Olight S30 Baton review (1000 lm,XM-L2,18650/2xRCR123A)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greetings.

This review will be dedicated to the most powerful from the compact Baton series flashlights, the S30.
For a start a little note, I did not make a mistake in the name of the flashlight - there is another almost similar flashlight, the Olight S30R - that comes with USB charging capabilities and a battery - it is not the model that I will be reviewing today.

Tech.Specs (from one of the stores that already started selling the light, at the moment of the review publication there is no information about the flashlight available on official Olight site)

LED: CREE XM-L2
Output / Runtime:
Turbo: 1000 Lumens / 1 Hour
High: 600 Lumens / 2 Hours
Medium: 100 Lumens / 10 hours
Low: 20 Lumens / 26 Hours
Lowest: 1 Lumen / 720 Hours
Note: Light drops down to 60% after 5 minutes of continuous use in turbo mode
Beam Distance: 160 Meters
Peak Beam Intensity: 6400cd
Dimensions:
Length: 119mm
Diameter: 25mm
Runs on 2 x CR123A or 1 x 18650 (not included)

Features:
1000 Lumen LED output
Low profile side switch
Battery power indicator on side switch
Thermal management safety programming
Glow in the dark o-ring in bezel
Tempered glass lens with anti-reflective coating
Five brightness levels + strobe mode
Built-in memory function
Flat tailcap with strong magnet
Crafted from 6061-T6 aluminum alloy
Type III hard anodized
Shock proof battery contact springs
IPX-8 Waterproof
1.5 Meter impact resistant

Package includes (with original packaging):
Olight Flashlight
Replacement O-ring
Battery magazine
Removable pocket clip
User's manual

What is special about this flashlight?

Traditional high Olight quality, a very compact sized flashlight with impressive output, strong magnet at the tail and moonlight mode. We see a strong competitor in the Thrunite TN12 2014, Fenix PD35, Nitecore P12 league, but in much more compact body.

Shall we begin?

iBUMskKitx9ep.png
iYmW4URv6csxK.png
inCc05prEW7z6.png

The flashlight comes in a transparent plastic box similar to other recent Baton series flashlights.

ibsIF2BSezvzhI.png
ibetSIiZYEbqBy.png
iFlw1jGsVLNrb.png
iKHHvWTLbqfO0.png

Besides the flashlight itself the package consists of user manual (more about it later), spare o-rings, commercial booklet of other new Olight models, holder for two CR123A batteries and a spacer that can be used instead of the strong magnet at the tail of the flashlight.

iDj4EtcDQeD6c.png

Here is the user manual. Here we can see that the operating instructions are a little different from the usual Olight Baton series (3 clicks for strobe instead of 2) and the massive step-down.

ibiNJX1spNmg2e.png
iwQuElEIBuuoA.png

Here is our hero. The flashlight is very nice to the touch, the matte anodizing is still out of reach of cheap flashlights (convoy etc).

iwQx5NXD4WCTC.png
ibuc5mOSXPno0W.png
i8WrKZJ9yxCdC.png

The flashlight stands perfectly steady in candle mode. The magnet holds the flashlight very firm against metal surface. The LED is perfectly centered, no dust or other imperfections were found on/under the glass.
The button is very nice, will not be pressed accidentally as it does not protrude. The clip helps greatly to find the button in the dark. There is light collecting and emitting o-ring around the lens.

iPTTamktmS7al.png
ibm04vPgxH8NuM.png

Another difference from Olight S10R/S15R/S20R is that the flashlight can be disassembled into 3 parts, and not two like other Batons. The threads are anodized from both sides - not a frequent solution.
The spring at the tail-cap can be removed for installing the plastic cup instead of the magnet.

ib01AAV7LSOH0o.png
irZHqudkE1kXq.png
ibhPkkdwT2fwMb.png

There is also a spring in the head - it will allow the usage of flat-headed batteries and absorb shocks. The threads are square-cut, well lubricated. The moonlight mode is there, at 1 lumen. Note the Olight logo under the spring in the head :) .

i0srhGjvYQwA.png
iPwUnACEO95HA.png
ipiRXWx6mvom.png
ibfLVCww67sbD4.png

Here are some pictures im my medium-small hand and comparison with Olight S20R and Thrunite TN12-2014. The flashlight has a size much more similar to the S20R than to the Thrunite.

iFKehWrqbo60e.png

The reflector is larger and deeper than S20R has.

i0AB6mb7t69I2.png
i3onXkCl1QuS5.png

But the reflector has less diameter and depth than the Thrunite.

iGlOhHbW04YPm.png

S20R on the left, S30 on the right

iCWWfvJ2R2YVK.png

S30 on the left, Thrunite on the right

iPkF6OzDpB2q4.png
iwAgxbGFySg5S.png

S20/S30 are much more compact than the Thrunite

Some numbers

Flashlight/ModeLowMidMediumHighTurbo
Olight S301220612545000
Olight S20R5287403600
Thrunite TN 12 2014 (1050 lm)21452670750010000
Nitecore P12 (950 lm)8480-19838950

As we can see the Thrunite outthrows the compact Olights mecause of the larger reflector. But in the close distance the Olight is super floody with the high output and small reflector.

Let's see it in action

izNiEhEJCKOvl.png
iqBJVF13oQ7O6.png
iUu5ic1cAap1c.png
i2Cy2ZIqMOUlE.png

A lot of light, a very floody flashlight indeed. I think it can be used with bicycle too.

