Surefire K2 Cell's discontinued

Illluminator

Newly Enlightened
Is it worth investing in more of them while there is still quantity available or are they discontinued for quality control reasons?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it worth investing in more of them while there is still quantity available or are they discontinued for quality control reasons?

A quick check of the battery page seems to indicate you are correct. Im going to go and practice some breathing exercises and try a remain calm while someone else with more knowledge than I can chime in here.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
K2 is an independent company. I'm sure the cells will still be available even if Surefire quits selling them.

Im interested in the why?

The more expensive li-on offerings?

This feel$ reminiscent of "technically the G2X isn't a weapon light".

Am I up the wrong creek here?

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to understand why corporations make decisions will just make your brain go :poof:.

If you really need to know, you can call Surefire.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Trying to understand why corporations make decisions will just make your brain go :poof:.

2) If you really need to know, you can call Surefire.

1) Excellent point. I think it$ obvious. I keep waiting for SF's "Rocky" moment, when they just come out swinging with SOLID at decent bucks - $100 - $200 - $300, hell, show me a brick with decent runtime and I'll throw down $400.... Whats funny is IMO and MY experience their sub $100 lights are by far the most dependable - rugged lights they offer. 6PX / G2X are just solid little buggers, the Furys ain't bad either. The P3X is annoying thought. $86 bucks for 1" more aluminum? Really? :poke:

2) Yeah.... calling SF to gather info is never confusing, depending on the price of rice, todays horoscope, or global warming. :shrug:

3) Sad Forrest :mecry:

Last edited:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the end, it probably is about the money and I don't fault them for it one bit. It's business after all.

Regarding the budget Surefire's (G2X&6PX), while I still see them as an incredible value and prefer the form factor and runtime over the Fury, the damn polycarbonate lens and plastic bezel ring is a serious weak point. I'd GLADLY pay more if they change this over to a bezel ring similar to the Fury with a glass lens. The threading at the edge of the bezel is so thin, that minor drops deform the edge and the lens gets hazy with minimal use.

When first released, they also lacked springs in the head which meant they weren't an ideal choice for weapon mounting. The multi-mode ones suffered from mode change issues when bumped. I believe these issue have been eliminated since.

If the lens was user serviceable, I'd say no big deal, but they won't send you a new lens. I've tried to get one. I can say the previous gen E Series lights are HARDCORE. Time will tell how the new gen 500 lumen ones hold up, but I know they've had their quirks too.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can say the previous gen E Series lights are HARDCORE.

I can tell you had something passionate to say by your deleted post. PM me... Forrest hears it all!

Also, what you mentioned about the E series....... I couldn't agree more that prooved as a major tipping point in my decision to jump ship. I had the opportunity to play with a few old time SF's, I looked around the table and said " THIS IS NOT THAT!" referring to the newer lights ( all sorts ).

The polycarbonate does scratch very easily on the cheaper X series. It cleans up easily with brasso. That said, beleive it or not SL polycarbonate is thinner and actually flexes but is extremely durable and scratch resistant. Interesting stuff they used.

All that said, I fear Im taking us off the trail...... Lets get back on before somebody deservingly cooks Forrest...

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
K2 is an independent company. I'm sure the cells will still be available even if Surefire quits selling them.

For what it's worth, K2 Energy still has them listed on their site. The batteries sold by SureFire actually came from a distributor (House of Batteries) which is located just down the street from the SureFire facilities in Fountain Valley.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would purchase Lipo4, AW makes them and even though they may be slightly less mah, I would only recommend AW cells.

Others will have there own recommendations.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
I was going to purchase a Surefire rechargeable kit the other day and noticed it was gone. Any recommendations where I can get something similar?

snakyjake

Enlightened
I have no problem buying batteries from a manufacturing company making batteries for the U.S. Navy.
You can buy K2 batteries direct.

I've been very happy with LFPs, and that's the only lithium-ion battery I'll buy now (I prefer safety over maximum runtime).

