Headlight wiring acting crazy! Low beam harness fried

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
1996 Lexus ES300, 9005 high beams, 9006 low beams. In a correctly functioning car, the low beams are still on when the high beams are on.

Anyway, my problem is, the left low-beam harness wires got fried somehow. The left high-beam wiring is fine, and the right headlight wiring is perfectly fine.

I've had this issue for a few years, but when I first got it, I simply bought a Napa 9006 harness and reconnected and everything was fine for a few years.

But now, when I have the low beams on:
-The left low beam is very dim
-The right low beam works as expected
--BUT, both high beams are also on but very dim! WTF? :mad:
---Also, the high beam indicator light in the dash is on but very very dim.

When I have the high beams switched on:
-High beam dash indicator light works as it should
-Right high beam is on full brightness
-Right low beam is on full brightness
-The left headlight doesn't work at ALL! No high beam, and no low beam, either!

What could be my problem? Hopefully I don't have to spend too much money on it, because the car has other problems and I want to buy another car soon.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Toyota headlamp circuits are notoriously complex and non-intuitive. You will probably not get out of this one without at least a wiring diagram specific to the car, and more likely a trip to a competent auto electrician who can diagnose and repair the faulty circuit.

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
Here's a diagram, doesn't look too complicated, the headlight switch grounds the coil on the headlight relay which sends power to the low beam and the high beam bulbs, just the low beams are grounded at the left front fender, probably a common ground spot with other grounds going to it also. when you turn on the highs the headlight switch itself provides a ground to the high beam bulbs and the ground is behind the left kick plate panel. First and easy thing to do would be to locate these grounds and remove and clean them then retest, but if the harness was "fried" you may have some bigger problems than just a dirty ground

Last edited: