Fenix Outfitters        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: Need New Server Host

  1. #1
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Help Need New Server Host

    I just found out that our server host, GoDaddy, has a new commercial out. CLICK HERE to read about it. I will NOT do business with a company that thinks something like this is "ok". I have three dedicated servers and two shopping carts with them. I am looking to move them all. I know a lot of you have preferences and even work for alternate hosts. I don't want this to turn into some kind of PC vs. Mac or iPhone vs. Android debate. But I would like some ideas that I can look into and decide for myself.

    And... I encourage anyone who does business with GoDaddy to STOP! As someone who rescues dogs off of CraigsList and adopts dogs who are abused, neglected and abandoned, this is absolutely disgusting to me.

  2. #2
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    So I guess they've pulled the ad with the comment "What should have been a fun and funny ad clearly missed the mark and we will not air it. Too late. The fact they considered it at all and spent the money to have it made, etc. clearly indicates a total lack of ... I dunno... awareness?!?!? I'm still taking my business elsewhere.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    1&1

    I've been using them for roughly 10 years now. Never had downtime, never lost any of my content, never had a problem logging in. I don't have anywhere near the traffic this place has but I know of one forum that constantly was hit with DDoS attacks (because the owner is questionable) but once he switched to 1&1, no one was able to bring the forum down again.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* KITROBASKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    2,951

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    The end of the commercial ends with a harsh phrase, "Ship him off" or something like that, and then a van door closes with what looks like a sign for a puppy mill. The lady says she had sold the puppy who had been missing until just then? Wouldn't that be illegal? Selling a product that was not in your possession? Grim. Glad you will soon stop giving them money. GoDaddy needs to donate a huge amount of money toward animal rescue.


    CandlePowerForums App

  5. #5
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    ...The lady says she had sold the puppy who had been missing until just then? Wouldn't that be illegal? Selling a product that was not in your possession? ...
    Wow. I didn't even think of that.. but yup! Fraud. And my husband pointed out something too - did you happen to notice the person driving the van in the end?

    Looks like the video is being pulled from YouTube. So any link to the YouTube video is no good now. I found it somewhere else though.

    Let's see if this will work...

    http://bcove.me/8ro3k8tz
    Last edited by Greta; 01-27-2015 at 07:36 PM.

  6. #6
    Beamhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    gone "Squatchin" :p
    Posts
    4,087

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Found it and they are in deep doo doo, I always thought their ads where stupid but this was a new low. As for the van driver I think she is over rated.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* KITROBASKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    2,951

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Wow. I didn't even think of that.. but yup! Fraud. And my husband pointed out something too - did you happen to notice the person driving the van in the end?

    http://bcove.me/8ro3k8tz
    Yeah, and she had a pretty grim look on her face.



    CandlePowerForums App

  8. #8
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    The last time I heard about a new server, you were considering ipower.
    The ad seems horrible.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    For 3 dedicated servers it may be worth hiring someone to work out the architecture and recommend a platform based on suitability. I (and I think many others, judging by the occasional comments about it) notice that the site frequently won't respond, responds slowly, or is down for maintenance. I think that last one is due to a scheduled DB backup that runs about midnight EST, from what I can tell.

    Dedicated servers are expensive, so getting this right could save some money and/or significantly improve performance. Getting it wrong could be a disaster.

    And yes, GoDaddy are terrible in every sense. Nobody should be helping them stay in business by giving them money. They are one of the cheapest though (albeit with lots of hidden charges) so expect fees to go up not down.

    Most of my experience is with Rackspace. Excellent, but you get what you pay for as they are not cheap. Haven't used 1&1 but have heard they are pretty solid, so I'd put them on the shortlist. Cloud (Rackspace or AWS) might be an option but you really need an architect to go that route, it'll mean more (virtual) servers at a lower cost each, with the ability to scale up or down as needed, but there are major downsides because the VMs run on shared host servers, which can cause performance issues. That's on top of all the reconfiguration that would need to be done to get it working in the first place.

    If you haven't already done so you should be looking at hosting static assets (images etc) on a CDN. This reduces the load on the servers and makes the site a lot faster, especially internationally where the latency to your servers may be quite high.

    In any case, you're looking at a fairly extensive process of stress-testing the new environment if you want it to work properly, and migrating over all the data isn't trivial either. Definitely would recommend getting professional assistance to design, plan & execute the migration.

    For projects that size, Rackspace will assign you a BDC and infrastructure architect for free to consult on what you need. Other good hosting companies may do the same. However, it's worth remembering that it's in their interest to sell you more than you need. In my experience Rackspace don't really do that, but they do tend to prefer certain standard configurations that may not be optimal either for cost or performance. Also they will not help with the software architecture or migration work for free and their professional services arm is typically more expensive than just hiring a freelancer, who will be independent. Of course you also need to make sure they know what they are doing...

  10. #10
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkFlashlights01 View Post
    The last time I heard about a new server, you were considering ipower.
    The ad seems horrible.
    Huh?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    USA based, I suggest Softlayer. Had a very good experience with them for years.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Huh?
    From 2008.

  13. #13
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkFlashlights01 View Post
    From 2008.
    What does that have to do with this? And why not tell everyone what your banned username is?

  14. #14
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    What does that have to do with this? And why not tell everyone what your banned username is?
    You mean **DONOTDELETE**?

