18650 replacement litthium ion cells for impact drill

bolts

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to replace 18650 lithium ion cells on my impact wrench so I need high draw capacity cell... say close to a 20 Ah discharge rate

Any ideas where one could acquire suitable cells... and what cells would be suitable for that matter would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone here done something like this?

TIA

John

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I'd be careful here. Most of these packs have capacitive discharge welded tabs to connect the batteries. Be cautious if you're considering soldering the new batteries. The heat could damage the battery or worse cause it to "vent with flame" as the literature often reads. Probably not worth it.

What brand is the tool? Are replacement packs unavailable?

IMR cells are another variety of lithium ion rechargeable battery that offer higher discharge current capability but typically lower capacity.

Last edited:

bolts

Newly Enlightened
It's a Canadian Tire tool and replacement packs are unavailable.

Would the same charger be able to charge IMR cells?

onetrickpony

Enlightened
The same charger should work, just make sure you get the wiring EXACTLY as it was or you'll mess up the balancing/monitoring of the cells. Please be careful if you choose to proceed, my honest suggestion would be to buy a new impact wrench :(

bolts

Newly Enlightened
Well im looking at upwards of $60 to make 2 packs which is more than I paid for the tool over 6 years ago.

I got a super deal on clearance, it was $220 regular price back then iirc.

The wiring is pretty simple the batteries are in series and the leads go through the boards so no worries there at all if I can get a hold of tabbed cells.

My only concern at this point is the cost. :(

For only a few dollars more I can invest in a kit and also have the option to expand and I already want a Milwaukee hackzall so I will have to consider my options.

Thanks!

John

onetrickpony

Enlightened
No problem, I've had good luck with DeWalt, many guys I've worked with are Milwaukee fans for good reason. I just didn't want to switch out all of my cordless nail guns.

The hackzall is a cool little tool!

I don't think you'd regret buying the kit, but good luck whatever you choose to do.

Aaron

bolts

Newly Enlightened
I was a deWalt guy for the longest time since they had a walk in store here in montreal so warranty was a breeze.

I got a deal on Milwaukees I just couldn't pass up tho so when my NiCad dewalt set crapped out I got the Milwaukee drill and imact and then I got a super deal on the Milwaukee brushless set of drill, impact and circular saw so I sold the brushed version and got that.

No regrets so far...

The only thing that I wasn't too keen on was the horror stories of Milwaukee not backing the warranty claims..

onetrickpony

Enlightened
If you're running Milwaukee cordless tools I think it's a no-brainer to get the matching impact. It just sucks when they change to a new battery format and your tools don't fit. The batteries almost always wear out before the tools.

bolts

Newly Enlightened
I already have the 18 volt milwaukee impact I just wanted to get my more portable one back in action.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
That's interesting, what's more portable about it? I know there are 1/4" drive impact drivers and 1/2", is the one you have smaller in size physically or just that it has its own case? Confused.

I like to break up my tools into bags or tool boxes based on what they are typically used for and the power source. Carpentry is my main game, so I have several bags for that along with table saw, miter saw, etc. On the side I have a plumbing toolbox, electrical bag, most of the mechanics and machining stuff stays at home.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an impact wrench you ideally need an 18v or better version which you fortunately have.Your cheapest way is to buy a new wrench complete with batteries.To keep the cost down a 3/8 drive 14.4v wrench would come in at under a £100 in UK money fully warranted with two batteries.

bolts

Newly Enlightened
I wanted one to have in my tool pack it's not really necessary and atm I have a cordless screwdriver which is light and the main reason I would replace it with a 10.8 volt impact.

The thing I don't like about the cordless screwdriver is the bits don't lock in place and it's really annoying to work with it.

Looking into Milwaukee now so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for deals on a set, usually get a much better deal than buying individual.