Angryfox        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need New Server Host

Default Re: Need New Server Host

Microsoft Azure hosting is excellent.

Godaddy has been on my excrement list since SOPA. Rackspace and Amazon AWS are both high quality service from all I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    Godaddy has been on my excrement list since SOPA. Rackspace and Amazon AWS are both high quality service from all I've seen.
    I wouldn't touch anything Amazon, you never know what they're going to do or when they're going to change their fine print.

https://torrentfreak.com/amazon-pull...istmas-131216/

I'm guessing you got things switched over today? I noticed the favicon is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Municipality View Post
    I'm guessing you got things switched over today? I noticed the favicon is missing.
    No, not switched yet. But all is ready to go now when the time comes. I'll fix the favicon.

sounds like a decision has already been made, but I was going to suggest finding out what provider other "big boards" use.

TheAdminZone has several big board owners that could be asked.

after the successful move, if it's ok to say, I would be interested in hearing who you chose and why

My personal website is hosted on a Linode VPS. I'm on the 2GB plan and have been very, very happy with it. Not posting an affiliate link as I don't want to spam, but if you're interested, just PM me.

Yes, I share your disdain of GoDaddy. Never tried it, but the fact they supported SOPA/PIPA until they backed down under pressure gave me a sour taste.

Be sure to evaluate all of your options before switching. DigitalOcean has a very good reputation as well, but I'd prefer Linode for their 10+ years of experience. Rackspace would also be a great choice if scalability and reliability matter more than cost.

—DragonLord
    Last edited by DragonLord; 02-15-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    Nitecore MH20, SRT7GT, Tube – Fenix LD20
    Reviews: SRT7 (SRT7GT comparison) – LD20

Quote Originally Posted by The Municipality View Post
    I wouldn't touch anything Amazon, you never know what they're going to do or when they're going to change their fine print.

https://torrentfreak.com/amazon-pull...istmas-131216/
    that's Disney's doing. Amazon can't tell Disney no. Problem?

Greta: a few of my friends in the past have used Softlayer before and enjoyed it. I do believe Softlayer was founded by former execs from ThePlanet.

edit: if you haven't already, check around at WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Default Need New Server Host

I try hosting this myself when possible these days. However, people I know who build and maintain web apps and sites seem to think quite highly of Amazon and Rackspace. Macminicolo also keeps popping up and I've been curious to try them out.

As for switching registrars- I switched from godaddy (SOPA related) to enom and have been quite happy- out of sight, out of mind! Think I have four or five domains registered with them now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12