Thread: WTB. Mac's Brass Knurly or other Mac's EDC lights

Default moved to WTB forum. Mac's Brass Knurly or other Mac's EDC lights

moving to WTB forum.

Default Re: WTB. Mac's Brass Knurly or other EDC lights

Any condition will work...

Default Re: WTB. Mac's Brass Knurly or other Mac's EDC lights

Bump for a macs...

Dusty, forgotten Knurlies wanted here...

If wanting to trade, my signature has my stuff I'm offloading...

I been drooling over the Mac Knurly's 18350's for a long time myself. Which inspired me to reach out to Ventureblood on this forum to build be something similar but smaller and 50% more powerful. Why I loved the Mac Knurly?

• Well, you get the capacity of 700mAh up to 5A cells vs. 16340's.
    • Great with pocket clip carry
    • Small enough to serve great inside the pocket
    • Knurling looks amazing
    • small tiny light = wow factor
    • can be made with up to 600 Lumens

Time has now allowed for something even better made IMHO: Fenix E15 Twistie Keychain
    • New IMR 16340's now also have 700mAh and can take 10A
    • at 60mm long (66mm if you include the keychain portion of it) It redefines what tiny powerhouse is.
    • Knurling is incredible. Feels amazing to use with one hand.
    • Pocket carry with ease or in keychain
    • Stock its only 170 Lumens

I myself happily give up on the tailcap clicky aspect if the light feels like its 50% smaller and believe it or not the 18mm body vs. 16mm body is huge difference when pocket carry.
    My E15 in particular is being made into a Direct Drive XPL monster. So, 1500 lumen tiny powerhouse here we come.

If I were you I would message Vinhnugyen or Ventureblood to get you a Fenix E15 and make it direct drive with your choice of XPL, XML2, or XPG2 or even I will purchase another one to turn into an XPE2 DD in hopes of 400 Lumens and 20~30K lux in a 60mm keychain light.

Best,
    bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Bump for brass or other...

Flashaholic*

I have several 2003-2004 vintage Doug Speck knurled brass pieces. I have Doug's knurled 3 * 123 Surefire E series clone brass body, a 1 * 123 brass extension for the body, and a brass E to C head adapter. I was lucky to receive my Doug Speck parts before he stiffed a great many members which gave rise to the only group lawsuit to recover that I'm aware of on CPF. I think the term used at the time for Doug's bodies was "UBH" for "Universal Battery Holder" (Doug also provided a tube to firmly hold a pair of AA cells inside the 3 * 123 body which I also have.)

I will shortly have a Fivemega all copper finned P60 head. I can combine these parts with the following tailcaps which aren't copper or brass: OEM Surefire HA green or silvertone E series tailcaps and a McGizmo HA green tailcap that mechanically allows a single level LED to be run as a high-low. (The tightened tailcap screws down first to make a high resistance low connection and then to make a low resistance high connection.) Don Macleish advised me that he quickly stopped making these after he received a cease-and-desist letter from Surefire claiming that the tailcaps violated a Surefire patent that was sitting on a shelf.

I'm planning to combine the brass body and E to C adapter with a Copper head and one of the mis-matched tailcaps. I'll load a 123 spacer with a Sanyo 2500 mAh 4.35 V 16650 cell capable of continuously driving 2C. I'll drop in a XML-2 3-level P60 drop-in driven at 3 Amps on level 1.

I've found the DS brass body to be heavy enough that it has mostly been a shelf-queen over the past 11 or 12 years. The combo I envision may change that, but I still expect to be willing to part with it.

I see that these pieces aren't mentioned in your 2013 thread. Do they interest you?
    Last edited by lemlux; 05-26-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Anything worth illuminating is worth illuminating to excess.

sorry. I was looking for the UBH a while back. just specifically looking for Macs Knurly EDC triple. if by 2013 thread you are referring to the copper thread linked in my sig, I have no included any brass lights in it, and the FiveMega stuff is listed there....

Flashaholic*

No problem. I didn't read your copper thread closely enough to see that it contained no brass.

Good luck!
    Anything worth illuminating is worth illuminating to excess.