Review: Olight M2X-UT Javelot (custom XM-L2, 1x 18650/2x CR123, 1020 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
28ksv35.jpg
e8sx3l.jpg

One of Olight latest releases, is the M2X-UT Javelot. The M2X looks a lot like the Olight M3X but utilizes a smaller body. Running on 1x 18650 or 2x CR123 batteries, the M2X-UT has a max of 1020 lumens,
and has a max throw of 810 meters. That are quite impressive numbers for a light, this size :)
What causes this light to throws that well, is shown later in this review ;)

The packaging:

140ax5j.jpg
5nrcyg.jpg

2lzynq.jpg

The M2X-UT comes in a nice sturdy plastic presentation case. Specially handy when you've to store or transport the light :)
Foam insert prevents your light being scratched up.
Inside you'll find: The M2X-UT, holster, lanyard, CR123 battery magazine, two spare o-rings, Olight leaflet and the manual.

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

• Three brightness levels from 20 to 1020 lumens, controlled by a mode selector built into the head
  • Large reflector focuses beam to reach out over 2600 feet
  • Customized CREE XM-L2 LED with a smooth reflector creates a tightly-focused beam to maximize throw
  • Multi-function clicky tailcap switch with momentary activation and on/off, along with quick access to the brightest level and the blinding strobe mode
  • Automatically return to your last brightness level with the built in memory function easily changed via a mode selector built into the head
  • Aircraft-grade aluminum body with anti-scratch Milspec Type III hard anodizing
  • Reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation and thermal management to avoid overheating
2po6x42.png

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

23m3i9w.jpg

2q3vdcl.jpg

iemkw2.jpg
20arimw.jpg

The M2X-UT comes with a decent quality holster. The body of the holster has a stiff-insert which prevents the holster to compress. The holster closes with a metal press stud.
With the velcro on the back, it's easy to attach it to your belt or backpack. On top, there is also a plastic D-ring. The open-bottom lets the light stick-out slightly. Although Olight
doesn't mention it as official accessories for the M2X, there is a optional extender available, which lets you run 2x 18650 batteries in the M2X-UT. Pictures of this extender in post below this review.

2046b.jpg
vfed6s.jpg

357j3o3.jpg
24ccmc7.jpg

s0wxes.jpg
2ijp2cy.jpg

The M2X-UT shares the same looks as the M3X, but uses a smaller body. Although it's only a 1x 18650/2x CR123 body, it's still large enough to be comfortable in the hand.
The rear-clicky is easy to reach with your thumb, and switching modes is done by loosen and tightening the head. This operate does require two hands. The 'tactical' grip ring
is not threaded but is held in place with a o-ring underneath.

This brings us to the user interface or UI,

User Interface:

To turn the light On, press and click the switch at the rear. Press half-way for momentary. From Off, half press for Low, press half twice for High and press half three times for a Strobe.
It's possible to select for example the Strobe from Off. Just half press three times and while it is in Strobe, press the switch completely so you hear it click.
When On, loosen and tighten the head to switch between Low > Med > High. The M2X-UT has a mode memory for the constant output modes.

2e0ob5l.jpg
vo3ou8.jpg

The two springs at both ends, absorbs any shocks. It also lets you use flat-top batteries. The springs are quite firm, which prevents bad battery contact.
Laser engraving on the body is nicely done. Threads are well machined and came well lubed out of the box. A manual lock-out is possible by twisting the tailcap a quarter turn.

2rnvw1x.jpg

119c51w.jpg
72f768.jpg

Now let takes a look, what causes this light to throw that far.

35179cz.jpg

x3eeqd.jpg

A large deep smooth reflector with a good centered custom dedomed led, let's the M2X-UT throw that far :D

2j3ftdz.png

I'm not sure if Olight did the dedoming their self, or if they received the leds without the dome from Cree. If it's done by hand, than my sample is a job well done :)
Without the dome, the led has a more green (sometimes yellow-ish) tint. You'll notice this indoors or shining on a white surface. Outdoors I didn't notice the green-ish tint.

2i6m8t1.jpg
8wgjkz.jpg

Head or tail-stand is possible, without being wobbly. The crenelated bezel, while head standing, lets light protrude so you know it's turned-on.

10qxrx0.jpg
11ajvp5.jpg

34r9f9t.jpg
rb0cps.jpg

Size comparison:

2cn6txi.jpg
ao5q82.jpg

abl8w8.jpg

(From L to R: Eagletac 18650, Olight M2X-UT, Olight SR52vn, Fenix TK35UE, Fenix TK61)

Output and intensity specs of the M2X-UT and TK61 are very close. Although both are very similar, there is a large difference in size between both.

igjgop.jpg
vnebzl.jpg

1zwi7uc.jpg

Indoor Beamshots:
ISO400, 1/100 sec, f/4.0 - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.25m / Camera 0.75m away from wall. Eagletac 18650 batteries were used.

