Xtar VP2 charger- Orbtronic 14500 protected 840mah question

k.stoner

Newly Enlightened
Newb here so please take it easy on me....... Charger is an Xtar VP2 with settings of 3.2, 3.6 and 3.8 volts. The protected Orbtronic 840mah 14500 batteries I bought are rated at 3.7 volts. Which voltage setting should I use? I did find in the description on the Orbtronics site that I should charge them at the .25A setting instead of .5A or 1.0. I'm going to be using them in a Sunwayman V11r. Thank you in advance......

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newb here so please take it easy on me....... Charger is an Xtar VP2 with settings of 3.2, 3.6 and 3.8 volts. The protected Orbtronic 840mah 14500 batteries I bought are rated at 3.7 volts. Which voltage setting should I use? I did find in the description on the Orbtronics site that I should charge them at the .25A setting instead of .5A or 1.0. I'm going to be using them in a Sunwayman V11r. Thank you in advance......

.25 amps is gentlest on the cell, but if you want to speed it up a little, .5 amps will be just fine as well. Charging at one amp is definitely not recommended...that would exceed the max specified current for charging.

You should use the 3.6 volt setting. The nominal voltage is just an approximation...most cells will spend almost all their time at some other voltage. The 3.6 volt setting terminates at 4.2 volts, which is what you want for a standard LiCo cell. The 3.2 volt setting won't get them anywhere near fully charged (well under half of max capacity, in fact) while the 3.8 volt setting terminates at 4.35 volts, and will attempt to overcharge until the protection circuit cuts in.

Hope that helps!

k.stoner

Newly Enlightened
.25 amps is gentlest on the cell, but if you want to speed it up a little, .5 amps will be just fine as well. Charging at one amp is definitely not recommended...that would exceed the max specified current for charging.

You should use the 3.6 volt setting. The nominal voltage is just an approximation...most cells will spend almost all their time at some other voltage. The 3.6 volt setting terminates at 4.2 volts, which is what you want for a standard LiCo cell. The 3.2 volt setting won't get them anywhere near fully charged (well under half of max capacity, in fact) while the 3.8 volt setting terminates at 4.35 volts, and will attempt to overcharge until the protection circuit cuts in.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Hope that helps!