Storacell

Thread: WWII Navy Battle Lantern

Hybrid View

Default WWII Navy Battle Lantern

Just aquired one of the grey WWII Navy Battle Lanterns. Does anyone know what type batteries they used and the voltage? Looks like from the connectors inside that the batteries had screw posts on them.

Flashaholic

Default Re: WWII Navy Battle Lantern

Larry1582,
    These lights used the #6 battery. It's the tall, round, 1.5 volt kind with the screw terminals. Used to use them to start gas-powered model airplanes. Radio Shack can special order the old-style carbon-zinc kind for about $15 each, I believe. You'll need 2 of them plus the jumper wire to connect them in series. Or you can try www.ralphselectronics.com for Eveready EN6 (the alkaline version). They are about $13 each, plus freight. These have a 46,000 mAh capacity which will power your lantern for about 2 days straight.
    Kirk

anyone know the bulb number?
    there is no number on the bulb in mine.
    i dont think mine ever saw duty as it looks like new and the battery retainer is wrapped in early 40's dayton newspaper.made by grether mfg dayton oh.

The one I bought has the jumper wire and the battery nuts. This one has a bulb, but I can't read a number. I would assume that it is a 3 volt bulb? Thanks Kirk!

Flashaholic

Snakebite,
    My lantern uses a #1491 dual contact bayonet base bulb. The bulb is 2.4 volts and I think .50 amps. Check out http://www.topbulb.com/search/results.asp?REF=110 . They have stock and the cost is $3.11 each. Good luck. You could also try to use a 2 "D" battery holder if you just want a "demo" light to show your friends.
    Kirk

Mine has a screw in or threaded base bulb.

Unenlightened

If anyone is still looking for a bulb, my father "somehow" ended up with one of these after his tour. He always said that a standard vw bug (original, I don't know about the new bugs) headlight would work.

Unenlightened

I have an old grey battle lantern. I have been told it is from ww2. I recently sand blasted it, powder coated, and replaced all the gaskets and screws. No it is no longer "stock" but I love the look and wanted to USE IT! I live in a tent for 3 months of the year and this lamp would just fit in PERFECTLY. I would really like to put a halogen bulb and rechargeable battery in it. Anybody try this yet? The picture shows where I am right now...notice no switch or bulb yet...Attached is a picture of my project so far.....

jimklaas@gmail.com

Project so far...

Please email me with suggestions and or thoughts.

Unenlightened

I am looking for suggestions for bulbs and rechargeable batteries, I would really like to upgrade to halogen and 12v rechargeable.

http://gallery.me.com/columbiariver#100416

email me:jimklaas@gmail.com

http://gallery.me.com/columbiariver#100416

I picked up one of these today at a auction for $20, I almost got it for $5 but there is always one person who screws you up. We used these in coast guard boot camp and they still have them in the motor life boats. I just had to have it. Its a little beat up and needs batteries.

Last edited by DM51; 03-09-2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: move pic to new line

Unenlightened

Default I have one just like this!! Super Tough!! Great Quality!!

I was wondering what kind of light I had. I picked it up at a yard sale really cheap. It looks exactly the same,yellow in color. It's way more beat up though. It does not matter, this bad boy is built to lsat. It's built like a Battle Ship! I did not know if it would work or not, so I went to the Family Dollar to buy the batteries. They were only 1 or 2 dollars each compared to God knows how much for the Duracells! It lit up like a charm! I did not need a bulb, it just needed a good cleaning! It's been over a year and the lights still working. The bulb is not to bright though. I am disabled and whealchair bound, so I use a lot of different headlights. This thing is really heavy but it's really nice also. I was thinkinig about putting it on Ebay because it's so heavy. I was thinking about replacing it with the newer led lights. NO WAY NOW!!!! I am so glad I did some investigating and found out more about this. Thanks a lot guys for taking plenty of good photos!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    I picked up one of these today at a auction for $20, I almost got it for $5 but there is always one person who screws you up. We used these in coast guard boot camp and they still have them in the motor life boats. I just had to have it. Its a little beat up and needs batteries.

Default Re: I have one just like this!! Super Tough!! Great Quality!!

I paid $20 for mine, $8 for batteries, $11 for a bulb. So I have about $40 into it. The bulb that was in it looks fine but someplace in it the current wasnt going through. A LED lamp for it is over $60 so I said the heck with that.

I just put mine on a scale its 7lb 2.5 ounces. Im sure with better batteries it would be about 8 pounds. It doesnt look bright but take it out in the dark and you see far.

When I was in boot camp and we had to do training where there was a explosion or something bad like that. We had to rush into a ship, really it was a building but it was pitch black with smoke and crazy noise and flashing lights. We had to find a body and locate all their wounds and bandage them up then drag them out.

Each group had a bag of medical supplies and one of these lanterns. I remember seeing those goofy yellow boxes on the floor thinking is that a light? That is so cool, I wish I had one of those. I think I even got yelled at because I was more interested in the light then the dieing plastic guy on the floor.

Welcome GUMBOMASTER!

If anyone is interested in obtaining one of the older model gray metal Navy Battle Lantern, there are several listed on ebay.

More info on Navy Battle Lanterns may be found in the thread under "Collectors" entitled "MY ANTIQUE ELECTRIC LANTERN AND FLASHLIGHT COLLECTION (MANY PICS)" by Captain Smiley. Another source of info is www.flashlightmuseum.com.

Also, there is a thread "A SHORT HISTORY OF THE DELTA MANUFACTURING COMPANY" by Kirk.
    Last edited by Boudreaux; 03-27-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: additional information
    "NASA Houston, We've got a problem, do you copy?"
    "Roger, Apollo 13, we copy. Shut down power and use your flashlights for light."

Enlightened

I have one of these yellow battle lanterns and access to some CNC equipment. I want to convert it over to some high power LEDs (XM-L U2?) for both super bright searchlight duty and long run emergency use. I'd love to use something like the module in the Nitecore TM11. I'd also love to put an external power input jack on the back with a switch as I have some 24vdc 100AH SLAs that I could plug it into. You could also run it off a 12v power jack in a car. I figure I could use one of these http://www.western-robotics.com/hercules-BEC-HC_hp.html to drop up to 45vdc down to something the driver could use. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
    Fenix TK35, Surefire U2 Ultra, Arc AAA-P, MiniMag AA LED