Brightest flashlight in the $50 range?

alphaoccam

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I work security, don't have a lot of money. Sometimes I'm patrolling responding to alarm calls. Would like a BRIGHT light as I am not able to carry on all posts.

I own a couple old 4 cell maglites, various xml-T6 lights (The brightest being a 3x's XML T6 supposedly 3800 lm and I know it's not even close to that.), hoping to find something brighter.

I have heard about mag light upgrade kits open to that, also various night core lights as well as Thrunight lights.

I could spend as much as 75 or hundred but would really like to keep it around 50 if possible.

size is not important I don't care if it fits in your pocket or if you have to keep it in a holster, I just want as bright as you can get for the money.

thank you in advance for any input.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the following lights. All are under $60 and all have output over 900 lumens. These are all probably going to be brighter than your "3800 lumen" lights. I'm assuming it is an ultrafire, uniquefire, or some other knock off brand that highly overrates their output.
EagleTac P200LC2
Nitecore EC20
Rofis PR22

:welcome:

alphaoccam

Newly Enlightened
Check out the following lights. All are under $60 and all have output over 900 lumens. These are all probably going to be brighter than your "3800 lumen" lights. I'm assuming it is an ultrafire, uniquefire, or some other knock off brand that highly overrates their output.
EagleTac P200LC2
Nitecore EC20
Rofis PR22

:welcome:

Thank you for the feedback, yeah the 3x XML-T6 is an Ultrafire, I thought it was great when I first bought it. Until I started reading about efficiency and how the "fire" knockoffs are overrated as hell.

I bought a Streamlight TLR-1 HL and was amazed this little bitty gun light was brighter or just as bright as the supposed 3800LM.

wjv

Enlightened
Which is more important to you. . .

A light that generates a lot of Flood (wide area but not a huge amount of throw)

A light that has a lot of throw

alphaoccam

Newly Enlightened
Mostly need it for up close blinding power, so I'm guessing flood? Would like to buy two lights, one each.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
XML and XML2 LEDs are pretty floody by nature.

Another option would be a Sportac 18650 Triple, and a Solarforce host of your choosing (I really like the L2N personally).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
go straight to the Thrunite website/store and buy a TN4AA. For $50 you get 1167 OTF lumens with a thermal stepdown as opposed to timed. For the price the light cannot be beat

yannisgk

Newly Enlightened
go straight to the Thrunite website/store and buy a TN4AA. For $50 you get 1167 OTF lumens with a thermal stepdown as opposed to timed. For the price the light cannot be beat

(i bought a skyray "junk" for $28 from ebay that says it "gives out" 20000lm (i don't remember exactly), but it's for sure much much smaller and brighter than a trustfire 15000lm).

Besides that, i would go with CelticCross' advice.

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Under 50$ hmm.. I think the best bang for buck would be thrunite tn12 only around 44$.Thrunite tn4a is also a great option if you like soda can like style.These both are the best I could think of for 50$.If you can go up cosider fenix tk series or the olight baton series.

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
I'm very tempted to suggest the 2015 Nitecore P12. 1000 lumens, 232m throw, single 18650, compact design. A bit over your preferred budget at $60, but looks like a great light in every respect.

—DragonLord

bdogps

Enlightened
I would suggest either the TN 11s v2 or the TN t30s v2(I think Thrunite has it on special at the moment). Both under 50$ Both have low-medium-max lumens. The both also have instant strobe as well.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very tempted to suggest the 2015 Nitecore P12. 1000 lumens, 232m throw, single 18650, compact design. A bit over your preferred budget at $60, but looks like a great light in every respect.

—DragonLord
These tiny tube lights don't offer the high output for very long, most likely just long enough to get the ANSI FL1 rating.

And they really won't throw much either. A 'good' SKyRay King (or clone) with 3-4 XM-L2's will STOMP all over something like the P12 in output and have a much larger hotspot and much brighter spill beam. And won't step down after a couple of mins.