My Surefire M3T / KX9 hybrid project -> UNR Commander

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I must confess, I have lust in my heart for the Surefire UNR Commander due to its sleek, long styling and great looks: http://flashlightguide.com/2014/02/review-surefire-unr-commander/

However, I just couldn't commit to that sexy, sleek, expensive light because of its limited and (most likely) soon-to-be-obsolete proprietary battery system.

But behold the Surefire KX9 head, a 500 lumen replacement head for Surefire M-series lights: http://flashlightguide.com/2013/05/surefire-kx9-and-kx9t/

With only a single output, it's not as versatile as the UNR Commander, but this system can run on primaries (3xCR123) and (hopefully) rechargeable (2x17500) lithium ions without a proprietary battery carrier. And it's going to be sleek, when installed on a Surefire M3T body...

And if 500 lumens isn't enough in the long term, Surefire is now rolling out 800 lumen versions of this head. I'll upgrade to the 800 whenever OD green versions are available to match my incoming M3T body.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Re: Surefire KX9 head and lithium ion batteries?

The head is here! And the Surefire M3T body arrives on Thursday...

I've had a nice discussion with one of our subject matter experts here on the board, and I have some confidence in running this light on 2x17500 lithium ion batteries. Anyone else with experience running this particular head on that combo of cells, or any combo of two lithium ions? Please chime in...

88C588B3-472D-4191-A1E7-D24B6351DBFB_zpsvims9nlu.jpg

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice lego idea. I can't believe nobody has already tried or done this. I am going to subscribe to see how this goes. Should be interesting. I would like to see beam shots too if it all works out right. Good luck on this one. I love me some SF legos!

:popcorn:

JohnSmith

Enlightened

Nice lego idea. I can't believe nobody has already tried or done this. I am going to subscribe to see how this goes. Should be interesting. I would like to see beam shots too if it all works out right. Good luck on this one. I love me some SF legos!

If you do a google image search, you'll find a few examples on some Asian discussion forums. One of the examples is this head on a C2 body, which looks great. This head is designed to run on the M3-series bodies, so what I'm doing is not a big risk. I'm just surprised there aren't more examples of this setup on CPF so I'm making a thread about it.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, glad you brought it up. I love to see the different SF lego possibilities. I get tons of ideas from there. I am off to google images of your project.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have several M3 lights. One uses an LED from Lumens Factory in the place of the incandescent bulb. Nice form factor, nice warm light. Probably not as bright as yours.... It runs fine on 2 17500 batteries. I'm attracted to the SF turbo head KX9T. Post some images when you can!

JohnSmith

Enlightened

I'm attracted to the SF turbo head KX9T. Post some images when you can!

Will do. Looks like my M3T will be delivered today, ahead of schedule.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice lego idea. I can't believe nobody has already tried or done this...:popcorn:

Actually I did this back in July of 2013! Hopefully JohnSmith can post the pictures I sent him!

kelmo

BU2(SCW)

Newly Enlightened
Re: My Surefire M3T / KX9 hybrid project

I have a M3LT which has a KX9T head ( I know it's not the exact same head) but it runs fine on 17500 lithium ions.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

JohnSmith

Enlightened

I have a M3LT which has a KX9T head ( I know it's not the exact same head) but it runs fine on 17500 lithium ions.

Thanks for confirming that, I appreciate your input. Gives me a little more confidence to try it, and it's timely because...

JohnSmith

Enlightened

She lives!

I just now received the body, and have only tried 3xCR123. It's bright, very bright. It's brighter than the second highest level in my 800 lumen UB3T. Close up, the KX9 has more spill than the UB3T. I'm sure the UB3T will throw farther, but to the extent of my back yard both beams have a similar profile.

This light feels great in the hand. Shorter than the UB3T, and with the narrower head, you could actually slip it into a pocket with the right pair of pants.

F35FBC7B-F84E-47D9-A022-09677223E684_zpsyarzudyn.jpg

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

The head is here! And the Surefire M3T body arrives on Thursday...

I've had a nice discussion with one of our subject matter experts here on the board, and I have some confidence in running this light on 2x17500 lithium ion batteries. Anyone else with experience running this particular head on that combo of cells, or any combo of two lithium ions? Please chime in...

88C588B3-472D-4191-A1E7-D24B6351DBFB_zpsvims9nlu.jpg

Omg I didn't know it came in green (or natural?) ha. Either way Makes me want to buy the mint l6 lumamax on the cpfm recently. Just checked, thankfully he withdrew it since lol

BU2(SCW)

Newly Enlightened

That looks like a very nice form factor.

JohnSmith

Enlightened

I'm happy to say I just ran it for several minutes on 2X17500 without incident. No bangs, flashes or fizzles. Brightness to my eye is equal to the output on 3XCR123.

2C7967DF-EDF7-41C5-B78C-7A9954D739B8_zpsaav7mn3z.jpg

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait until you get it out in an open field!

BU2(SCW)

Newly Enlightened

I have to admit I kind of want one of these now.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow. That looks really good! And SF is going to come out with an 800L version? I may have to look into this. Do you have any beamshots compared to a UB3T?

edit: SF has already updated to 800L. It's just in BK.

Last edited: