PEAK
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: AA MiniMag Collection

Default Re: AA MiniMag Collection

Is anyone looking for a Flag in the presentation box?

I picked up three Mags a couple of weeks ago that were just not the same colors as I'm used to seeing. The lights weren't quite chrome because they had a hint of blue in the color. But they were brighter in color than a pewter color. I don't know what colors they were. In the picture a sample of the color is the top row, fifth from the left. Chrome color is to the left and pewter is on the right of the mystery color. Does anyone know what the color is officially called?

Since I am the mass-destroyer of the MiniMag light...I had the three lights chopped in half. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I haven't looked at all my lights recently enough to know off the top of my head. If you still have the package, look at the back for part and/or model numbers and/or color descriptions.

It could be a stock color that has some serious anodizing variances. I have seen some REAL differences in the same color myself.

Where was it bought? I am aware of a few "new" colors out right now. Wal-mart just got blue-shimmer. Target? has copper.

DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE OF THEM, OR CAN YOU GET MORE?

I ripped open the packages to cut the lights in half at night under a fluorescent light. Then I took the Mags to be chopped to a machine shop. When the lights got back and in normal light I was putting the lamp assemblies back into Mags- that is when I noticed the color differences. Iíve used the blister packs to send out the chopped lights so I wouldnít know which light went to the blister packs.

But I can tell you that all the lights came from Wal-Mart. And Wal-Mart has the lights under fluorescent lights so it is hard to see the difference from the mystery chrome-blue and chrome.

I know Iím not crazyÖmy wife noticed the color difference too.

Iíll have to check Wal-Mart to see if they have any more of the mystery color.

Edit: Even a guy at work noticed the color was different.

Oh goody!

I JUST got an email from the person making my display case. It is supposed to be ready Friday. Took long enough...... about 6 months or so.

[ QUOTE ]
    haveblue said:
    I ripped open the packages to cut the lights in half at night under a fluorescent light. Then I took the Mags to be chopped to a machine shop. When the lights got back and in normal light I was putting the lamp assemblies back into Mags- that is when I noticed the color differences. Iíve used the blister packs to send out the chopped lights so I wouldnít know which light went to the blister packs.

But I can tell you that all the lights came from Wal-Mart. And Wal-Mart has the lights under fluorescent lights so it is hard to see the difference from the mystery chrome-blue and chrome.

I know Iím not crazyÖmy wife noticed the color difference too.

Iíll have to check Wal-Mart to see if they have any more of the mystery color.

Edit: Even a guy at work noticed the color was different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to look at all mine soon. I have a sinking feeling this may have been an old/rare color (unless it was bad anodizing). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] That light could have been worth some bucks!

I wouldn't be to sure about the old and rare color. The Wal-Mart I got 1/2 of the lights from is a Super Wal-Mart that just opened one month ago- across the street from the older and smaller Wally World across the street. All the stock in Super Wally was suppose to be new stock and the stock I picked up wasn't dusty. So I emptied their new stock of MiniMags.

The other half of the bunch of lights I picked up from a local town is also from a Wally World. I raid that place regularly and empty out their stock of MiniMags too.

The past few times I've been to my WalMart I've noticed some new/different colors. It almost seems like they got a limited run in as more "normal" colors have been appearing as of lately.

-Mike

[ QUOTE ]
    haveblue said:
    I picked up three Mags a couple of weeks ago that were just not the same colors as I'm used to seeing. The lights weren't quite chrome because they had a hint of blue in the color. But they were brighter in color than a pewter color. I don't know what colors they were. In the picture a sample of the color is the top row, fifth from the left. Chrome color is to the left and pewter is on the right of the mystery color. Does anyone know what the color is officially called?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds exactly like one that I had recently. I believe Mag calls it "grey".

I made a quick check of my sources and so far it looks like pewter and gray are the same color. I'll try to look into this further later on.

[ QUOTE ]
    turbodog said:

Yeah, that actually occurred to me. I need a NEW black to match all these lights. I am ala roy having a case built for them in february.

[/ QUOTE ]

Case will be ready this Friday. Looks like it took closer to a year instead of the 6 months I remember.

Wal Mart does have a new grey variant. "Charcoal" if I remember correctly. It is darker than grey. I saw some yesterday morning but 10 hours of airport waiting and flying has fuzzed my memory out.

