• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Haiku

doesntexist

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys ... I've been wanting to purchase a Haiku but I think I am doing the email process all wrong. I'm guessing they are too busy to answer some questions hence why there are strict ordering instructions. I am stuck tho... So I want a Haiku but I don't know what variations there are and what it is I need? I have seen some with a nice new clip design and someone mentioned they go as high as maybe 500 lumens? I however don't know how to read the output charts nor know what variations there are. I did try to read through the Haiku thread as well. Can anyone help out?

archimedes

Flashaholic
The highest output (stock) Haiku would be the XM-L 2xCR123A version, listed at about 325 lumens.

The XM-L AquaRam makes 450 lumen driven at 1400 mAh, but can be programmed to increase the output to (driver-limited at) 2200 mAh. That maximum drive may produce excessive heat, however, and is not officially recommended or supported.

nbp

Flashaholic
With the Haiku, you have the option of three different LEDs (Nichia 119, Cree XM-L and Cree XP-G2) and four battery packs (1xAA, 2xAA, 1xCR123, 2xCR123) and three converters (AA optimized, ~3v, ~6v). If you can share with us your preferred beam pattern or tint (throw, flood, good color rendition, etc) and battery preferences (AA, CR123, li-ion rechargeables) we can suggest a combination that will best suit you.

nbp

Flashaholic
Any further questions or did you figure out what you were after? It's hard to know if people don't revisit their thread to update. :poke:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Haiku, you have the option of three different LEDs (Nichia 119, Cree XM-L and Cree XP-G2) and four battery packs (1xAA, 2xAA, 1xCR123, 2xCR123) and three converters (AA optimized, ~3v, ~6v). If you can share with us your preferred beam pattern or tint (throw, flood, good color rendition, etc) and battery preferences (AA, CR123, li-ion rechargeables) we can suggest a combination that will best suit you.
Hi nbp,
Can i check which of the driver/converter is suitable for 1.5V AA & 3.6V AA?
I plan to use 14500 cells as my main & 1.5V as backups..
Thank you.

nbp

Flashaholic
You can use the AA optimized converter in that case, but you won't get any more output when you are using the 14500 vs. the regular AA, only more heat. That converter is really ideal for alkalines/NiMH usage, with occasional li-ion usage, not as much the other way around. You can do it, but you miss out a little. If you are generally going to use the 14500, I'd say just go for the ~3v converter which runs happily on li-ions. That's how I have mine set up. That way I can swap a CR123 tube onto it too when I want to.

qmtu

Enlightened
Got shipping notification for Haiku XP-G2 1x123.
I'm excited.
Do you think I can hammer nails with it like with my Elzetta?

jkid1911

Enlightened
No matter the lumens, you will enjoy and own the best light in it's class in the history of flashlights!

This thread has gone in a few different directions, but one thing is for sure, please read this statement again~! :thumbsup:

qmtu

Enlightened
Well my XP-G2 1xCR123 Haiku got here.
It was well packed in a Priority Mail heavy cardboard box. I had company for dinner, so I hurriedly cut the tapes with a pair of scissors, then took the box to my room to finish opening it.
Inside, the package was taped to the box, to keep it from rattling. I fumbled for a minute or 2 before I can untape the bubble wrap around the flashlight itself.

All I can say is I'm extremely happy with the flashlight, and all buyer's remorse vanished as soon as I picked it up, put a battery in, and cycled through the 3 light levels.
Compared to my Elzetta flashlights of anodized aircraft aluminum, which feel heavy, tanklike, and cool, the Haiku feels tanklike, and warm!
The design shows character, and definitely in a different class than the mass produced lights.
The color temperature is perfect for me. I agonized between the XM-L2, XP-G2, and CRI, and finally decided on XP-G2. The color is not bluish cold like a fluorescent light, and not too yellow, like an incandescent light. At 4500K, it is just on the warm side of neutral, enough to give a relaxing color.
The beam has enough throw to walk the dog at night. It lights up my long driveway and the tree across the street. The spill is very proportional, and gets larger at the brighter settings. The spill is a gentle transition from the center spot.

Having recently played with the 960 lumen Nitecore SRT7, the 650 lumen Elzetta Bravo, and the 900 lumen Elzetta Charlie, I was worried that the maximum 200 lumens of the Haiku would not satisfy me. This worry was unfounded.
On the low setting, the Haiku was as bright as the 15 lumen low setting of the Elzetta, when placed next to each other. When I placed the Haiku and Elzetta next to each other, I could see a difference between the highest setting of the Haiku and the 900 lumens of the Elzetta, but when I used them individually, the throw and spill of the Haiku is the same functionally as the Elzetta, as it can light up as far ahead, and as brightly, as my eyes would care to look. Inside my bedroom, it matches and outshines my ceiling light with 4x75W LED bulbs.

The Haiku looks and feels classic enough to be an heirloom piece, but it feels strong enough that I feel confident carrying it around, and not put it in a velvet box.

This flashlight makes me forget about well-built mass produced flashlights. It makes me forget about lumen counts.
I came to this forum looking for a flashlight that is high quality, powerful, and reliable. I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole, and my adventure is just beginning.
And I'm enjoying it.

I think the 4500 lumen XP-G2 is the perfect emitter for me. Next I'll probably covet the AA version of XP-G2 with the 1xAA body, which I could use with both heads.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story, glad you came back and updated the thread.

I got a kick out of your lights arrival story. That is so funny. I have had a long waited for custom light arrived during a party on a Saturday. I ducked off in the back room to open it and check it out. Everyone is like where did he go?? Wife: "some silly flashlight came in". Me: "I have been waiting 2 months for this cheap light to get here from China" :thinking:

By the way, this rabbit hole is a deep one!

What clip did you get? Standard, Etched or May be Etched with 1/4" mount?? My fav is the latter.

qmtu

Enlightened
No......
I'm in serious trouble, I'm having visions of Cool Fall Spy 007 in my head.
MUST... RESIST...

jkid1911

Enlightened
CONGRATS on your Haiku and I know you'll grow to love it even more than you already do! ENJOY!