xpg2 to xpl v5?

kikoy

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Please share some infos or ideas. i have an old cygolite dualcross bike light which i still use but with an xpg2 r5 upgrade. is it possible if i upgrade it with an xml v5 led. I read that the xpl's are much brighter.

Thanks in advance!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Please share some infos or ideas. i have an old cygolite dualcross bike light which i still use but with an xpg2 r5 upgrade. is it possible if i upgrade it with an xml v5 led. I read that the xpl's are much brighter.

Thanks in advance!
I think you'd benefit from reading up on emitters.

The XP-L is essentially an XM-L2 dye on an XP-G2 footprint. This means the XP-L will fit XP-G sized holes in reflectors and has other non flashlight benefits to do with physical sizing.

But the XP-L performs in terms of beam profile and output almost 100% the same as the XM-L2.

The result of this is if you want more flood or throw.

A smaller LED in the same size reflector will equal more throw, e.g.

4" reflector with an XP-G2 will throw further than an XM-L2 (assuming equal everything else).

And XP-L is = to XM-L2

Smaller LED's give a smaller more intense hotspot and duller spill beam as the trade off, i.e. less lumens.

But think of lumens like torque is with cars. It's how it is used is the more important.

Therefore a Ferrari with relatively low torque can still make way more horse power than a diesel saloon car does, even if the diesel does make more torque.

A10K

Newly Enlightened
In fact, at least in some cases the XP-L throws WORSE than the XM-L2 (at least with TIR optics):
http://www.carclo-optics.com/optic-10048

Here is Carclo's data page on its 26.5 clear/narrow optic (I use these on my lights).
With the XP-G2, it can ideally produce 37 cd/lm (candela is equivalent to lux measured at 1 meter, the standard of flashlight brightness/throw measurement), the XM-L2 generates 19.6 and the XP-L 14.3, less than half. Even factoring in the increased brightness at a given drive level, the XP-L will have a substantially wider beam (Carclo used to also give efficiency as a percentage but no longer does so).

So, the XP-Ls will be more luminous, but not strictly speaking brighter​.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreeing with what most have wrote. I'll ad my $0.02 from experiences with modding.

XP-L has more luminous flux than XP-G2.
Beam profile is closer to XM-L2 than XP-G2.
The XP-L die is a little thicker than the XP-G2 die, but the same as the XM-L2. This means that it will focus is most applications where it would be replacing the XM-L2, but I've found it will only work in some direct XP-G2 replacement scenarios. It doesn't focus well in every single reflector. The V10R XP-G is an example of where the focus is pretty awful, but if you use it in a V10R Ti+ XML model the focus is quite nice. It does focus well in a LF2XT, HDS, D11.2, EX11.2, Carclo Narrow Triple optic (if properly bored for the lens).

So YMMV with upgrading your bike light. At the end of the day you may get more light, but likely the same or less throw than the XP-G2.