[ QUOTE ]
    Pellidon said:
    Wal Mart does have a new grey variant. "Charcoal" if I remember correctly. It is darker than grey. I saw some yesterday morning but 10 hours of airport waiting and flying has fuzzed my memory out.

[/ QUOTE ]

*smacks pellidon upside the head*

Don't you know you're supposed to tell me and Roy about these new ones!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I just saw it yesterday and got to a computer today. Sorry. Ouch!

I just received a Minimag which I bought from another CPF member who called it pewter. It's the same as the the one with the slightly blue color mentioned above. The one I've always referred to as pewter is the same as the 6th light in haveblue's picture, which he also calls pewter. It's kind of like silver, but about 20 to 30 percent darker.

One noticeable difference between the lights is the way the finish feels. The real pewter one feels like bare metal, while the bluish one feels as though it has some sort of clearcoat finish sprayed on. I get a sensation of something akin to plastic, and there's considerably more friction as I rub my thumb across the surface. The rubbing also produces a quite audible sound.

Can anyone confirm this charcoal color?

If so, would that person buy me one and ship it to me?

I don't think the mystery Mag color is charcoal.

If you had a Printer's Pantone Matching System Color & Black Selector book I would say the color is Pantone 300C blue halftone print with 10% blue and 10% black halftone screens.

Well, I'll just call my contact there tomorrow.

I think an Enron mm would be essential

The way Maglite is apparently beginning to issue new colors, I hope Turbodog's new display case has slots for more than the twenty "current" factory standard colors or else his new show piece is already obsolete.

I pick it up Friday and it has 40 slots. I currently have 31 lights.

Eh? If Mag won't make an LED light then they make different color lights instead. Now that is marketing! That saves a lot on R&D. I don't think Mag has an R&D department. Maybe Mag has just one person mixing paint colors.

Ok. Just got off the phone with my contact @ mag. They say that there is no new color. The most recent colors they released were jade/copper/blue shimmer.

They went on to say that they *though* that pewter and gray are 2 different color. I looked up the part #s they gave me, and I have to disagree with this. They did say that a certain degree of anodizing variance was acceptable and that is likely where the difference has come from.

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

Would someone that has access to a "blue shimmer" AA MiniMag please PM me. The price I pay for living in smalltown America is the lack of diversity in retail outlets.

Turbodog: Be sure to post pictures of your new display case. I have always been curious about what Baskin Robbins "31" flavors of ice cream were. Now I'm curious about your "31" minimags. I thought there were 20 "general" released colors plus the Nascar flame and finish flags,(are you counting the drivers series?) and the gold plated one Mag did for Neiman Marcus co. years ago. Then there are the 3 lights in the Americana collection. Are your other MM lights ones that are finished with "acceptable anodizing variance"s? What am I missing?

Roy and Turbodog, I'm heading off to WalMart later this afternoon. If there are any colors that I consider to be "unusual" I'll pick them up and post pictures. If they turn out to be some normal ones and no one wants them I can always return them.

-Mike

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

Xrunner....turbodog is getting me a blue shimmer,,,,thanks anyway!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeritall said:
    Turbodog: Be sure to post pictures of your new display case. I have always been curious about what Baskin Robbins "31" flavors of ice cream were. Now I'm curious about your "31" minimags. I thought there were 20 "general" released colors plus the Nascar flame and finish flags,(are you counting the drivers series?) and the gold plated one Mag did for Neiman Marcus co. years ago. Then there are the 3 lights in the Americana collection. Are your other MM lights ones that are finished with "acceptable anodizing variance"s? What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you know, you can get any color you want in quantities of 10k from mag.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Ok, here we go.

Two cases were made. Each holds 22 lights.

The material is mahogany. The corner inserts are wenge. There are hangers on the back for wall-mounting.

Here you get a good close-up of how the lights fit into the holders.

And here is it filled with lights.

Top row (left to right): flag, bronze, regular blue, fuschia, jade, light blue, pink, real gold, midnight blue, silver, black

Bottom row (left to right): camo, nascar spectrum, dark green, shimmer blue, orange, copper, purple, pewter, red, regular gold, lime green

Second set:

Midnight blue (smooth), regular gold, lime green (smooth), orange, americana 1 2 3, regular gold, copper

I spoke with the maker about making more of these cases. He said that this was basically a favor (I still paid him) to me for being a good customer through the years. If he was to make more, 10 sets (20 total ones) would be a minimum amount.

[ QUOTE ]
    turbodog said:
    I currently have 31 lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
    We need updated pics!