Need a flashlight for electrical work

Felandro

Newly Enlightened
Need one that's durable, will probably be dropped. Would like it to be moderately bright but I would prefer distance (throw I believe it's called?) over amount of brightness as I would need to trace wires over distances as well it's for dark boxes or T-Bar ceilings would prefer a . Must have options to hang, be magnetic or have a stand maybe even different angles so that I can position it different ways when I am working and wiring things up. If it is a bigger project we'd just get company supplied lights this is for more compact areas and everyday work not installing panels or anything. Would like it to be LED and have rechargeable batteries itself, or be able to get them. I live in Canada so quality rechargeable batteries above AA and AAA don't seem to exist for a reasonable price. If you need anymore information let me know.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just a thought . . . .

a Headlamp would easily keep both hands FREE to work.

and it would " automatically " point where you are looking !
< wink >

Good Luck in your search.

:welcome:
_

Felandro

Newly Enlightened
I have one, doesn't quite help when I am looking at what I am working on and my hands block the light. I need to place it at different angles.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good automotive light would be my suggestion,the better ones have a hanging hook and a magnet plus cradle charging on the better ones.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, doesn't quite help when I am looking at what I am working on and my hands block the light. I need to place it at different angles.

An angle headlamp might work for you. Zebralight, Spark, ArmyTek make these lights. All you have to do is attach some magnets to the clip and you are good to go.

Here are some pictures of my Zebralight angle headlamps.
Upload3_zps2f9180e4.jpg

Upload5_zps78d9a968.jpg

Upload4_zps2a62f900.jpg

soul347

Newly Enlightened
What I'd probably do in this case is use a headlamp that leans toward the floody side for close up work with both hands free, then if I need throw, I'd have a separate handheld flashlight.

In this case I highly recommend the Armytek Wizard Pro headlamp. The new one has a magnet in the tailcap so you can angle it on different metal surfaces. It uses a single 18650 battery easily purchased on ebay and a nitecore charger for cheap. This will give great output and long runtimes. It is more floody with no hotspot so it isn't harsh on the eyes for close up work, yet can throw for up to 100m. It also comes with a lanyard if you want to hang it up. I really prefer the warm tint over the cool white tint, but that is up to your personal preference.

If you want to add a handheld flashlight for added throw, I use the nitecore p12. Very light and compact, but really packs a lot of power and can throw as far as you'd ever need it to on the job. It can also tail stand, has various modes, comes with a holster. Also uses a single 18650.

braddy

Enlightened
A Nitecore HC50 headlamp might cover most of your needs, it is very bright and adjustable so it should have enough light that your hands don't block it when you are working, and it has the head straps to hang it on things if you want, and the 565 lumens should reach out far enough that you can follow the path of wires and conduit. You could also try a Fenix PD35 and a Nitcore head band (no light included) so that you can carry the PD35 on your belt as your EDC and also put it in the headband, if you need.

Both lights take a 18650 battery but you can order a couple of those, or 3 or 4, and always have fresh, charged batteries for work and a car charger for them.

Norm

Retired Administrator
smooth2o your post has been deleted for the following reasons.

Posts containg Links have been Removed, Please see the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited:

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these:

DCL040_zpsa854afcc.jpg

It's really great, you can tilt the head and it has a hook to hang from. The Li-ion battery holds the charge for 6 months or more and lasts forever. I hate picking up a tool only to find it doesn't work. They have both 1.5 and 4AH batteries you can use. It's bright and has a spot as well as a flood beam, I'd say somewhere in the 800 lumen range. You can also add a clip for the side to hang it on your belt. The clip is pretty big, so it would work well with a Neodymium magnet which you could epoxy on the clip. You can get them on-line anywhere, like Home Depot or Tyler Tool.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth2o hits it out of the park!

Dewalt, Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee all sell lights that use their lithium ion battery packs. They aren't the most feature filled lights, but provide the ability to use a battery which you currently own cutting down on the amount of equipment you have to carry. The other plus is very fast recharges, usually less than an hour.

I've got both the Milwaukee M12 and M18 series LED lights, and for doing the wiring runs and panel work in my shop worked very well.

The headlamp by Led Lenser being adjustable for focus and position also helped.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Streamlight Knucklehead Spot either the AA or rechargeable (which can be fed AA or eneloops AAs) get a spare battery cartridge too makes life easier. checks almost all the boxes can be mounted (magnet/clip) strong magnet too, adjustable head 360 degree/ good throw/made for work use. it's a modern version of the old Bell Tel LIghtStick. mine is used Daily tough light

slippyfox

Newly Enlightened
It's bright and has a spot as well as a flood beam

Wait...I'm at work right now so I can't check...but there is a way to make it more of a flood? This is a really solid (and long lasting) light, but I've never been a huge fan of how tight the spotlight is.

slippyfox

Newly Enlightened
Wait...I'm at work right now so I can't check...but there is a way to make it more of a flood? This is a really solid (and long lasting) light, but I've never been a huge fan of how tight the spotlight is.

Alright, I messed with it last night, don't see any way to make it more flood than spot (other than distance, lol). Manual doesn't shed any light either.

Hah. Shed any light. Hahaaa...

Alright I'll see myself out.

dss_777

Enlightened

A common solution is to place a layer of diffusing film over the lens. Not sure of what the brand names are, but you could test it out with a layer of any plastic you have around. I've used those sheet protectors you get from office supply stores since they're a matte consistency. If it works, look for the more permanent solution.