2hfhn53.jpg
2vxqg01.jpg
2u6dbbl.jpg

14221908492404144.gif

Fenix TK61:

2jeqr1v.jpg
143lydf.jpg
65y06o.jpg
11186pz.jpg

14221910852532868.gif

14221914342709789.gif
14221915282760276.gif

Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, 2.5 sec, f/5 - High mode (TK61 in Turbo mode) Path about 40 meters deep.

2mza2rr.jpg
sv1chy.jpg

Conclusion:

Olight did a very nice job on creating a small but powerful flashlight. I can see this light being used among a variety of users, who need a light that lights-up an object far away.
The custom dedomed led gives it a green-ish tint, which you will notice indoors. Outdoors my eyes didn't catch the green tint. UI is plain simple but requires a two hand operation.
Fit and finish are great, as you would expect from Olight. With a price-point of around $/€109.95 it's a great contender. Specially the smaller size makes it a preferable light for many.

M2X-UT Javelot was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks for this nice review! You've got a big Olight collection too :)

Will purchase a light like this one too, maybe the M3X-UT :popcorn:

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for this nice review! You've got a big Olight collection too :)

Will purchase a light like this one too, maybe the M3X-UT :popcorn:

Olight showed the M3XS-UT at Shot Show, last week. Should have even more power, with 1200 lumens. Thought I heard Olight say, that light would hit the 1000m mark. :)

RemcoM

Enlightened
Olight showed the M3XS-UT at Shot Show, last week. Should have even more power, with 1200 lumens. Thought I heard Olight say, that light would hit the 1000m mark. :)

Nice review kj2,

I want one....where you buyed it? Still have to wait here in Netherlands.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing that it has TK61 performance (definitely not run time). It makes me wonder if Fenix will respond by releasing a TK61-UT with a dedomed XM-L2 as well. I'm sure that's been done already in the forums, but what would the intensity on that be in a TK61 dedomed? Surely a laser. I feel like Fenix has to answer this light and maybe more specifically the M3XS-UT. Maybe much later in 2015 there will be more Fenix updates.

Are there any neutral tint XM-L2 dedomes being done? I wonder what that would look like in the TK61 and if the tint would shift that much.

Are you going to review the M3XS-UT as well kj2?

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
So what are the negatives of dedoming an led? Does it drop its lifespan considerably?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes me wonder if Fenix will respond by releasing a TK61-UT with a dedomed XM-L2 as well. I'm sure that's been done already in the forums, but what would the intensity on that be in a TK61 dedomed?

Are there any neutral tint XM-L2 dedomes being done? I wonder what that would look like in the TK61 and if the tint would shift that much.

Are you going to review the M3XS-UT as well kj2?

Vinh54 does a TK61 modification using dedomed XM-L2-U2 and XM-L2-U3 led's. The problem is that dedoming alone doesn't make a huge difference in throw without doing a current boost.

I don't think I'm talking out of school, but the Vinh light runs $330 for the highest out put version of the TK61vn, mod 3.5.

I'd say that Fenix will probably be using one of the new Cree LEDs which have a claimed 2000 plus lumens. Fenix selling thousands of lights won't take a chance on doing a large current boost on the XM-L2 LED as long as they have to warranty the light for three to five years, which means the new led is coming.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Most likely they would put that XPH...something something led into it that basically has the XM-L2 footprint. Either that or I still am rooting for a MT-G2 TK61 :)

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice review kj2,

I want one....where you buyed it? Still have to wait here in Netherlands.
Currently on the website of ledscherp dot nl.
Seem they're expecting it to arrive, so I recommend you contact them.

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened
Possibly. Depends on if Olight and/or distributor provides a sample :)

Whats the difference in brightness....hotspot, and intensity, between the M2X Javelot, and your Fenix TK61, and your Olight SR52vn?

kj2

Flashaholic
Whats the difference in brightness....hotspot, and intensity, between the M2X Javelot, and your Fenix TK61, and your Olight SR52vn?

The difference between my M2X-UT sample and my SR52vn, isn't that big. I've the PDT-c led Vinh offers, but without the dome on the led you get a greenish tint. Same with the M2X-UT. The hotspot of my SR52vn is slightly brighter but has the same size.

My TK61 has a really white color beam and hotspot. It's also intenser compared with my M2X-UT and my SR52vn.

My SR52vn has more lumens than the M2X-UT and TK61.

kj2

Flashaholic
Received a extension tube, that I ordered for the M2X-UT. This will allow you to run 2x 18650 in the light. You do have to remove the 'tactical' grip ring.

11v16b8.jpg
wivvc7.jpg

2le7al5.jpg
209m6nm.jpg

Although the M2X-UT should be able to run 2x 18650, Olight hasn't shown this extender as optional accessories. Therefor, as long Olight doesn't mention it as optional, I don't recommend using 2x 18650 in this light.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Was about to order the extension tube for mu M2X-UT until I read this. How come you're not recommending this light to run on 2x18650 when in fact its operating voltage is up to 8.4 VDC?