  15. #15
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,882

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    What does that have to do with this? And why not tell everyone what your banned username is?

  16. #16
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Im confused...

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    I agree the advertisement is bad...it certainly isn't GoDaddy's first awful commercial, though. Glad you are moving on.

    On the practical side, I hope the "server is too busy" messages will go away with a new host. With luck (and some advice), maybe you can finally find a host that ticks all the right boxes.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    I have only read the description, but it sounded like a lazy commercial, And horrible for dog lovers.

  19. #19
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thedoc007 View Post
    I agree the advertisement is bad...it certainly isn't GoDaddy's first awful commercial, though. Glad you are moving on.

    On the practical side, I hope the "server is too busy" messages will go away with a new host. With luck (and some advice), maybe you can finally find a host that ticks all the right boxes.
    The "server too busy" is a throttle. It happens almost exclusively in the middle of the night (my time) - which is when the back ups are done... and when the spammers from China, Russia, Singapore, and many other places overseas hit this site and hit it HARD! Once upon a time, they would crash the server with the traffic they hit us with. Now... they only cause the throttle to kick in for a few minutes to spit them out. It is a very small price to pay.

    I'll be honest... during the hours of about 4AM - 10PM my time, I think I've gotten the "server too busy" message maybe a half dozen times... EVER. And I doubt there is anyone who spends more time on here than I do.

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* tandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thedoc007 View Post
    I agree the advertisement is bad...it certainly isn't GoDaddy's first awful commercial, though.
    Indeed. They don't have a very good track record in treating women with respect either.

  21. #21
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    The "server too busy" is a throttle. It happens almost exclusively in the middle of the night (my time) - which is when the back ups are done... and when the spammers from China, Russia, Singapore, and many other places overseas hit this site and hit it HARD! Once upon a time, they would crash the server with the traffic they hit us with. Now... they only cause the throttle to kick in for a few minutes to spit them out. It is a very small price to pay.

    I'll be honest... during the hours of about 4AM - 10PM my time, I think I've gotten the "server too busy" message maybe a half dozen times... EVER. And I doubt there is anyone who spends more time on here than I do.
    Oh No! Why are there so many spammers?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkFlashlights01 View Post
    Oh No! Why are there so many spammers?
    Spammers will always target sites running common software like vBulletin, because they are easy to spam, relatively speaking. Mostly they are running botnets so it doesn't really cost them anything and the result can be a bit like a DDOS attack, although if that were their intention the site would be down considerably more.

    Services like CloudFlare include anti-DDOS features which help to alleviate some of the strain on the main servers, in addition to the CDN facilities which also help make everything faster.

  23. #23
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    I hope cpf can install Anti-Spammer software.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkFlashlights01 View Post
    I hope cpf can install Anti-Spammer software.
    The fact that none (or at least very little) ever makes it onto the forums should say something. Sounds like more could be done to lower the stress on the servers though.

  25. #25
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by robert.t View Post
    The fact that none (or at least very little) ever makes it onto the forums should say something. Sounds like more could be done to lower the stress on the servers though.
    The stress reduction software (Or a hardware upgrade) would make the server speed and longevity go up. How much would it cost?

  26. #26
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkFlashlights01 View Post
    How much would it cost?
    Are you offering to pay for it?

  27. #27
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Not right now... Would it cost $1000?

  28. #28

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkFlashlights01 View Post
    Not right now... Would it cost $1000?
    Hosting costs are ongoing - monthly or annual fees. Colocation may involve an up-front server cost with slightly lower ongoing costs, but most people don't do that because it's a lot of hassle (you need a full-time sysadmin or your servers will get hacked, repeatedly). So it's generally best to think in terms of $/month.

    CloudFlare's business tier (which comes with DDOS protection as well as the usual CDN stuff) costs $200/month/site, which isn't huge compared to dedicated server costs, but still a decent chunk of cash. They have cheaper tiers as well but they wouldn't help as much in this case (the free tier is great for blogs and things that are mostly static content; it's less useful for forums, though not entirely useless). There are other CDNs as well but they are mostly more expensive. Akamai won't even talk to you unless you drive a dump truck full of money up to their offices.

  29. #29
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by robert.t View Post
    Hosting costs are ongoing - monthly or annual fees. Colocation may involve an up-front server cost with slightly lower ongoing costs, but most people don't do that because it's a lot of hassle (you need a full-time sysadmin or your servers will get hacked, repeatedly). So it's generally best to think in terms of $/month.

    CloudFlare's business tier (which comes with DDOS protection as well as the usual CDN stuff) costs $200/month/site, which isn't huge compared to dedicated server costs, but still a decent chunk of cash. They have cheaper tiers as well but they wouldn't help as much in this case (the free tier is great for blogs and things that are mostly static content; it's less useful for forums, though not entirely useless). There are other CDNs as well but they are mostly more expensive. Akamai won't even talk to you unless you drive a dump truck full of money up to their offices.
    So... Akamai wants $1000000000 dollars?

  30. #30
    Administrator Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    15,491

    Default Re: Need New Server Host

    Quote Originally Posted by thinkFlashlights01 View Post
    So... Akamai wants $1000000000 dollars?
    Aaaannddd.... that'll do. You've been banned a couple times already for basically just being a troll. Enough now. Please go play somewhere else...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •