Malkoff        

Thread: MarketPlace on CPF

Question MarketPlace on CPF

So here's my thought -

I would like to set up a general MarketPlace here on CPF again. This would mean that CPFMarketPlace would eventually be put into a read-only archive state. The "rules" of the MarketPlace would be the same as they are on CPFMarketPlace with regards to a Manufacturers Corner and a Dealers Corner. There would still not be any advertising allowed in the general forums here. Member B/S/T forums would pretty much be the same with the same policies and procedures and I am looking into perhaps expanding categories more into the EDC realm. I met some really neat people with some great products at SHOT Show that I would love to have on CPF.

For those concerned about more clutter on the Main Index page, this would not be an issue as the MarketPlace would be organized so as to be a separate area within the Main Forum. I'm looking into an interesting option that may end up working out really well for us.

I'm also looking into a different mobile app for us. This Tapatalk one is frankly a PITA and I'm tired of trying to deal with the idiots who supposedly run it. It would be MUCH easier for all of us if we only had one app to deal with rather than a separate app for each site.

Some of "cons" of doing this -

Current MP threads CANNOT be moved over to CPF. This means new threads will have to be started on CPF. There will be a considerable "overlap" period where you will be able to finish up threads on the MP and/or link to new thread(s) on CPF. And of course links to threads at the MP for reference will be allowed as well. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Fees for selling in any B/S/T forums may or may not be implemented. I'm not sure yet about that. As I said, I'm looking into an interesting option that may work out well for everyone in that area.

I honestly can't think of anything else that may be a downside to this. So now... wondering what all of you think of this idea...

Default Re: MarketPlace on CPF

That's a great idea, Greta.
    Would be nice to see everything on the front page.

Consolidation is the way of the future! Sounds like a solid plan. I never used the TapTalk here. Used it elsewhere and deleted it. I was never impressed with it. But it is better than nothing.

I don't do much selling, but do a fair amount of buying. As a buyer, I wouldn't like to see fees. These would ultimately be passed on to the buyer in on way or another.

Will you add our post totals? Seriously, sometimes I find a seller who has very few marketplace posts selling, but has beaucoup sound posts on CPF. Kinda throws the weak-minded like me off sometimes.

Anyways, good luck on The Great MarketPlace Merge of 2015.

I love the idea, except adding fees. But worst case, even if you did decide to add fees with the consolidation, I'd still prefer you go ahead with it. Definitely better to have them combined. I never really understood the distinction anyway, since there are B/S/T threads in CPF proper already.

Sounds good; the expanded EDC items as well.

Just wondering if it would be less expensive, relatively less complicated to make CPF on the old (current) server eventually become read only and starting a fresh CPF with a different company, giving us members the option of bringing some of the old threads to the new server somehow. Those members who want to put in the time and effort to migrate content from the old server may do so. Then GoDaddy can be phased out.

Personally, I am without a clue as to any details regarding the running of CPF however, and mainly mention this to encourage the lessening of transition woes, because hopefully, there will be a transition.

CandlePowerForums App

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post

Just wondering if it would be less expensive, relatively less complicated to make CPF on the old (current) server eventually become read only and starting a fresh CPF with a different company, giving us members the option of bringing some of the old threads to the new server somehow. Those members who want to put in the time and effort to migrate content from the old server may do so. Then GoDaddy can be phased out.

Personally, I am without a clue as to any details regarding the running of CPF however, and mainly mention this to encourage the lessening of transition woes, because hopefully, there will be a transition.

CandlePowerForums App
    Ummm.... I don't understand anything you just posted so I'm going to go with - it can't be done. Starting a fresh CPF? Are you kidding? I know several thousand members who would hunt me down and do really bad things to me if I did that!!!!

I just read someone saying that they are unwilling to read so many pages of a thread about radios so the member is just going to ask a question without taking the time to research. Those folks wanting to retain their legacy could perhaps take their time and effort to transfer the info. But, like I said, I am unfamiliar with these matters and am sorry you do not understand.

