitrolon head. Example, If you were to leave it on again in the holster, you would likely melt the led too now.

I tap mine with a coin and I can hear the difference in glass or plastics.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 never came with a glass lens, it is polycarbonate if it is the original bezel. I have changed out numerous G2 plastic lenses for hardened mineral glass over the years. The G3 and G2Z all have pyrex/borofloat lenses though. You're also ruining the inner metal tube of the G2 by using a drop in LED (unless it's a type like the P60L) as it spreads out the throat near the top when you tight the bezel down.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 never came with a glass lens, it is polycarbonate if it is the original bezel. I have changed out numerous G2 plastic lenses for hardened mineral glass over the years. The G3 and G2Z all have pyrex/borofloat lenses though. You're also ruining the inner metal tube of the G2 by using a drop in LED (unless it's a type like the P60L) as it spreads out the throat near the top when you tight the bezel down.
Taken from current G2 Incandescent page on Surefire website: Coated tempered window resists impact, maximizes light
I have never heard of tempering polycarbonate. On a different slant, which kind of glass do you prefer for a lens. Flashlightlens offers UCL and Borofloat in glass, and something called UCLp AR Acrylic.

Can you elaborate on ruining the inner metal tube? My drop in is actually the same size or smaller than a P60. The only difference is that there is only the small inner spring. The driver board portion of the drop in has a brass housing with three solder spots around the perimeter. I don't know what other function they provide, but they are in intimate contact with the inner tube, and in effect make the inner tube part of the heat sink.

What are the three springs for on the P60? The inner one is obviously the positive contact, the middle heavy spring is the negative contact, and keeps the LA in good contact with the inner metal tube. What is the loose outer spring for? Do I need it on a G2?

PS: My D26 is the XP-G triple mode from Lumens Factory in 90+ CRI. I love it!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
When SF introduced the G2 LED (~2007?), they replaced the nitrolon head/bezel assembly with an aluminum one, related to the Z44 but with a matte finish rather than the standard gloss black Type II ano of the Z44.

As there were no insignia / body differences between the G2 and the G2 LED, I imagine that distinctions could get a little blurry (hello LEGO), and I wouldn't be surprised that SF could have shipped a number G2's with the G2 LED aluminum head/bezel assembly instead of the Nitrolon one - they do seem to take a pretty free hand at inline substitutions during manufacture.

Furthermore, any G2 that isn't NIP could easily have had parts swapped by previous owners, either the drop-in or the head/bezel assembly.
I could imagine someone owning an existing 6P and purchasing a G2LED, then doing a dropin swap. Or, for that matter, owning a G2 and purchasing a 6P LED and doing the same thing.

Shorter answer - can't say. :)

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, mine has the Nitrolon bezel, so from what I am hearing I probably have the polycarbonate lens. Now I have to find a way to get the retaining ring out without chewing it up. Hope this one if from before they started putting Loctite on.

Does anyone now what the code on the outside of the P60 reflector is for? I have two P60s, one says 'WE4', the other says 'UG2'.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taken from current G2 Incandescent page on Surefire website: Coated tempered window resists impact, maximizes light
I have never heard of tempering polycarbonate. On a different slant, which kind of glass do you prefer for a lens. Flashlightlens offers UCL and Borofloat in glass, and something called UCLp AR Acrylic.

Can you elaborate on ruining the inner metal tube? My drop in is actually the same size or smaller than a P60. The only difference is that there is only the small inner spring. The driver board portion of the drop in has a brass housing with three solder spots around the perimeter. I don't know what other function they provide, but they are in intimate contact with the inner tube, and in effect make the inner tube part of the heat sink.

What are the three springs for on the P60? The inner one is obviously the positive contact, the middle heavy spring is the negative contact, and keeps the LA in good contact with the inner metal tube. What is the loose outer spring for? Do I need it on a G2?

PS: My D26 is the XP-G triple mode from Lumens Factory in 90+ CRI. I love it!

They might have changed the G2 recently, but in the past the G2 incan light has never come with a glass lense, only plastic. I couldn't say if Surefire just made this change as I don't have any newly manufactured G2's. This would probably be a question better asked of SF. I don't have an overwhelming preference for glass except that I don't like UCL because they are delicate, and I don't like coated glass because I like to clean my lenses sometimes. Hardened mineral glass or borofloat/pyrex is how I go with everything for durability and light transmission.

When you tighten the head down with most drop-ins it puts outward pressure against the metal sleeve. I guess I've never actually seen a G2 that didn't function with the incan lamp afterwards, but I just don't like the idea of possibly bending that sleeve out.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, mine has the Nitrolon bezel, so from what I am hearing I probably have the polycarbonate lens. Now I have to find a way to get the retaining ring out without chewing it up. Hope this one if from before they started putting Loctite on.

Does anyone now what the code on the outside of the P60 reflector is for? I have two P60s, one says 'WE4', the other says 'UG2'.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

They make retaining ring removers. You also could use a jeweler's wrench. AFAIK they've always used the Loctite on the retaining ring. Best way to remove the retaining ring is soak the bezel in a glass of hot water for about a minute. Should come loose pretty easily after that. I usually boil a glass of water in the microwave. But be careful when you put the part in after it's out of the microwave as the water could flash boil causing injury.

The code is just for what manufacturing batch it comes from.

justlooking

Newly Enlightened
When SF introduced the G2 LED (~2007?), they replaced the nitrolon head/bezel assembly with an aluminum one, related to the Z44 but with a matte finish rather than the standard gloss black Type II ano of the Z44.
:)

When the G2L was introduced, there were also some produced with the original G2-style nitrolon bezel (with the small 'nubs' instead of the hex flats) and the P60L dropin. I asked Surefire about this; they said that heat would not be a problem, but - typical of SF Customer Service - they sent me an aluminum Z44 anyway. (Not sure if it was matte or glossy.). Mine is still sealed NIP, so I can't check the dates on the batteries.

Didn't the P60L have some sort of overheat protection buil-in?