Summary

A good flashlight. If you always wanted a Baton series flashlight but was not impressed with the lumen count S30 is a great option.

I'd like to thank Olight for providing me the sample for review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions? Suggestions? I will be happy to assist. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review. Like the Olight logo underneath the spring and the 'not for sale' engraving on it :D

tadbik

Enlightened
I like this light. I keep it by my bed. It didn't make my tactical light rota for a few reasons. If Olight made the changes it would be suitable; 1) button is near impossible to find with gloves on. 2) no lanyard connection point. 3) bigger head for more throw. 4) holster included.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Align pocket clip with side switch button for an easy to find with gloves on.

I like this light. I keep it by my bed. It didn't make my tactical light rota for a few reasons. If Olight made the changes it would be suitable; 1) button is near impossible to find with gloves on. 2) no lanyard connection point. 3) bigger head for more throw. 4) holster included.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

RBWNY

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I have one on the way! I believe it'll be a fine addition to the other Baton's I already own, S10, S15 (titanium) & S25.

British Agent

Newly Enlightened
I just got one of these, it's been really great!

I should've gotten nicer 18650's though, the DEWorld ones I got from radio shack are only 2000mah.

The DEWorld charger should do the nice Panasonic 18650 so I might pick up one of those.

The S30 rocks though.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting little light. To bad the run time on turbo is so short. The magnet in the tail is a new one. Still if I am going to go for a light this small in the 1000 lumen class Ill keep my Zebralight SC600 MkII L2. Im sure this light with a 3400mah cell would be a better light. Thanks for the review

SteveCA

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for a few weeks now and it is a great light. The user interface is the best among my EDC's as it can be started in moonlight mode, has mode memory and easy access to turbo and strobe modes. I really like the fact that the strobe mode is not on the cycle as you hold down the button. my previous EDC is the 4sevens quark AA which is great except for the lack of mode memory and the annoying strobe mode being part of the cycle. This S30 has replaced my quark despite being a bit longer. The runtimes on decent 18650's is a big plus as battery capacity is no longer an issue (compared to my 4sevens quark AA).

The only knock on this light are artifacts in the hot spot and a yellow tint in the darkened hot spot. This is only apparent when shinned on a white wall and not noticeable in real world use.

All in all, a great EDC light!

RBWNY

Enlightened
Yes, after using this for a few days I'm pretty pleased as well. However, I've found it on in my pocket a couple of times. Activated lock-mode after that. Then, it seems that after it's been on high for a few minutes...and gotten warm, the button ceases to "click" when changing modes. It still works, but has no audible click. After it has cooled off, the click is back! Weird. Also, could moonlight be more than 1 lumen? To me, it doesn't seem all that different from low. It's lower than low...but not as low as moonlight is on other lights I have.

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. Just curious. I got myself this new S30 Baton, reading the review the sample can be disassembled into 3. Mine i can only remove the tail. Whats thw difference and which one is "newer"?

viperxp

Enlightened
Hi all. Just curious. I got myself this new S30 Baton, reading the review the sample can be disassembled into 3. Mine i can only remove the tail. Whats thw difference and which one is "newer"?

I'd say yours....

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
Great review!! I read it *after* ordering one for myself and find it to be a great light. A little heavy and long for EDC, so my S10 still is my main pocket EDC. If I were to find a good holster for the S30, it would be my main EDC, any suggestions? I like the mode selection, but agree that the side switch is a little hard to find and lacks the tactile feel of the ever so slightly convex switch on my S10. The S30 has a much better tint than my slightly green tint of my S10. I primarily use Tennergy 3.0v cells in most of my lights, but once I find a good 18650, AW would by my first choice, I wouldn't use my trustfires 18650 in the S30. I limit their use to a cheap asian P60 knock off light that stays in the glove box in the car, serving as my last back up to my main back up light for car roadside tasks, etc. Thanks again viperxp for a very well written review!!

cheers, greg

jw2n

Newly Enlightened
Can you use 16340s in it. Olight does not list them as being compatable with the S30 but they are listed for the S30R. I have also read reviews on other sites that the reviewer lists 16340s and 18350s as compatable, but I do not know where they get their info. I would not want to fry the light by pushing 8.4 volts thru it.

Highbandwidth

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up the titanium version and the instructions say 18650 and CR123 primaries only. I'm not taking a chance with the 16340's even though more output would be fun (not needed, but more is better right?). Also, mine is clearly built in three pieces, but the head can't be unscrewed by hand. You can see it's a separate piece, but seems threadlocked on. The emitter is a pretty neutral color - not the warm of a Nichia 219 - not as blue as several of my other XML lights. Slightly warmer than an XML "neutral white" from Eagtac (D25C ti). I'm pretty happy with it, especially the size (same length as a Streamlight Protac 2L) and interface side button with memory. My first side button and first Olight ... now I feel an urge to buy the S10 baton in titanium to replace my EDC Eagtac D25C's. Can anyone tell me how the S10 compares size-wise to the D25C? The single CR123 size seems better suited to the Olight side button than the Eagtac rear clicky. And the magnet would be especially handy on the smaller S10 (works great but unsure I'll ever use it on the S30). Anyway, in summary, fit and finish is fantastic on the S30 ti, output is great, color is great, the pocket clip is the only thing I'd change if I could (may just remove it - it is clever in that the light is designed so removal won't scratch the titanium finish).