Cree 60W A19 changes

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Home Depot to pick up some more standard and TW Cree A19 60W LED bulbs, and find that at a least the standard (not 4 flow) no longer has the tacky globe surface, and the packaging is simplified. Not sure of any other differences. Anyone know why?

BTW, the Seattle Light subsidized price at HD is $5.97 for the standard soft white 60W and the TW version is $7.97.

markr6

Flashaholic
My HD had the new packaging quite some time ago, but I still noticed the sticky coating (at least as of 3 weeks ago).

They did also get rid of all the TW bulbs. Clearance for something like $5! I'm stuck ordering them online which is OK, but no more convenient returns to the store when they fail.

Another strange thing is the TW bulbs I purchased did NOT have the bluish coating, but still a nice high CRI.

Not sure what's going on.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I examined them more carefully now.

The standard soft white 60W here no longer has the tacky finish, but all other specs seem the same - 800l, 2700K, 79mA/9.5W. The packaging no longer unfolds, it's a single card with the same 2 piece clamshell, but I found 2 styles of packaging with the clamshell either on the left or right. The globe is smooth on the outside, but when you tap it, it is well damped, as if well coated inside with think "frosting" or perhaps not even glass. I think what I can see of the interior LED tower looks different.

The new TW 60W has the same specs as the old - 800l, 93CRI, 13.5W/112mA - and still has the tacky outer coating. But, as you say, they are no longer blue, and the packaging no longer says, "The breakthrough innovation in the Cree TW Series is spectral notching with neodymium oxide optics, augmenting LED light quality to show colors that are true and natural." My guess is that they figured it was cheaper to put higher CRI LEDs in, and ditch the glass filter. Now it's harder to tell them at a glance, you must look for the larger heatsink, or read the higher wattage/current on the top lettering.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HD had the new packaging quite some time ago, but I still noticed the sticky coating (at least as of 3 weeks ago).

They did also get rid of all the TW bulbs. Clearance for something like $5! I'm stuck ordering them online which is OK, but no more convenient returns to the store when they fail.

Another strange thing is the TW bulbs I purchased did NOT have the bluish coating, but still a nice high CRI.

Not sure what's going on.

5 bucks? Dang! Get them while you can. I have 2, but payed a lot more than that.

markr6

Flashaholic
5 bucks? Dang! Get them while you can. I have 2, but payed a lot more than that.

Yeah unfortunately there were only 6 40w bulbs left. Two packages were all beat up and re-taped so I passed on those. Only picked up 2 of them because I just don't need many 40w. Only one HD store in town, so that was it for me. I'm pretty much set on LEDs until they come out with a 75 or 100w TW.

mds82

Enlightened
i noticed the same thing that they are getting rid of all the TW Series ones and only stocking the EcoSmart version of these lights. I just picked up 11 of the 6" down lights since they are so hard to find now.