The USB rechargeable craze

The Municipality

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about you guys but I love this new feature that's popping up. No more worrying about using the wrong charger and no more multiple chargers in the first place. Save for multi-cell lights and custom low-production pieces, I'm not sure I'll ever buy another light that doesn't have a charger built in.

scout24

Flashaholic
Agreed it's a great feature, I'll be more accepting of it when it works with regular RCR batteries. Being able to pop my own AW 18650/123/14500 into something and plug it in will be great. Small stuff like the Tube seems cool though.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I was totally impressed with the Nitecore MH25 came out. 960 lumens with micro USB charging. Still a go to light for me

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does seem pretty cool. I haven't bought one of them yet though because I have such a supply of other lights at this point. It seems to be a super convenient setup though.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like these lights myself.

The quality of the charging circuit is always in question in these models. Cheap charging circuits can be hard on cells and dangerous. Plus, from a safety standpoint, charging an extremely volatile lithium based cell in a sealed metal tube is a very bad idea if you ask me. Basically, you now have a pipe bomb(depending on design) with a random fuse running in your house anytime you are charging. Its like playing russian roulette and just asking for an accident/incident if you ask me.

I will take the extra 5 seconds to remove the cells from my flashlights and charge them in a proven high quality charger in a safe area myself.

Last edited:

chazz

Enlightened

The quality of the charging circuit is always in question in these models. Cheap charging circuits can be hard on cells and dangerous. Plus, from a safety standpoint, charging an extremely volatile lithium based cell in a sealed metal tube is a very bad idea if you ask me. Basically, you now have a pipe bomb(depending on design) with a random fuse running in your house anytime you are charging. Its like playing russian roulette and just asking for an accident/incident if you ask me.

I will take the extra 5 seconds to remove the cells from my flashlights and charge them in a proven high quality charger in a safe area myself.

You bring up a good point there.

The other thing is, with all this added complexity, how durable will these really be? Are the electronics potted? (guessing probably not on most of them)

Should be interesting... I agree, there are times when this would be convenient, but I think I will pass on them. At least for now.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I started thinking about your original post and almost bought a Fenix UC35. Two things stopped me: my almost identical PD35 has only been out of the box for a week. And, I already don't use rechargeables because I have such low usage I question my ability to keep them cycling properly. If I start noticing enough battery usage to justify going to 18650s, I'll get a good charger instead of charging in the light, because that opens me up to using them in a variety of lights, rather than just the one with the built-in charger.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bring up a good point there.
The other thing is, with all this added complexity, how durable will these really be? Are the electronics potted? (guessing probably not on most of them)Should be interesting... I agree, there are times when this would be convenient, but I think I will pass on them. At least for now.

My favorite charger is USB. I hook it to whatever lithium ion I want. $20. Problem solved. It fits in a matchbox.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the usb charging standard is ok, a good idea to standardize all the possible pulgs and so
good for cellular phones, electrical gimmicks and so (like those blinky lights to snap onto bike, and possible similar thingys)

but:
for SERIOS business, it "features" 2 major disadvantages:
* charging time / charging current (come on, if I really have to explain that, then stay with Your gimmicks) ;)
* gadget can not be used while being charged

so for a high powered light (and that is at least 1*18650 already) it is not the ideal idea ...
;)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I can sort of see the point if this is for someone for whom it's going to be their only light and they don't want to muck about with separate cells / chargers etc.

But that doesn't apply to most of us here. For anyone with several lights then having the charging built in means you are buying multiple chargers (one in each light), and perhaps getting tied in to proprietary cells / formats etc. Adds to the complexity of the light, and to keep the cost of the whole package competitive means that the charging components will be designed down to a price - plus all the other disadvantages mentioned.

I'd rather have a separate high-quality charger and choose/manage my own cells.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
the usb charging standard is ok, a good idea to standardize all the possible pulgs and so
good for cellular phones, electrical gimmicks and so (like those blinky lights to snap onto bike, and possible similar thingys)

but:
for SERIOS business, it "features" 2 major disadvantages:
* charging time / charging current (come on, if I really have to explain that, then stay with Your gimmicks) ;)
* gadget can not be used while being charged

so for a high powered light (and that is at least 1*18650 already) it is not the ideal idea ...
;)

Well, about no1: Typical USB chargers deliver 2A at 5V. Even if you use just a linear regulator, thats way faster than, for example, my i4 even if I fill all of its bays.

carrot

Flashaholic
I like it. The lights that I run the longest, most often, are now USB rechargeable. It is convenient, and lets me plug my light in while I drive. Managing batteries has never been a strong suit of mine, but I can remember to plug in a few things.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here we go another bogey man scare tactic,my car is fitted with a usb socket as standard and the correct plug purchased enables me to charge my ipad/android and led lights.

Pipe bomb my ****.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go another bogey man scare tactic,my car is fitted with a usb socket as standard and the correct plug purchased enables me to charge my ipad/android and led lights.

Pipe bomb my ****.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/97-149/

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?340028-Flashlight-Explosion

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396117-Solarforce-Explosion

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=132932

I can post more examples and I didnt even post any of the ones that brought planes down, burned peoples garages and houses down, and killed people. Lithium battery safety is no joke man. Most incidents with lithium cells happen while charging. Almost all manufacturers of batteries recommend charging lithium based cells in a safe place(away from flammable things exc.) and to never leave unattended while charging. Some lithium chemistries are more safe then others but, they all have the potential for issues and or catastrophic failure. It is there nature(chemistry). Some lithium chemistries will immediately burst into flames if the cell wall is even slightly punctured.

Flashlights differ from most other devices because they are generally of a much stronger build and sealed(sometimes excessively) to prevent water incursion. This can trap any gasses released when a cell vents or in extreme cases catastrophically fails and due to the strong body construction can cause an explosion. Even other devices that contain lithium based cells can be dangerous(cell phones, ipads, tablets, exc.) but generally just cause fires without the added explosion risk. There have been many incidents due to unattended charging of these devices as well.

The point is that although these may be convenient, they are definitely not the safest option for charging nor likely the best at maintaining cell health.

Also, if you are charging your devices in your car unattended, you are asking for trouble. Especially on hot summer days as lithium cells dont like heat, especially while charging. Even leaving them in a hot car can permanently damage them. In a worst case scenario your car becomes a water logged burnt pile:eek:

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you are charging your devices in your car unattended, you are asking for trouble. Especially on hot summer days as lithium cells dont like heat, especially while charging. Even leaving them in a hot car can permanently damage them. In a worst case scenario your car becomes a water logged burnt pile:eek:

Yes, but since mcnair has never seen an alkaline battery leak, nor does he know anyone that has ever had a leaking alkaline, we can safely state that mcnair is the luckiest person alive. I don't think he has to be the least bit concerned about lithiums blowing up on him.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but since mcnair has never seen an alkaline battery leak, nor does he know anyone that has ever had a leaking alkaline, we can safely state that mcnair is the luckiest person alive. I don't think he has to be the least bit concerned about lithiums blowing up on him.

:crackup:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but it also requires all charging to be done in a sealed vessel and we've established that's not good for lions. Most batteries out-gas during high drain and charging. NiMH maybe, sure.

The User has always been the source of most of the problems. A few billion of ANY device out in the wild and someone's going to figure out how to hurt themselves with it.

Hate to say it, but I'm going to have to go with Mcnair on the bogeyman stories. We use propane for heating and cooking. For the most part, you're not walking down the street seeing house after house explode...