CandlePowerForums App

Flashaholic*

Sorry your having problems with Tapatalk.
    I started using Tapatalk 5 or 6 years ago, first as the free version then finally as the Pro pay version. The recent up grades made it unusable and I deleted it. I followed 6 different forums that were Tapatalk enabled, but there all gone now.

As for merging the market place back into the fold so to speak, I wasn't sure why it was split off in the first place. I think I've used the market place less than a dozen times.

What some forums have done is to allow paid membership to post classified ads and charged non paying members 1 or 2 classified postings after 25 real posts not just bumping a thread.

Don't know if you know Jen over at the FalFiles or if shes still around but you might ask what other BB owners are doing. Your not alone.

Some clarifications -

Tapatalk is the platform used for the forum apps that I created for CPF and the MP. I did that so members would not have to use Tapatalk - they could go to their mobile app store and just download the apps.. no muss, no fuss, no dealing with Tapatalk for the members. But that didn't make it so I didn't have to deal with Tapatalk and the idiots who can't seem to figure out basic billing and can't even seem to understand basic English when it is typed in large, red font in as few words as possible. How many times can I tell them that the email address they are using to bill me is NOT a paypal address and they keep dinging my debit card and double billing me and when I tell them to refund me, they refund by paypal to the email address that is NOT a paypal address! GAH!! Anyway... I've found another option for a mobile app and I'm excited to try it out - but it will take some time... and $200...

The reasons for the forums being split years ago are really a non-issue now. It worked for a time during a time when there were other issues to deal with. So let's not get hung up on the why's and such now, k?

As far as fees... I have found a really cool add-on for us that will allow free listings and only a small fee when the item sells. I'm very excited about this too!! Maybe we can have it up and running as soon as tomorrow? I'll be working on it tonight... I'm drinking some BulletProof Coffee now...

Merging CPF Marketplace makes sense to me as a consumer of stuff on CPFM and very occasional seller.

For regular dealers/vendors on CPFM it would make sense to have the two integrated once more; while it isn't a huge hurdle to set up another ID on CPFM, for some new folks it does seem to be a hurdle. Everything in one searchable system should drive more traffic to the Marketplace sub-forum over time so it would seem logical for dealers/vendors to want this.

I'm involved in a photography forum that has an optional sales component that requires a fee of its users who wish to post listings. The fee isn't much. I don't think the presence of a fee for that purpose lessens that community in any way. The devil is of course in the details but I've faith in the powers that be.

I never registered for the marketplace and am growing allergic to managing additional accounts, so I see a merger with CPF as beneficial.

I'm not fond of mobile apps that simply replicate website functionality - thus fail to see the appeal of tapatalk and the like from a user perspective. Mobile browsers are quite capable these days and offer a consistent user experience as opposed to whatever unique spin the app developer decided to throw onto their special snowflake app.

As for fees ... I seriously doubt that one could run CPF on a $9.99/month powweb account, so if that's needed to keep the site running, so be it. I don't object to the principle on B/S/T posts, but the details of the implementation are important.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Ummm.... I don't understand anything you just posted so I'm going to go with - it can't be done. Starting a fresh CPF? Are you kidding? I know several thousand members who would hunt me down and do really bad things to me if I did that!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post

CandlePowerForums App
    I think what KITROBASKIN is referring to the option of moving off VBulletin to a different platform. Another set of forums that I'm an Admin on moved from VBulletin to IP Board (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/). that was a few years ago now, but we had issues with support from VBulletin and the version we were on at the time. The IP Board move had a VBulletin conversion utility that allowed us to migrate users and posts over to the new platform. not sure if it could convert from 2 sets, but I don't see why not, however it was a major undertaking, not without perils.

I like the vBulletin format better actually, and like the idea of merging. only downside I see if that it could make my wallet empty faster with less delays moving between sites.

the truth is... the merge back to one forum was done before it was ever discussed. the talking like it was ever an option was feel good talk only. sorry but that is the truth. now we learn how to deal with the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by bladesmith3 View Post
    the truth is... the merge back to one forum was done before it was ever discussed. the talking like it was ever an option was feel good talk only. sorry but that is the truth. now we learn how to deal with the bugs.
    Ok.