Is the kroll clickie switch all we've got?

XtremePyro

Newly Enlightened
Is the kroll clickie switch all we\'ve got?

Ive been reading this forum religiously ever since I found it a couple months ago. There for a while I though I was the only person who wanted to make new flashlights on their lathe.
Boy was I wrong. But now that I also have a mill and have gotten fairly decent on the lathe, Ive started working on some of the ideas that have been churning in my head.
So my question is, Is the kroll clickie switch the only commercially availible tailswitch that us "made from scratchers" have in our arsenal? I know Ive seen mention of a ram switch in various threads but it didnt sound too impressive. Dont get me wrong the kroll sounds great, but if we wanted something a little differnt for a project is there anything else availible, or do we have to engineer our own?
Thanks for the help,

Tim

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is the kroll clickie switch all we\'ve got?

I don't know about the availability, but YCLO's switches that he used for "E-series clickie" in the non-lotch tailcap are very good.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Xpyro,
If you are in the U.S., Fry's Electronics usually sells the Ram for about $5. If you can find any at Fry's..buy two of them. Why? 2 reasons:

1) Their Quality Control isn't always great. (chances good that you will wind up with at least 1 good one).
2) The Ram is a great tailswitch, because of it's sensitivity.
3) Is more compact than the Kroll switch -the red "on" button is recessed slightly to prevent activation in the pocket.
The weak spot of the Ram switch is it's timid spring tension. -Discussed on another thread is a remedy for that problem.

Also, my own Ram switch was causing flickering of my MadMax-which I will NOT tolerate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif (!!!), so I shot some De-Oxit-under very high pressure -with the thin red tube that comes with most spraycan contact cleaners, and problem cleared up instantly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone come up with a 2 stage clickie for the SF A2?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been wondering if someone with the skill and tools could put one of the many little tiny electronics switches into the space inside the HEAD of a Mag or other light. There are tiny toggle and DIP switches in the catalogs.

One thing I really like about the large Mag lights and the Dorcy is the rubber-covered button right on ths side where it's easy to turn the thing on and off.

And it's the smaller lights where I most want to be switching it on and off (on to cross the street, off to walk down the block, on to stand at the corner so the nitw, er, drivers notice I'm not a phone pole, on to cross the street ...

Any kind of little button or toggle on the side of the head of a Mag AA sized light would be very welcome.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Craftsman makes a Mag AA clone that already has the rubber side button.
I've seen it on other Mag AA clones as well.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened

Whydon't you build a good one we all could use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have seen the craftsman version. not a bad looking light.

seems a bit long (even my shorter brinkmann barely fits into my cargo pockets, mag with kroll fits even better).

anyone know the actual length?

Bob