Repairing a CREE XM-L T6 bike HeadLight

spectr3

Newly Enlightened
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/111339784749-0-0/s-l140.jpg

Image tags removed see Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

I bought one of these headlights for my bike and it was fine for a few months and bought another one that I eventually realized from the blinky switch that was showing red that it needed 8.4V. As I got it for less than £5 I decided to test if the first light I bought wanted 8.4V too.. and it died! So, I bought a couple of XM-L T6 LEDs for it and soldered one on, tested it with 4.2V, it worked fine, then I screwed the lens cover back on and tested it again... and it was dead! I couldn't see why.. but continued to just solder another T6 to it and that one seemed fine.

I went out and used the light on the bike today and noticed it was occasionally just turning itself off. Eventually, it just wouldn't turn back on via the switch and I had to disconnect the power from it to get it to turn back on. A short while later the LED was extremely dim - barely even visible and has since stayed like that. The rear little switch LED was also blinking when on blink mode which was odd. Maybe there's a short? I tried powering the LED directly with 4V but it doesn't shine bright at all anymore.. barely even visible.

Any idea what happened?

Should I just replace both driver and LED? If so, what type of driver should I use for a X-ML T6? I would prefer to use a 2x 26650 battery pack I made too so a 7.2+V driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

znomit

Enlightened
As I got it for less than £5
I screwed the lens cover back on and tested it again... and it was dead!
Any idea what happened?
Some of these lights run off 4V and some 8V.
You may have shorted the LED when screwing the front back on.

Looks like you did pretty well for £5. Maybe £25 would get you something reliable?