Best light under $200

ImagioX1

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys newb here. So I had a walmart xml 750 lumens and the dome on the bulb started melting off. Maybe it was overdriven or something but anyway Im looking to replace it now. I got a budget of about $200 and am looking to get the brightest and further throwing light I can. I dont want a really floody light like a lot of the triple XML's are but Im looking for something with decent throw that still has enough spill to be usefull for lighting up a decent size area and not being a hotspot with no spill. I was about to order the Thrunite TN32 but they are out of stock on it and I dont know when its coming back. I had also looked at the new Jetbeam WL-S4 and was about to order it until I found out it only comes in warm white color temp. Im looking for something in the 5-6k kelvin range. If anyone has some suggestions I sure do appreciate it.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with the lights you refer to nor do I know its Kelvin range, so I apologize if this isn't remotely what you're looking for, but the Fenix TK41 is an 8xAA thrower that is absolutely awesome and offers the performance that you're asking for; take a look!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
am looking to get the brightest and further throwing light I can

Olight Javelot is rumored to be the current throw king in an off-the shelf LED handheld. It's within your budget. Above and beyond this you'd be looking at a weird custom (like CPF legend Vinh) or perhaps carbon-arc lights.

A Vinh may be in your budget (there's a price range,) but carbon arc will most likely break your stated budget.

Even stock unmodified, the Fenix TK41 as above mentioned is quite respectable, there is debate that the Javelot has a slight edge in throw. Both are really, really good lights.

ImagioX1

Newly Enlightened
TK41 is a great light( my brother has one) but Im looking for something a little brighter. Both the Jetbeam and the Thrunite are over the 1700 lumen threshold. Maybe modded lights are what Im looking for. Ill check out Vinhs lights and see what he has that I can afford.

ImagioX1

Newly Enlightened
Contacted Thrunite and they said the TN32 should be in stock sometime at the beginning of February so I think Ill stick to me original choice. Thanks guys.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImagioX1, check out the Fenix TK75, or the Acebeam K40M. Both lights will give you great throw, and a huge amount of spill too. The Thrunite TN32 is a nice light, and certainly gives you excellent throw, but very little spill in comparison, and a lot less total lumen output also.

ImagioX1

Newly Enlightened
ImagioX1, check out the Fenix TK75, or the Acebeam K40M. Both lights will give you great throw, and a huge amount of spill too. The Thrunite TN32 is a nice light, and certainly gives you excellent throw, but very little spill in comparison, and a lot less total lumen output also.

The Acebeam certainly looks like a great light but its using the MT-G2 emitter which come only in the neutral tints. I have mutiple HID lights at 4300k but Ive never had an LED in that kelvin range. All of my lights have been in the cool white range. Whats your opinion on those neutral tints? Do you like them better than the cool white lights?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Acebeam certainly looks like a great light but its using the MT-G2 emitter which come only in the neutral tints. I have mutiple HID lights at 4300k but Ive never had an LED in that kelvin range. All of my lights have been in the cool white range. Whats your opinion on those neutral tints? Do you like them better than the cool white lights?

I'm generally a fan of cool white, but I have one (5000k) MT-G2 light, and I really like it. I use it most often for night hiking, and it does work very well for that...a pleasing tint, and color rendition is definitely better than with a typical cool white XM-L2.

ImagioX1

Newly Enlightened
I'm generally a fan of cool white, but I have one (5000k) MT-G2 light, and I really like it. I use it most often for night hiking, and it does work very well for that...a pleasing tint, and color rendition is definitely better than with a typical cool white XM-L2.

Well thanks for your suggestion. Is that the MT-G2 light you have?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks for your suggestion. Is that the MT-G2 light you have?

Nope, my MT-G2 light is a Niwalker MM15vn. Not at all what you are looking for...almost pure flood. 7000+ lumens out of two MT-G2 emitters, and it still doesn't have an effective range of more than a hundred yards or so in practice. A lot of fun, though, and a very effective hand warmer on turbo.

ven

Flashaholic
I will throw the sr52vn in,great light,around 250kcd and useful spill. Eats 3x18650 cells,has a built in usb charger and a compact size too.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386321-SR52vn-Another-Must-Have-Thrower

The PDTc option i recommend as you want 5-6k:)

Another option again on the acebeam/supbeam front,the k40vn
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-K40vn-Thrower-(New-Batch)-150-No-Box-Option

Added bonus of a vinh light,beefed up internals and 2nd to none customer service;)

Good luck:)

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
I have the TN32 and for a stock light I think you would be very pleased. Enough flood that you won't confuse it with a laser beam but throw is definitely it's strength.

ImagioX1

Newly Enlightened
Nope, my MT-G2 light is a Niwalker MM15vn. Not at all what you are looking for...almost pure flood. 7000+ lumens out of two MT-G2 emitters, and it still doesn't have an effective range of more than a hundred yards or so in practice. A lot of fun, though, and a very effective hand warmer on turbo.
I want one of these flood lights lights too. Hmmm maybe two lights are in order.

I have the TN32 and for a stock light I think you would be very pleased. Enough flood that you won't confuse it with a laser beam but throw is definitely it's strength.
I think that definitely solidifies my choice for the TN32 as I dont know if I can stand the neutral white color. I think Im gonna purchase another light thats a pure flood light for cases when the TN32 may possibly be too much of a spot light.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always go for the neutral or warm led's. Way better outdoors. The lightbulbs in your house is prob neutral or warm , so i think you will be fine with neutral tint.

fcbrian

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and getting my feet wet with multi-cell lights in the last few weeks. I try to put quality and value and functionality into my purchases. That usually means I research something so long that I lose interest!:sigh:

But seriously, if you want to break your budget by $33 (not including batteries/charger) . I just purchased a k40m (power/flood) (new, from hongkong,8days) and a TK61(thrower) (new,US) . Both for $233 to my door. (separate purchases, $100,$133)

Good Luck, lot's of choices.

P.S I wanted a TN32, but after the fact , I am very happy with my choices.

Brian

fcbrian

Newly Enlightened
Good call, man! Bet you're going to love those lights.

Yep. I'm coming from quality single 1650 tac lights .

Got the K40M on Monday. My "back yard" is partly my 300 yard rifle range, 200 yards wide with very sparse trees, snow covered target berms, then woods.

My wife keeps sayin ," what are you looking for out there at night all of a sudden??" :D "just checkin " (at first "she said holy shxx wth you got now!")

Tk61 here Tuesday.:drool:I'm stoked.

I know you guys have all the crazy mod-lights that make these lights look like candles but ....it's all relative!

Cheers