The Beta QR HCRI testing.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello

has anyone actually tested the beta QR 219a HCRI on a sphere, and checked what the actual HCRI was?.
Prometheus lights state it's around 90.7 according to the picture in the link here;

http://www.darksucks.com/store_BetaQR.html

They also state typical CRI is 93 in their LED's.
maybe that is correct or just marketing the HCRI - because I read that the higher the amp, the higher the CRI is.

ok, so these qr's run on AAA, so this is a low amperage.
I wondered how would this reach impressive 90.7, when some other lights driven at 1 amp+ reaches 85 to 88 cri and are in the neutral category, And near 2amp+ then you can get very good around over 90 then its HCRI.

is this correct?.
would these be neutral rather than HCRI then really?.
is the 93 just a guide?.
could someone test their QR on a sphere and see?.

Confusing, because to me these lights look the part of HCRI!. Everything pops vibrant colours!.

I hope that makes sense because my head hurts!,...and as always, Jason Hui's lights are still the best!!!!.
thanks.

Last edited:

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
I have the copper and just got the brass. Goto kickstarter and lookup scout hook bottle opener. The light was sold as a combo deal with the hook but could be bought separately. The brass has a new quick disconnect that uses a spring. Good engineering on that. I really like the light

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back to the questions raised:-

No wonder you're having a headache...

has anyone actually tested the beta QR 219a HCRI on a sphere, and checked what the actual HCRI was?.

CRI cannot be obtained from an Integrating Sphere. :p

would these be neutral rather than HCRI then really?.

CCT & CRI are not the same.

ok, so these qr's run on AAA, so this is a low amperage.

Not true.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I did write to Jason on this so let's see too.
its just confusing that someone tells me that the higher the amp , the higher the cri is raised.
the QR been AAA I thought was so low, the cri must be low like 80 or so.
thought it would be more neutral than HCRI and HCRI was what I wanted.

Thanks

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I did write to Jason on this so let's see too.
its just confusing that someone tells me that the higher the amp , the higher the cri is raised.
the QR been AAA I thought was so low, the cri must be low like 80 or so.
thought it would be more neutral than HCRI and HCRI was what I wanted.

Thanks

my understanding is that he's using PWM to control the light levels so is a number of rapid full voltage pulses so the CRI stays higher than a current controlled lower voltage set-up.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks,

so would this Also mean in order to keep that high cri in say an 18650 at 90+, would PWM need to be present to do that, or could CC do that too?.

i have a thrunite t10 AA with a 219a hcri but that's not got PWM, so that means cri is lower because PWM is not there?.

big thanks!.

my understanding is that he's using PWM to control the light levels so is a number of rapid full voltage pulses so the CRI stays higher than a current controlled lower voltage set-up.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think so from my 7 years of researching flashlight info but I don't know with certainty.

I do know that there's tint shift with a CC light at lower lumen levels that a PWM light doesn't exhibit or its tint shift is far less.