First post and first question.

• Thread starter BowHunterBrandon
  • Start date
B

BowHunterBrandon

Hello everyone. I have been doing some searches and alot of reading on your forums here. Great information. Ill try to keep this post short but I want to give some info on what brought me to your board.
I am an a hunting and outdoor junky. I love to both bow hunt and backpack and on a recent backpacking trip got to use a fellow hikers LED headlamp. I loved it and picked one out that I wanted for Christmas. My wife did her own research and bought me a Streamlight Trident with the green LED ( for night vision and to not spook game) and the xenon bulb ( very cool ). Anyway I took it out duck hunting over the weekend and it seemed to spook the geese off the water in the dark and it also seemed to blind my hunting budy. This was all with the green LED on. I really like this headlamp and it would break my wifes heart if I ask her to return it. However, it apears from alot of reading ( mostly on this sight ) that the green LED does not preserve night vision and will spook game. Im not sure how the company can say things on there packaging that is untrue but aparently they are.
So here is my Question: Is it possible for me to change the Green LED to a Red LED? I would also need to keep the unit as water tight as possible.
Thanks for any information you can give.

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened
what type of green led is it a luxeon star or 5 mm i may be able to help you out a lil i just recied a few red 5mms and geting 5 red luxeon stars next week oh and welcome to cpf

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

I'm not familiar with that product, and while it may be possible to swap out the LED, why take the risk? If your wife bought this based on an 'agressive' marketing claim, there is nothing for her to feel bad about. I would return it for a full refund. Then I would then try to determine beforehand, either on this forum or elsewhere, which headlamp can really be used without spooking game.

One other alternative - try fitting the lamp with a 'neutral density' filter. A neutral density filter is a gray filter which reduces brightness levels without affecting the color. Perhaps the lamp is too bright as is and just requires a little 'toning down'. ND filters are common among photographic circles. I don't know if any are designed specifically for headlamps.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Brandon,

Welcome to CPF.

I believe StreamLight's advertising states that the green light will make you visible to other hunters. The eye is most sensitive to the green color. I do believe that most wildlife can also see the green color.

I do not believe I have ever heard of anyone mistaking a green LED for a wild animal and shooting it... So, it must work...

I have a Trident with white LED's that I use while tinkering on my truck. I would suggest that you trade your green version for a white version, then figure out a way to mod one of the LED's to red (the one that turns on by itself). That would give you a variety of choices to use.

Good luck,
Tom

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Yes...Streamlight promotes the green lights as hunter recognition lights. As to spooking game....deer are supposed to be color blind....turkey can see colot....ducks and geese, I don't know.

B

BowHunterBrandon

Thanks for the replies everyone.
SilverFox my trident is just like yours. One LED or Two or the bulb but the one is green. I have decided that I really like the setup of this headlamp and want to go and change the LED to a red so my question is how do I tell what type it is luxeon star or 5 mm ?