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a while ago I tried to order the K2 batteries direct because SureFire did not have them in stock. Because I only wanted to try a pair, I believe they blew me off. They wanted a lot of money to ship them by FedEx (I think it was) and my discussion with them was condescending to me. Hopefully they have changed their tune.

CandlePowerForums App

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a while ago I tried to order the K2 batteries direct because SureFire did not have them in stock. Because I only wanted to try a pair, I believe they blew me off. They wanted a lot of money to ship them by FedEx (I think it was) and my discussion with them was condescending to me. Hopefully they have changed their tune.

CandlePowerForums App

That is pure crap. In business or just in general, you come off as condescending I am done.

The best is in person, I just turn around and walk away, once in awhile I look back to watch them pick their jaw up off the floor and giggle at them a little just for funzies.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
They insisted that the batteries be shipped overnight, or the still expensive '2 day option'; I do not remember. Perhaps a member can relate more recent experience with them. They really gave me the run around.

snakyjake

Enlightened
I had great experiences with K2 when I contacted them to ask all my questions regarding their battery safety research.

Their shipping options leave more to be desired. But I do see Amazon (via Adorama) has 2 x LFP123A for $22.50 shipped.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Out of curiousity, why are you drawn to the K2 cells instead of a single lithium ion battery (16650, or 17670)?

yorab

Newly Enlightened
I posted the following in another thread about K2 after they ticked me off a bit. With such high shipping and handling charges (to Pennsylvania), I expected a much quicker delivery. I didn't get them overnight; I didn't get them in 2 days; I didn't get them in 3 days; I didn't get them in 10 days; I got them in 11 days . Not sure why they have such sky-high shipping and handling charges:

"I ordered these not long ago directly from the manufacturer. Yes, ridiculously high shipping and handling charges. I needed these to be shipped to a friend of mine in Pennsylvania because he was coming to visit me in Singapore and he could bring them to me in his carry-on.

Shipping took 3 days (should have been overnight for the price that I paid), but K2 sat on the order for 8 days before shipping out. The cells arrived at my friend's house the day after he left for Singapore. The cells are now at his house in PA while he is here in Singapore. Needless to say that I didn't get a chance to try these out.

For the high shipping and handling charges, I had expected much better on the handling side, and perhaps a bit faster on the shipping side. But perhaps I expect too much since Amazon shipping is 100% free to Singapore for orders over US$125 and I usually get the products in less time than it took for K2 to send to my friend's place in PA.

Yes, a bit disgruntled..."

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
They insisted that the batteries be shipped overnight, or the still expensive '2 day option'; I do not remember. Perhaps a member can relate more recent experience with them. They really gave me the run around.

I posted the following in another thread about K2 after they ticked me off a bit. With such high shipping and handling charges (to Pennsylvania), I expected a much quicker delivery. I didn't get them overnight; I didn't get them in 2 days; I didn't get them in 3 days; I didn't get them in 10 days; I got them in 11 days . Not sure why they have such sky-high shipping and handling charges:

"I ordered these not long ago directly from the manufacturer. Yes, ridiculously high shipping and handling charges. I needed these to be shipped to a friend of mine in Pennsylvania because he was coming to visit me in Singapore and he could bring them to me in his carry-on.

Shipping took 3 days (should have been overnight for the price that I paid), but K2 sat on the order for 8 days before shipping out. The cells arrived at my friend's house the day after he left for Singapore. The cells are now at his house in PA while he is here in Singapore. Needless to say that I didn't get a chance to try these out.

For the high shipping and handling charges, I had expected much better on the handling side, and perhaps a bit faster on the shipping side. But perhaps I expect too much since Amazon shipping is 100% free to Singapore for orders over US$125 and I usually get the products in less time than it took for K2 to send to my friend's place in PA.

Yes, a bit disgruntled..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bbxzoG5Ek