The E01 48 Hour Challenge

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who's in? Here's the deal - it's been done before, but let's do it again...with all the discussion of the 'new' E01, Scout24 and I were thinking that it might be fun to challenge members to use nothing but an E01 for 48 hours.

This is hard for me! I am enamored with my various HDS lights - the 325, 140 Nichia 219A and my rotary tactical 250.

But I'm gonna do it. Starting RIGHT NOW (3:41 PM Central Time) NOTHING but an E01 for the next 48 hours.

Who's with me?

:eek: :D

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm in Dan! Brand new blue E01s, just arrived today, one is in my pocket now. :rock:

I have the other new one started on a runtime test in my closet. Haha.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in as well. Just grabbed a brand new olive\natural out of the mailbox and popped in an Eneloop :twothumbs

braddy

Enlightened
I just put barely used alkalines (good through 2016 so pretty old) in my 3 E01s, one very old version, and two 13 lumen ones, from the last couple of years, and started a run time test.

My results won't be very useful to you guys and I won't have beam shots, but I didn't want to totally run down any of my Nimh batteries.

As far as using only the E01, for 48 hours, that is easy for me.

nbp

Flashaholic
Awesome. Welcome aboard. IIRC, this idea was yours originally?

Yup, Carrot gave us the 5mm Challenge way back when, along with the Incan Challenge, the Headlamp Challenge and the 250+ Lumen Challenge. So many good memories. :)

scout24

Flashaholic
One of my requirements is an ultra-low for getting ready for work in the morning. Found that a generic clicky button fits perfectly. I know the chapstick diffuser trick, but this may work for me...

IMG_0214.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome scout! What clicky are you using?? I use the Chapstick diffuser but always up for trying something new. Some black electrical tape around the sides of the Chapstick cap gives me a nice super low.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

dabluestuff

Newly Enlightened
I already do carry mainly an E01! But sometimes I also use my sunwayman m11r in conjunction. But the E01 is with me every single day. And I'm new to this forum, long time user of edc forums so I decided to come here too!

scout24

Flashaholic
Gurdygurds- One of many generic switch boots that have arrived here over the years... Fits my McG lights and probably some Surefires. Wish I had a name for you...

dabluestuff- Welcome aboard! A bunch of EDCForums folks frequent here.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
No sweat. Thanks anyway!
Gurdygurds- One of many generic switch boots that have arrived here over the years... Fits my McG lights and probably some Surefires. Wish I had a name for you...

dabluestuff- Welcome aboard! A bunch of EDCForums folks frequent here.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in! As of lately, this will mean no HDS 170N, E35UE, or LD01. Just my trusty E01. :cool:

Cool - welcome. Yeah, I've been enjoying swapping off between 3 HDS - 325, 140 (Nichia 219A) and 250 tactical rotary, but I can do without them for a couple of days.

This morning I walked the pup and navigated the kitchen with the E01. While it wasn't like using my HDS 325, it got the job done!

I aim the light at a fixture directly above and it provides enough light for me to navigate the kitchen... :)

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Going along with this challenge reminded me of the way we used flashlights when I joined CPF. Lights like the E01 (well actually, the Arc-AAA) were popular because they were simply cheaper to run and provided enough light for mundane tasks.

You used them to save the batteries in your powerful incandescent, which would probably run 60 minutes for 60 lumens. Rechargeables weren't as commonplace, and if you did, you probably got 30 minutes at 90 lumens. LEDs were not really all that much better, where they would run about the same amount of time, but have a looooong usable tail. Having more than one mode was rare, with the HDS U60 and L2 and A2 being the cream of the crop.

Of course, all that changed when lights like the Fenix L1P came around. One mode, one LED, one AA, and the bad old days before LSD NiMH.

N_N_R

Enlightened
And I missed the beginning of that, lol. I could've participated. Or why not, I may do it a bit later :D:D:D

Just... are we allowed to change the battery in our E01 ? :D Or one light, one battery?

I got my supposedly new one today, too :)