Interesting LED Nightlight - Snap Power

slebans

Enlightened
I bought 10 of these last month and have been hesitant to install them. I was hoping someone here with an electrical background would be able to comment on the product's safety. I have an electrician booked in a couple of weeks for another matter and was going to ask their opinion.

lgordon

Newly Enlightened
I installed one in my master bath. I really liked the aesthetic and the nightlight in the bathroom. However, I found it was too bright for sleeping as the bathroom opens to the bedroom. Usually my bathroom gets enough light anyways from the driveway light through the window. Really cool product though. Can't comment on the safety but I can't really see any issues. Would prefer choice of color temperatures.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Ha! That's pretty cool.

I installed led permanent light guides in a long dark hallway for the kids and guests. However, they replace the entire outlet and are glaring when walking through at night because they are just bright lights that are flush with the wall. This would have been a better solution.

Now ow I need to figure out another place to put those so I can justify getting theae for the hall.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
These look really cool but I'll wait for a review first.

I would be nervous about installing something that piggy-backs off the AC...

slebans

Enlightened
These look really cool but I'll wait for a review first.

I would be nervous about installing something that piggy-backs off the AC...

That is exactly why I have not installed them yet. Hopefully, someone in this forum works in this area and can comment on any safety concerns. I would be more than happy to send several units to such a person for inspection/review.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there something beyond the UL rating that you are looking for? A CE mark, maybe?

Clipping onto the AC contacts is unusual, to be sure, but is it a risk? The current draw is very very small. A modest contact resistance won't produce significant heating.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
Years ago we bought a similar wall plate called "Limelite". These were an EL panel molded into a standard wall plate design, with a thin potentiometer on one side to adjust the light output. They also had the side thingies that piggy-backed the AC power from the device screws. Never had a problem with them, these LED plates are very similar in design and I would trust them.

What makes you think that they would be any more dangerous than any other Chinese made cheap devices you likely already have plugged in all over your home? Theoretically a USB wall charger could just as easily set your house on fire whilst you are away!

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I would have more confidence in the UL certification than what some individual has to say about the lights. If it has passed UL testing, that is pretty much all you need to know.

I work with guys from UL and Intertek, both companies are very thorough. If they say it's safe, then that is all I need to know....assuming the product will be used in the manner it is designed to be used.

slebans

Enlightened
I respect the UL mark and what it stands for. But with Snap Power we have a brand new product utilizing a non standard method to attach directly to the mains. New and non standard translates into no long term safety data which is why I asked for feedback in this forum.